IIAC 2017 (Men's Soccer)

Started by d3soccerfreak, August 14, 2017, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Thoughts after the 1st weekend of conference play?

Simpson 1-0  8-0
Wartburg 1-0  5-1-1
Dubuque 1-0  5-2-1
Luther 1-0  4-3-0
BVU 0-0  3-6
Central 0-1  6-1-0
NWU 0-1  5-4-0
Loras 0-1  4-4-0
Coe 0-1  3-5-0

Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

d3soccerfreak

Quote from: doolittledog on September 24, 2017, 12:06:56 PM
Thoughts after the 1st weekend of conference play?

Simpson 1-0  8-0
Wartburg 1-0  5-1-1
Dubuque 1-0  5-2-1
Luther 1-0  4-3-0
BVU 0-0  3-6
Central 0-1  6-1-0
NWU 0-1  5-4-0
Loras 0-1  4-4-0
Coe 0-1  3-5-0

Very interesting so far.

Loras lost to Dubuque, but it looked like this game was very evenly matched. Second year in a row they've lost to Dubuque. I don't know what to make of Loras at this point in the season. They are sitting at 4-4-0 overall. A lot of folks were saying Loras was the favorite to win the conference, so we will see if they win out. They will have to rebound against Nebraska Wesleyan on Saturday.

No suprise with Wartburg beating Coe. Simpson beating Central was big for them, and so far Simpson is off to a great start but can they keep it up when they play Dubuque or Loras? Luther put in a good performance against Nebraska Wesleyan beating them 4-0. Luther is going to be tough in the conference. I think they have the potential to play against Dubuque and Loras very well. I think either BVU or Cornell will finish last in the conference. BVU's already dropped a few games to some NAIA teams.

Dubuquer

I don't know what to think about Loras so far. I'm sure nobody expected them to be 4-4 at this point.  It seems like they are prone to regular defensive lapses at the beginning and end of halves sandwiching what is really some quality play in between.  I know the stats show a very even game against UD but to me it seemed that for most of the game they were pretty firmly in control.  Even against Chicago they gave up very early goals in both halves and then a garbage goal with 2 seconds left but played the #2 team in the country pretty evenly otherwise.  Though they remain a very deep team they are very young and I don't know that they have the same physical ability that they've had in the past and can't count on outrunning and outpressing teams and are instead relying on a more controlled game.  I doubt they connected 5 passes in a row at any point last season but this year crisp passing is a regular feature of the young team.  I'm curious how the IIAC schedule goes for them. I can see them running the table the rest of the way and marching to the NCAAs but I can also see Luther, Wartburg and maybe others taking them down and the Duhawks ending their season early a second year in a row.

d3soccerfreak

Quote from: Dubuquer on September 26, 2017, 04:47:49 PM
I don't know what to think about Loras so far. I'm sure nobody expected them to be 4-4 at this point.  It seems like they are prone to regular defensive lapses at the beginning and end of halves sandwiching what is really some quality play in between.  I know the stats show a very even game against UD but to me it seemed that for most of the game they were pretty firmly in control.  Even against Chicago they gave up very early goals in both halves and then a garbage goal with 2 seconds left but played the #2 team in the country pretty evenly otherwise.  Though they remain a very deep team they are very young and I don't know that they have the same physical ability that they've had in the past and can't count on outrunning and outpressing teams and are instead relying on a more controlled game.  I doubt they connected 5 passes in a row at any point last season but this year crisp passing is a regular feature of the young team.  I'm curious how the IIAC schedule goes for them. I can see them running the table the rest of the way and marching to the NCAAs but I can also see Luther, Wartburg and maybe others taking them down and the Duhawks ending their season early a second year in a row.

Is there a chance a team like NWU could stun Loras tomorrow? And Simpson get past Loras or Dubuque for the IIAC title?

Dubuquer

I think that there is almost no chance that NWU takes down Loras.  The Duhawks will be angry after their loss to UD and will take it out on NWU.  I predict a 4-0 or 5-1 game.

d3soccerfreak

Quote from: Dubuquer on September 27, 2017, 05:28:44 PM
I think that there is almost no chance that NWU takes down Loras.  The Duhawks will be angry after their loss to UD and will take it out on NWU.  I predict a 4-0 or 5-1 game.

