MBB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by Scots Hoops Fan, March 14, 2005, 09:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3fanboy

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on March 18, 2023, 12:14:31 PM
Quote from: edward de vere on March 16, 2023, 10:21:37 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 16, 2023, 10:06:28 PM
This team!!!  Down 20 in the 1st half, shoot 1-18 from 3 and 35% overall and still will their way to a win!  Finish the job!

I thought it was pretty clear going in that Mount was the better team.  However, sometimes the biscuit just won't go in the freaking basket.  (As we saw on the very first possession.)  Then Parker makes a silly third foul and a questionable fourth foul.  Ugh.

But Mount Union wins because its foul shooting was as uncharacteristically good as its field goal shooting was bad.

It's a funny old world.

Exactly right...it was odd. I don't know what it was but some teams just struggle shooting in an atmosphere like that (depth perception in non-gyms, new hoops, different ball, etc) , but they made the adjustment on defense and stuck to their strength of getting to the basket on offense. I was frustrated with the shot selection of 3s until you remember that is the type of basketball that got them there. Play your game Purple Raiders and you'll be in a good spot!

Hopefully with an extra day of practice in the arena, the sightlines and dozens of 3 point lines on the court wont be such an issue.  Going to need some outside scoring today for the Raiders, Parker and Poole are going to have their hands full down low.

Dr. Acula

Excellent defensive effort in the 1st half.  Should be up quite a bit more than 3 points at half, but after Thursday I am not complaining!  Newsom, Gurley and Poole all with 2 fouls so need to be a little careful.  And definitely need to tighten up the 1-6 FT shooting so far.  CNU is tough so if you would have offered me a lead at half while playing their calling card great defense I would take it every time.  The crowd being heavily skewed to Mount hopefully helps them down the stretch.  Go finish it guys! 

D3fanboy

bad day to have the ugly FT shooting pop back up

D3fanboy

huge missed travel call and some one-sided calls in the last minute...d3refs at its finest

Dr. Acula

Quote from: D3fanboy on March 18, 2023, 05:51:38 PM

Somehow CNU was worse % wise.  If only we weren't -10 in FT attempts somehow.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: D3fanboy on March 18, 2023, 06:15:26 PM
huge missed travel call and some one-sided calls in the last minute...d3refs at its finest

There were definitely some interesting calls, but Mount didn't get loose balls, gave up too many 2nd chance points and missed free throws.

Great season Purple Raiders! You've got so much to be proud of!

D3fanboy

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on March 18, 2023, 06:36:57 PM

There were definitely some interesting calls, but Mount didn't get loose balls, gave up too many 2nd chance points and missed free throws.

two of my favorites were the non-travel call with 30 seconds left and CNU up 1, definitely not a game changing call, or the assault that Parker endured for his layup with 4 sec left.  I wont cover the extended arm on the last second layup by CNU that they called all night.  yikes....https://twitter.com/CamDancy/status/1637228429610295296

Dr. Acula

Quote from: D3fanboy on March 18, 2023, 06:59:07 PM

two of my favorites were the non-travel call with 30 seconds left and CNU up 1, definitely not a game changing call, or the assault that Parker endured for his layup with 4 sec left.  I wont cover the extended arm on the last second layup by CNU that they called all night.  yikes....https://twitter.com/CamDancy/status/1637228429610295296

Calm down Suit.  They let them play all day.  Oh wait they called 359 fouls prior to that.  Not evenly called but they were called.

D3fanboy

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 18, 2023, 08:56:15 PM
Quote from: D3fanboy on March 18, 2023, 06:59:07 PM

Calm down Suit.  They let them play all day.  Oh wait they called 359 fouls prior to that.  Not evenly called but they were called.

Mansfield literally fouled out on less of an offensive foul 80 seconds earlier.  #whyD3

congrats to CNU, they deserve it.  Mount shot themselves in the foot with the FT shooting early.  But a championship game should not be a ref show.  The D3 athletes keep getting better and better, but the refs are not keeping up

Dr. Acula

I jokingly said the refs were Jr High level girls refs not long ago and these clowns were somehow worse.  I'm not saying Mount shoulda won but I'm saying w zero regret or hesitation that these refs were completely overmatched.  Clearly.  No objective observer would think that game was called well.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 18, 2023, 09:16:29 PM
I jokingly said the refs were Jr High level girls refs not long ago and these clowns were somehow worse.  I'm not saying Mount shoulda won but I'm saying w zero regret or hesitation that these refs were completely overmatched.  Clearly.  No objective observer would think that game was called well.

Dave McHugh and I both think the game was called well.

Great run for Mount Union! It's been fun to watch these guys in person the past two weeks.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Haven't heard a single person not wearing purple who's said one word about refs. They were definitely better than the guys in UMU's semifinal. They regularly do D1 games and were, by far, the highest rated crew in d3 this year.

You got some tough calls, for sure, but not the ones in the last minute. Given the game plan to be as physical as possible from start to finish, you have to accept the whistles that come with it. I don't think there was a player on the floor who didn't get away with a foul or two.

I thought Mansfield's 5th should've been a no call, but a lot of people much closer to it said they feel different. That's absolutely the worst way to lose a game, but the only thing to blame is the clock. Feels like one that was destined to be won by whoever got the last shot.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Pat Coleman

To add to this, at the airport to head home and chatted with one of the coaches who had a player in the All-Star Game... that coach also thought the game was called well.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

nescac1

I had no rooting interest in the game and did not watch enough to have a view of the overall reffing but I did think that last play probably should have been called an offensive foul.  It's a REALLY hard thing to call in real time, in that situation, amidst a lot of chaos and you hate to wave off a game winning basket, so you can't kill the refs for the no-call, but it was just such a blatant push off, on the ball, from a huge strong guy barreling down the lane against a perfectly-positioned defender, and it certainly is what allowed him to get a clean shot off.  It was by any definition a foul, the only question is, "do you let it go in that situation?"  If the argument is, guys were doing that all game (which I can't opine on) and refs let it all go, then I think it's ultimately OK.  But I do think viewed in isolation it's at least fair for Mount Union fans to feel upset to lose on that play (especially after the prior play which I thought while less clear did look like an and-one). 

In the end both teams were awesome all year and just tough that one has to lose, both were championship caliber teams (and of course as an Eph fan I know how painful the last four seconds can be, albeit without controversy in that case).  If all-American teams were released a day later I'm guessing Barber is at least one team higher.  He's like the Embiid of D3, such a dominant presence, and they sure were a totally different team in the games he missed. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 18, 2023, 06:35:28 PM
Quote from: D3fanboy on March 18, 2023, 05:51:38 PM

Somehow CNU was worse % wise.  If only we weren't -10 in FT attempts somehow.

That happens when one team attacks the basket as much as they do. From Dave's and my perspective, some of those calls were on Mount Union guys pushing with their off hand -- maybe they get away with those on some nights but it wasn't the case yesterday. :shrug emoji: