MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busted Stuff

Quote from: oldknight on February 14, 2013, 12:14:09 PM
Yesterday I suggested reading KnightSlappy's blog containing what he labels "definate proof" that the NCAA calculation method is flawed and being implemented wrongly. This can hurt many teams but to use Calvin as an example he points out that had the Knights played Manchester, Finlandia, and Wabash all at home (instead of road-road-neutral), the "new" calculation method would have increased their SOS by .008. If KS is correct (and knowing Matt's attention to detail, I'm confident he is) this is really a disgrace. As was rhetorically asked on the Pool C board, it's just not possible to defend the NCAA on this.

I believe Calvin is the best team in the MIAA this year. Obviously, they will need to prove that next week.

Speaking of attention to detail...  ;D ;) :D

sac

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 14, 2013, 08:08:03 AM
Are they sill implementing a play-in game for fourth place ties?

mea culpa, I didn't read through the full men's tie-breaker which states this......

In the case where the teams in position #4 and #5 have identical league records and split their regular
season head-to-head contest, a play-in game will be held two days before the tournament semi-finals. The host of the play-in game will be decided by the tie-breaking criteria listed above. In an unbreakable tie, hosting would be determined by a coin flip conducted by the Commissioner.

So in a 7-7 tie, Olivet gets the #3 seed, Trine and Adrian would have a play-in game hosted by Trine.

SBell

Top Westside recruit Josh Groenhof to Cornerstone.

Adrian Bulldawg Alum

Quote from: hoopdreams on February 13, 2013, 08:37:41 PM
Adrian getting lit up by K-zoo...the bulldogs will forever be second class citizens in the MIAA....unless they make a huge comeback of course, then they're gritty and tough!  Newsflash....try keeping a roster for the entire season and build some continuity within your program and stop bringing in kids who have already enrolled in 12 different schools, unless they make a huge comeback, then you're well coached and hardnosed! BLAH........

Come on baby, make me eat my words! (think I picked Adrian for 4, thankfully, they were heavily picked)...here we go....down to 15 points......

Did I say Adrian?  I meant ALMA.....this is what happens when I verbalize my emotions....stupid therapist

I dislike this comment for it's "forever be second class citizens" remark, but it's hard to disprove.  Sadly, Adrian hasn't been able to advance beyond an MIAA season.  And even though I focus on Adrian, I think all teams not named Hope and Calvin are mostly 2nd class citizens (Is this an overstatement?)

The 2nd part of your statement is something I somewhat agree with.  Adrian shouldn't carry players like Brandon Romane.  Perhaps Mark White thinks he can help a kid who seems like he has talent but is lost mentally.  But overall, this Adrian team's continuity has been fine.  Lewis, Barnes, and Gallant are all returners and they get the most playing time.  I would also be fine with 2 year players/transfers because of my memories of Brandon Crawford.

I also noticed Adam Meier not playing last night (which I believe is Adrian's most important big guy because of his strength).  Does anyone know why?

Finally, good job to Eric Lewis for continuing some really solid play and Sean Gallant for his 3rd straight double-double.  With his size, I thought he had underachieved, but he now seems to playing very well.  Now, Adrian needs to get their heads out their ass and beat Albion at home and hope to Olivet loses.

almcguirejr

Quote from: Adrian Bulldawg Alum on February 14, 2013, 08:10:11 PM
Quote from: hoopdreams on February 13, 2013, 08:37:41 PM
Adrian getting lit up by K-zoo...the bulldogs will forever be second class citizens in the MIAA....unless they make a huge comeback of course, then they're gritty and tough!  Newsflash....try keeping a roster for the entire season and build some continuity within your program and stop bringing in kids who have already enrolled in 12 different schools, unless they make a huge comeback, then you're well coached and hardnosed! BLAH........

Come on baby, make me eat my words! (think I picked Adrian for 4, thankfully, they were heavily picked)...here we go....down to 15 points......

Did I say Adrian?  I meant ALMA.....this is what happens when I verbalize my emotions....stupid therapist

The 2nd part of your statement is something I somewhat agree with.  Adrian shouldn't carry players like Brandon Romane.  Perhaps Mark White thinks he can help a kid who seems like he has talent but is lost mentally.  But overall, this Adrian team's continuity has been fine.  Lewis, Barnes, and Gallant are all returners and they get the most playing time.  I would also be fine with 2 year players/transfers because of my memories of Brandon Crawford.

Also, what happened to Brad Whitby, Delano Collins, and Richaud Pack?  Crawford played at least 3 years at Albion.

sac

Quote from: almcguirejr on February 14, 2013, 08:54:35 PM

Also, what happened to Brad Whitby, Delano Collins, and Richaud Pack?  Crawford played at least 3 years at Albion.

I imagine for Whitby it was his knee being a problem since he hurt it again last spring.

Delano Collins took a job from a summer internship, was supposed to return to school to finish his degree this semester but wasn't going to play basketball.

Richaud Pack transferred to D1 Tennessee Tech and is sitting out this year.

The bigger question for this years Adrian team was what happened to Daryl Flemeister, Donovan Moore and Sheldon Clay?  Adrian basically spent the year playing without a PG, and almost no depth on the bench.    Lorenzo Dewberry and Donald Allen didn't play much but they also didn't make it past the 1st semester.

Adrian was a lot better with Flemeister at PG and 2 other capable defensive players coming off the bench.

Al is correct, Brandon Crawford played 3 years at Albion after 1 year at Oberlin.

hoopdreams

The continuity in Adrian's roster is far from fine, as previously noted.  The question is this....does Coach White give opportunities to young adults who may have run across some "bumps in the road of life" and allow a second chance?  Or does he seek kids that aren't playing that can help his program?  Based on the quick departures of many, the answer may be obvious.  Seems like benching a kid, regardless if he is an all-american canidate (purely hypothetical), to teach a life lesson, may be the more beneficial option- to the athlete and the program.
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

wiz

Live video stream of the Calvin/Hope women's game at DeVos Fieldhouse tomorrow.  Interesting!
http://hope.edu/live

realist

Trine has a come back run in the 2nd, but comes up short.  Hope 81-72.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

AndersDY

Quote from: wiz on February 15, 2013, 12:47:02 PM
Live video stream of the Calvin/Hope women's game at DeVos Fieldhouse tomorrow.  Interesting!
http://hope.edu/live

Who are the announcers they got for that stream? They don't know how to pronounce "Verkaik" and find it surprising that many Holland Christian recruits end up at Calvin. Clearly well researched.
"You can say 'no,' and I can say 'yes,' and my word has THREE letters."

realist

Calvin 86-60.  Congrats to Calvin for the MIAA title. 
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

calvinite

So, who plays Calvin on Thursday and who plays Hope on Thursday?
Knights!

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

calvinite

Never mind; it looks like we need to wait and see how Adrian does tonight....
Knights!

"I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university."
― Albert Einstein

wiz

Congratulations to Calvin on winning the league championship
On Wednesday and claiming it outright today.