2017 Season - National Perspective

Started by D3soccerwatcher, August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3soccerwatcher

Here's my best guess at 2017 picks for each D3 conference.  Plus my Top 5 overall preseason picks.  Let's get the conversation started.

Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference – PENN STATE-BEHREND
American Southwest Conf -  TEXAS-DALLAS
Capital Athletic Conf – MARY WASHINGTON
Centennial Conf – FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
City Univ of NY Athletic Conf – STATEN ISLAND
College Conf of Illinois & Wisconsin – CARTHAGE
Colonial States Athletic Conf – IMMACULATA
Commonwealth Coast Conf – GORDON
Empire 8 Conf – HOUGHTON
Great Northeast Athletic Conf – ST. JOSEPH'S (MAINE)
Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conf – TRANSYLVANIA
Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conf – LORAS
Landmark Conf – SCRANTON
Liberty League – VASSAR
Little East Conf – MASS-BOSTON
Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conf – WORCESTER STATE
Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Assoc – CALVIN
Middle Atlantic Conf Commonwealth – MESSIAH
Middle Atlantic Conf Freedom – EASTERN
Midwest Conf – ST NORBERT
Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conf – ST THOMAS
New England Women's & Men's Athletic Conf – BABSON
New England Collegiate Conf - NEWBURY
New England Small College Athletic Conf – AMHERST
New Jersey Athletic Conf – ROWAN
North Atlantic Conf – THOMAS
North Coast Athletic Conf – KENYON
North Eastern Athletic Conf – MORRISVILLE STATE
Northern Athletic Collegiate Conf – BENEDICTINE
Northwest Conf – WHITWORTH
Ohio Athletic Conf – OHIO NORTHERN
Old Dominion Athletic Conf – LYNCHBERG
President's Athletic Conf – GROVE CITY
Skyline Conf – MOUNT SAINT MARY
Southern Athletic Conf – OGLETHORPE
Southern Cal Inter Athletic Conf – REDLANDS
Southern Collegiate Athletic Conf – TRINITY (TEXAS)
St Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conf – WESTMINSTER (MO)
State Univ of NY Athletic Conf – SUNY CORTLAND
Univ Athletic Assoc – CHICAGO
Upper Midwest Athletic Conf – UW-SUPERIOR
USA South Athletic Conf – MARYVILLE (TENN)

My preseason TOP 5 (in no particular order).  Ask me again tomorrow and this list could change – but here's my thinking as of right now.
CALVIN
MESSIAH
FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
ROWAN
KENYON

TUFTS – did not make my conference list because they have never won the NESCAC in the modern history of the conference's championship play.  However, they are the reigning national champs, so they must also be mentioned here as a top preseason pick.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on August 11, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
Here's my best guess at 2017 picks for each D3 conference.  Plus my Top 5 overall preseason picks.  Let's get the conversation started.

Skyline Conf – MERCHANT MARINE

USMMA's 2017 men's soccer season has been cancelled. Ongoing federal investigation into sexual harassment/hazing/assault matters, relating to both the soccer team and the academy at large. Ugly stuff.

Anyway, Mount Saint Mary or Old Westbury would seem to be the new best bets in this conference.

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Caz Bombers on August 11, 2017, 11:39:44 PM

Skyline Conf – MERCHANT MARINE

USMMA's 2017 men's soccer season has been cancelled. Ongoing federal investigation into sexual harassment/hazing/assault matters, relating to both the soccer team and the academy at large. Ugly stuff.

Anyway, Mount Saint Mary or Old Westbury would seem to be the new best bets in this conference.

Wow!  I missed that when I was going through the conferences.  I'll have to move my pick to Mount Saint Mary.  Thanks!

Caz Bombers

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on August 12, 2017, 11:50:35 PM
Quote from: OldNed on August 12, 2017, 08:53:24 PM

New England Collegiate Conf - DANIEL WEBSTER

Daniel Webster folded last year.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Daniel-Webster-College-in-New-Hampshire-Officially-Shuts-Down-425120194.html

Thank you for that update. I will change my pick for the NECC to REGIS.