I think you're right. By the way, Simpson moved to 9-0-1 tonight with their win over Iowa Wesleyan. UW Platteville beat Dubuque tonight 2-0.

d3soccerfreak

:o NWU beat Loras tonight 3-1! Not good for Loras.

doolittledog

The soccer standings are about as bizarre as the football standings in the IIAC.
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Dubuquer

What did happen at that Loras-NWU game?  Looking at the roster for the game it's clear that something big happened on the team as quite a few of the team, including some starters didn't even travel.  The bench included a lot of guys called up from the reserve squad.  Team rules broken after the UD loss and Rothert cracking down?

d3soccerfreak

Quote from: Dubuquer on October 03, 2017, 10:31:30 AM
What did happen at that Loras-NWU game?  Looking at the roster for the game it's clear that something big happened on the team as quite a few of the team, including some starters didn't even travel.  The bench included a lot of guys called up from the reserve squad.  Team rules broken after the UD loss and Rothert cracking down?

Not sure about the Loras roster, but I did stream the game. Despite the off field issues with Loras, NWU was much hungrier. They won almost every contest for the ball. Loras took them too lightly.

d3soccerfreak

Well, Loras got their first IIAC win tonight as they cruised past Buena Vista 6-0. Central smoked Coe 5-0. Wartburg tied Dubuque 2-2. Simpson had a tough game with NWU but won 2-1.

IIAC Standings:

Simpson, 3-0
Wartburg, 2-0-1
Luther, 2-0
Dubuque, 1-1-1
Loras, 1-2
Nebraska Wesleyan, 1-2
Central, 1-2
Coe, 0-2
Buena Vista, 0-3

They are starting to shape up, but still bizarre. I think Simpson might be coming to form and could very will win the conference this year. Thoughts???

doolittledog

Quote from: d3soccerfreak on October 05, 2017, 12:13:17 AM
Well, Loras got their first IIAC win tonight as they cruised past Buena Vista 6-0. Central smoked Coe 5-0. Wartburg tied Dubuque 2-2. Simpson had a tough game with NWU but won 2-1.

IIAC Standings:

Simpson, 3-0
Wartburg, 2-0-1
Luther, 2-0
Dubuque, 1-1-1
Loras, 1-2
Nebraska Wesleyan, 1-2
Central, 1-2
Coe, 0-2
Buena Vista, 0-3

They are starting to shape up, but still bizarre. I think Simpson might be coming to form and could very will win the conference this year. Thoughts???

Wartburg and Luther seam to be where people were thinking.  UD at 1-1-1 is probably where people saw them...just how they got there is not likely how people would have predicted.  Everybody really, other than Loras and maybe Simpson is within reason of where people were thinking.  Sometimes a coach kicking his team in the rear with some tough love is what that team needs.  With a 6-0 win over BV it would seem like the Duhawk players got the message.  There could be a good chance now they run the table. 

gustiefan04

I've watched one Simpson game, a tie with Augustana, and was not impressed. Certainly improved I think Wartburg and Luther will prove to be the best in the IIAC when its all said and done. I've been able to catch them both a couple times, streaming, and they've looked pretty strong.

Dubuquer

I would love to go up for my homecoming celebration in Decorah and catch the Loras-Luther game on Saturday night but it's not in the cards.  Loras' next three games are Luther, Simpson and Wartburg.  It will be interesting to see the conference standings after those games.  Loras looked good last night vs BV and probably could have played the game without a keeper and still won for all the attack BV was able to muster.  I have a hard time believing that Luther only beat the Beavers 1-0, though from the box score it could have been much worse.

d3soccerfreak

Quote from: gustiefan04 on October 05, 2017, 10:02:55 AM
I've watched one Simpson game, a tie with Augustana, and was not impressed. Certainly improved I think Wartburg and Luther will prove to be the best in the IIAC when its all said and done. I've been able to catch them both a couple times, streaming, and they've looked pretty strong.

I agree, Luther and Wartburg are good teams as well.