Chapman sweeps
0 (0%)
Linfield takes 3 of 4
0 (0%)
Chapman takes 3 of 4
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Ralph Turner

McMurry needs a closer.  Look at these games.

Southwestern -- Walk-off 2-run homer in the 10th
UT-D- lose in the 10th
Marietta -- lose in the 9th
TLU -- lose in the 10th
TLU -- lose in the 10th
UMHB -- give up 9 runs in the 7th and 8th
Texas Wesleyan -- lose in the 9th
Schreiner -- lose in the 9th.

That takes 18-14 and makes it 26-6!

Spence

Too bad you don't play in a conference that has all 7 inning games (which I hate)!

BigPoppa

Chapman sweeps George Fox this weekend in a three-game series. Chapman has solidified itself as the #1 seed in the West.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Browneagle64

Congratulations to the Panthers on their big sweep over G. Fox over the weekend and yes "solidifying" themselves as the #1 seed in the west. I sure do hope that they represent the west very well within the next coming weeks during the big tourney.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Ralph Turner

Okay, Guy, are you ready to give us your first impressions?

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 18, 2008, 07:41:19 PM
Okay, Guy, are you ready to give us your first impressions?

I was tempted to put out a bit of preliminary list, but actually I think I'm going to wait until the teams in the NWC get at least two series under their belts. Also, there's some ASC teams that might figure in the mix that have played 3 games or less (UTD, UMHB), and I'd like to see a bit more of Trinity as well.

This time next week I should have a start to a list...

Glad you are looking forward to them Ralph!

In the meantime, I've made quite a few observations on the West Region forums and mentioned some players off to a hot start in the West and South regions on the national topics forum.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

I'm HOPING to get my first batch of West Regional Rankings out before Friday's games, but in the meantime here are teams that won't be on the list (in no particular order):

UT Dallas 7-3 – They've really surprised me how they've got a lot of new faces swinging the bats well after having one of the best offensive teams I can remember with last year's squad. The question with this team is always, who pitches after Mark Cox wins game 1? He already had double of the innings of any other pitchers on the team. Valetine has been solid out of the pen.

McMurry 5-5 – I think this team is better than HSU right now, but I'm trying to be a BIT more subjective this year. I think Johnston and Curry are going to throw better and with Toombs emerging as a really solid addition to this rotation they're dangerous. We already know they can hit. Franco and David both already have 5 HRs.

Concordia 6-6 – I like this team this year, but I'm not convinced they have enough starting pitching to win the ASC west. Aubry is solid on the backend and Williams is helping solidify the middle of their lineup. The two wins against Trinity and the victory over Tyler might be a sign of things to come.

Pacific Lutheran 2-1-2 – Still too early to tell much about last year's West Regional runner-ups. They could definitely be under-valued at this point, but there's a lot of new guys I have to witness a bit first. Sales and Post are back and swinging it well, and Brett Brunner is one of the better pitchers in the West Region.

Trinity 4-3 – Evan Jones is crushing the ball and this team has the deepest pitching staff in the entire west region. If Bignall and Horn pitch like they're capable it's borderline ridiculous, but they're relying on so many freshman that it's tough to tell how they'll compete in big SCAC games – right now Rutgers Newark doesn't tell you much so all we know is that they're 1-3 against solid teams in the ASC.

Pomona Pitzer 4-3 – Another team that doesn't have a great body of work to evaluate yet. Hedman is going to hit, but Mandleblatt has to get on base in front of him, and he has to pitch better (like a #1) as well. I can't justify ranking a team that's hitting .257 collectively eventhough it's early.

Texas Lutheran 5-6 – I just mention them because they've been in the mix for so long, but this team is young and really not playing particularly well in any aspect of the game. Swept on their west coast trip and the lost to SU aren't very encouraging. Opponents are only hitting .207 against SP Logan Hull.

Austin College 4-6 – Let's face it, this team got hot at the right time last year. They were scrappy and wouldn't ever go away. That's a testament to their character and the progress Coach Iwasaki is making with the program. Andy White has played well for the Roos at SS this year.

