BB: MIAC: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

BigPoppa

Quote from: M_I_A_C_Bsbl on January 09, 2012, 12:26:21 PM
Front runners for pitcher and player of the year?

I like UST catcher JD Dorgan to have a big year. Only now a sophomore, he was great last year hitting .390 and I'd expect that trend to improve this season.

M_I_A_C_Bsbl

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 09, 2012, 01:46:04 PM

I like UST catcher JD Dorgan to have a big year. Only now a sophomore, he was great last year hitting .390 and I'd expect that trend to improve this season.

That is a good pick. I'd say him, Glasser or Salzman from MAC or Slick from Bethel

mr_b

Quote from: M_I_A_C_Bsbl on January 09, 2012, 02:32:13 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 09, 2012, 01:46:04 PM

That is a good pick. I'd say him, Glasser or Salzman from MAC or Slick from Bethel
We played Bethel in Ft. Myers. Slick is a quality player.

BigPoppa

I can see Salzman making the jump to elite player but not without an big jump in slugging percentage. Hitting .400 with a slugging percentage just over .500 last year means he is not a power guy which tend to be favored as player-of-the-year candidates. Also, he was not an RBI guy (22 total) for MAC so that needs to jump as well before he would be considered.

Secondly, Salzman is a DH (or at least appeared most often as a DH last year). I think the MIAC coaches would prefer to give nod to a guy that sees the field defensively. What is Salzman's defensive position?

Glasser is a 2B, Dorgan and Slick are catchers... not sure on Salzman (and I may be wrong and he may be set to play the field in 2012).

M_I_A_C_Bsbl

Salzman caught more than half of MACs games last year and saw limited time at 1B , but missed part of the playoffs due to injury. Judging by the stats listed on MACs site, looks like hes only made 7 errors in 3 years

welsh27

What about pitching? We saw the new bat rule impact the style of play last year, and with Edwards, Hughes, and Kramer graduated who steps in to fill the void?

SUMMIT!!!!!

unrelated and not really a MIAC news item, but this morning's Strib reports that UW-Stout hired Toby Gardenhire as its new baseball coach.

top 4-- the usual 2 (UST & Olaf) along with Mac and Hamline. GAC, BU, SJU and Concordia all sleepers.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

tommiegun

I think my 4 playoff squads go: 1. U$T 2. SJU 3. Hamline 4. Olaf. 

D3guy99

Does Hamline have enough to stay up with the big boys?  Their run seemed lucky last year, what do you guys think?  Who did St. Thomas bring in from their recruiting class?  Can Mac still compete with the loss of their two best pitchers?

tommiegun

^ In short form:

Yes: Hamline always struggles with depth but tend to have top end starters.
Not sure: I'm sure it will be the conference's most talented class, per usual.
No: Flash in the pan; though, they will be tough at their home: ball off the wall central.

D3guy99

You really think Hamline has top end players? Who?

Isn't St. Thomas starting to lose some of the better recruits it was getting to other schools?  I'm curious to see how Bethel will be with their new coach.  Does anybody have an opinion on them?

BigPoppa

Bethel should be better than they are/have been. They are in a great recruiting location (very close to some of the state's top high school programs). Minnesota recruits from the north and northeast generally have to drive past Bethel in order to get to any other MIAC school (excluding St. John's), so they are in a great spot. New coach, Brian Rabbe, will be a great addition to the program and his years as a high school coach helped build recruiting ties along the I-35/HWY 10 Corridor and that will help get players form top-end programs (Coon Rapids, Maple Grove, Forest Lake, Centennial, Blaine, etc...).

I think they will be improved, but it make take a few seasons before they make an impact at the top of the MIAC.

username

I don't know if I'd say that Hamline's run last year was lucky, they've been knocking on the door for a few years.  I think Raabe's biggest thing is going to be recruiting, he hasn't done it yet and he'll have to learn pretty quickly.  Other than that, I bet he'll be a great coach for Bethel.

I'm looking forward to catching some of the games in the dome, I think it's a wide open league this year. 

MIACLUV

Another year of MIAC ball about to begin and for the 2nd year in a row, there is no clear favorite. None of the upper crust are heavily filled with upper classman that would make them the team to beat. However I see three of the final four from last years playoffs back there again.

UST: Not the best offensive team in the league, but the way the young pitching staff was used last season sets them up to be the deepest staff in the league. The loss of Edwards is big in a must win situation and will hurt at Regional time but this staff will keep them in the top 2 spots in the regular season.

Hamline: Never discount what winning does for a teams psyche. The returners on this squad went through the grinder last year and prevailed as well as an impressive win over St. Schlastica in the regional. The core of that team is back as well as a large incoming group of recruits including some JUCO's, which from looking at their stats from last year should be complimentry players that will fill some holes left to graduation. Look for Hamline to be #3 come playoff time.

MAC: Mac should not have been a surprise to anyone with the team they brought back last season, but with the loss of Robinson & Ingram they will certainly need to fight for the fourth spot this season. Glasser will need to be the guy and take on the rest of the leagues #1 starters. The offense will certainly be the strong point of this team that still continued to score runs even when Salzman went down last season. This team will put pressure on teams and have a huge impact on the playoffs since they always seem to play the top teams very well and drop a few games they shouldn't to the bottom of the league.

Olaf: From out of the playoffs to a possible title? I'll be the first to admit that I crowned them early last year. And the way they played out of the gates last season there was reason. But a MONUMENTAL collepse in their defensive play was the downfall. Coach McDonald took a chance playing a lot of younger guys and I think that core will be even better this year. Throw into the mix a really solid recruiting class and I will say that they are in position to take the league title and hold onto it for a couple years!

Player of the Year: JD Dorgan
Pitcher of the Year: Mitch Glasser

Regular Season Champs: St. Olaf
Tournament Champs: UST

Regional Participants: UST & St. Olaf