Transfers/Seniors with Remaining Eligibility

Started by nescac1, January 19, 2022, 09:35:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PauldingLightUP

Quote from: nescac1 on March 11, 2023, 12:55:09 PM
Seems like it could be quite a different look for WIAC next year (other than Whitewater, who seems like it will be the overwhelming favorite to repeat as champions).  Of the 10-man all-league team, eight are either listed as seniors or looking to transfer up -- and the two remaining players are on Whitewater.  Whitewater also has two of the six non-seniors on the Honorable Mention list, one of only two returnees on the all-defensive team, and the newcomer of the year returning.

SpringSt7, I think that's the entire list of D3 to D1 moves last year ...

I don't think many, if any, consider the tournament champions having the ability to repeat. I think most preseason polls look for the regular season champions. But still, point taken, Whitewater will have heavy preseason regular season favorites.

I think Oshkosh should be firm two with 61/91 points from a Sweet 16 game coming back. Then 3-8 is really a toss up in any order. I think I've heard Voigt's are probably done, but if they come back EC should be up there. If they don't, who knows?

thebear

Quote from: nescac1 on March 11, 2023, 12:06:34 PM

Austin Grunder - Cortland

Not sure about him.  He was honored at Senior Day.  He did not play his first year at Cortland.  He is a 2017 HS grad, 23 yrs old - so this would have been his 6th year since HS graduation.  I don't think Cortland has any programs beyond a Master's so he would probably need to go someplace else.  Colgate, Cornell, and Bighamton are all close by low D-I programs if he does have a year left.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

nescac1

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Grunder is on the NABC All-Star list, along with fellow seniors with eligibility remaining: Brandon Mora, Miles Mallory, and Dan Gaines.  There may be more, I don't know off the top of my head, but my understanding is that participating in this event forfeits future NCAA eligibility, so these guys will presumably NOT be using their final year:

https://nabc.com/nabc_releases/2023/rosters-revealed-for-2023-nabc-reeses-division-iii-college-all-star-game/

NABC – Reese's Division III College All-Star Game – Team Hixon

Steven Breeman, Montclair St.

Daniel Gaines, Muhlenberg

Devin Green, SUNY Oswego St.

Austin Grunder, SUNY Cortland

EJ Day, Lasell

Miles Mallory, Randolph-Macon

Jackson Meshanic, Hobart

Brendan Mora, Pomona-Pitzer

Mitch Prendergast, Case Western Reserve

Kyle Poerschke, UT Dallas

Coach: David Hixon

NABC – Reese's Division III College All-Star Game – Team Vande Streek

Ethan Anderson , UW-La Crosse

Jeremy Beckler, Carleton

Milos Dugalic, Illinois Tech

Isaiah Geathers, Lehman

Isaiah Lewis, North Carolina Wesleyan

Terion Moss, Maine at Farmington

Ty Prince, Mary Hardin-Baylor

Kendall Robinson, Western Connecticut St.

Jordan Shewbridge, Lancaster Bible College

Evan Thomas, Hope

Coach: Kevin Vande Streek
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

Cole Frilling is considering a return as a PhD student or was considering from what I understand.

Michael Savarino is returning for NYU.

Greek Tragedy

Re: All Star game. So is that an actual NCAA rule? Playing in it means you're done? Someone can't change their mind and return for a graduate year?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

nescac1

With Savarino and Freedman both back NYU will be quite loaded and I assume the UAA favorite next year. 

It will be interesting to see what Jahn Hines and Christian Parker do, especially whomever wins the national title tonight.  With two years of eligibility left each, might either or both test the D1 waters?  They'd be much more appealing as a two-year transfer and I think both of them would garner a ton of D1 interest with their size and athletic ability along with proven ability to lead a D3 team to the mountaintop.  Of course Jahn might prefer to stick around and compete for two more national titles alongside his brother ... but something to watch for. 

Greek Tragedy

No one is winning the national title tonight.  ;D :P
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Saw that Ohio Wesleyan's Jack Clement is in the transfer portal.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: nescac1 on March 17, 2023, 01:11:25 PM
With Savarino and Freedman both back NYU will be quite loaded and I assume the UAA favorite next year. 

NYU loses a quality reserve in Nikola Lipovic (10 ppg, 4 rpg) but returns most everyone else, though honestly, I cannot chose a favorite between NYU, Emory and Washington University. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I went through the AA list yesterday, as I usually do, to put together a first draft of preseason AAs for next year. More than half of the players named are four year players with an option to return.

We know a few definitely are, like Josiah Johnson and Spencer Freedman. Others are in the portal and looking for a scholarship, but could possibly be back. Some, like Miles Mallory, played in the AS game and are done. Others, like Levi Borchert, have announced they're finished, but you never really know until school starts next fall.

Plus, you never know what transfers will come in to d3 next year. Fun times!
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

I do have confirmation that anyone participating in the All Star game forfeits any remaining eligibility.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

stlawus

Forfeiting eligibility everywhere or just for division 3?

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

Forfeiting all eligibility is how I understand it, which is why all the NABC All-Star Games have just seniors.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.