Regis switched to the GNAC for this season. Wanna try for Door Number Three?  ;D

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Caz Bombers on August 13, 2017, 10:22:47 AM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on August 12, 2017, 11:50:35 PM
Quote from: OldNed on August 12, 2017, 08:53:24 PM

New England Collegiate Conf - DANIEL WEBSTER

Daniel Webster folded last year.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Daniel-Webster-College-in-New-Hampshire-Officially-Shuts-Down-425120194.html

Thank you for that update. I will change my pick for the NECC to REGIS.

Regis switched to the GNAC for this season. Wanna try for Door Number Three?  ;D

After a bit of research I see that you are certainly correct.  Thank you!  So Door Number Three it is...NEWBURY.

Mr.Right

Unreal...I had not known about this Merchant Marine mess...That is serious stuff to have the President CANCEL a season completely.

d3soccerfreak

Anyone think Montclair State could challenge for the NJAC title? They are usually a tough squad year in and year out.

franklyspeaking

Montclair has an "ok" team and they really did not add much this year.  Rowan will be the clear favorite in the NJAC.

Dog Face

On the NECC discussion above, look for Dean College to make some serious noise.  Not sure how the rules work given their transition to D3 (whether or not there is a transition period before they can compete in post-season play), but they'll be strong in that conference.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Dog Face on August 15, 2017, 09:26:05 AM
On the NECC discussion above, look for Dean College to make some serious noise.  Not sure how the rules work given their transition to D3 (whether or not there is a transition period before they can compete in post-season play), but they'll be strong in that conference.

I would tend to agree with this statement because Dean has had some very talented sides in the JC ranks BUT their admission standards will be changing because of the move to D3 and I think they will struggle to attract the same talented skilled players they have in the past. There could be some growing pains here and also I do not think the conference they are joining will help there cause any either.

Shooter McGavin

Plus my Top 5 overall preseason picks.  Let's get the conversation started.

My preseason TOP 5 (in no particular order).  Ask me again tomorrow and this list could change – but here's my thinking as of right now.
CALVIN
MESSIAH
FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
ROWAN
KENYON

TUFTS – did not make my conference list because they have never won the NESCAC in the modern history of the conference's championship play.  However, they are the reigning national champs, so they must also be mentioned here as a top preseason pick.

I'd guess something like this...

1. Tufts (hard not to have them slotted here)
2. Messiah (have to be the favorites for this season)
3. Calvin (A quality side that keeps getting better)
4. Rowan (Loaded once again)
5. Amherst (Lost some key pieces but hard to pick against them)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
St. Thomas, Trinity, Chicago, Kenyon, Brandeis 

D3soccerwatcher

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on August 21, 2017, 04:35:48 PM
Plus my Top 5 overall preseason picks.  Let's get the conversation started.

CALVIN
MESSIAH
FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
ROWAN
KENYON

I'd guess something like this...

1. Tufts (hard not to have them slotted here)
2. Messiah (have to be the favorites for this season)
3. Calvin (A quality side that keeps getting better)
4. Rowan (Loaded once again)
5. Amherst (Lost some key pieces but hard to pick against them)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
St. Thomas, Trinity, Chicago, Kenyon, Brandeis

I did not have Amherst in the my Top 5 mix because they graduated 3 of their 4 top scorers from last year and graduated about 50% of their goals overall.  They also lost a few key defenders.  I just think they will need this year to rebuild a bit, hence I still have them winning the NESCAC (mostly because Tufts just never wins it for some reason), but not in my top 5 overall.

Ejay

Keep an eye on Vassar.  They didn't lose much to graduation and 3 of their 4 loses were 1 goal (SLU, Hobart, E-Town).