JSG

BigPoppa

Quote from: Just_Some_Guy on February 28, 2008, 02:03:59 AM
I'm HOPING to get my first batch of West Regional Rankings out before Friday's games, but in the meantime here are teams that won't be on the list (in no particular order):

UT Dallas 7-3 – They've really surprised me how they've got a lot of new faces swinging the bats well after having one of the best offensive teams I can remember with last year's squad. The question with this team is always, who pitches after Mark Cox wins game 1? He already had double of the innings of any other pitchers on the team. Valetine has been solid out of the pen.

McMurry 5-5 – I think this team is better than HSU right now, but I'm trying to be a BIT more subjective this year. I think Johnston and Curry are going to throw better and with Toombs emerging as a really solid addition to this rotation they're dangerous. We already know they can hit. Franco and David both already have 5 HRs.

Concordia 6-6 – I like this team this year, but I'm not convinced they have enough starting pitching to win the ASC west. Aubry is solid on the backend and Williams is helping solidify the middle of their lineup. The two wins against Trinity and the victory over Tyler might be a sign of things to come.

Pacific Lutheran 2-1-2 – Still too early to tell much about last year's West Regional runner-ups. They could definitely be under-valued at this point, but there's a lot of new guys I have to witness a bit first. Sales and Post are back and swinging it well, and Brett Brunner is one of the better pitchers in the West Region.

Trinity 4-3 – Evan Jones is crushing the ball and this team has the deepest pitching staff in the entire west region. If Bignall and Horn pitch like they're capable it's borderline ridiculous, but they're relying on so many freshman that it's tough to tell how they'll compete in big SCAC games – right now Rutgers Newark doesn't tell you much so all we know is that they're 1-3 against solid teams in the ASC.

Pomona Pitzer 4-3 – Another team that doesn't have a great body of work to evaluate yet. Hedman is going to hit, but Mandleblatt has to get on base in front of him, and he has to pitch better (like a #1) as well. I can't justify ranking a team that's hitting .257 collectively eventhough it's early.

Texas Lutheran 5-6 – I just mention them because they've been in the mix for so long, but this team is young and really not playing particularly well in any aspect of the game. Swept on their west coast trip and the lost to SU aren't very encouraging. Opponents are only hitting .207 against SP Logan Hull.

Austin College 4-6 – Let's face it, this team got hot at the right time last year. They were scrappy and wouldn't ever go away. That's a testament to their character and the progress Coach Iwasaki is making with the program. Andy White has played well for the Roos at SS this year.

JSG

JSG- thanks for the work you do. I find it very hard to catch many games in the spring while I am coaching.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Browneagle64

I'm glad that you pointed out that the Sagehens shouldn't be on this week's W.R.R's.
So far the hens have played teams that typically do not do well during the season (see below):

Cal State San Bernardino 
Lewis & Clark College
Pacific University

As a matter of fact, after the Oxy Tigers beat them and sweep them this friday and saturday afternoon ( like they did last year in Pomona and at the Rock,) the Hen's shouldn't even be considered for a W.R.R. at all in the upcoming month.

Btw, they still haven't even faced the toughest part of their schedule. yet
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Just_Some_Guy

Well - I got pretty caught up with some work stuff and was unable to get the rankings out before Friday's games, but they're coming this week.

Also receiving votes (in no particular order):
UT Dallas 11-3
Pacific Lutheran 4-3-2
McMurry 7-6
Hardin Simmons 7-3
Pomona Pitzer 7-3
Trinity 6-3
----------
Texas Lutheran 7-7
Austin College 6-6

Hardin Simmons would've been #10 on my list last week, but they were leap-frogged by another ASC West team this week. That's the only change of note. The comments I left about these teams are still pretty relevant so you can scroll up and read those if you want.

---------------------------------------------------------

Just Some Guy's West Regional Rankings 2008 - v.1

10. Concordia 10-6 – At the beginning of the year I said this team would be better offensively, but I wasn't convinced that they would have enough pitching to get out of the tough west. Nothing's changed that would alter my opinion of this team yet. Whiteley has pitched pretty well, and Aubry has been stellar out of the pen.

Key Players:
OF Tom Williams - .417 AVG, 9 HR, 23 RBI, .950 SLG, .563 obp
SS Brian Jacobs - .406 AVG, 8 2Bs, .656 SLG, .519 OBP, (but 11 errors at SS..ouch)
OF Patrick Mercer - .344 AVG, .459 OBP, 11-11 SBs
RP Matt Aubry – 9 appearances, 1-0, 0.82 ERA, .214 AVG against

Key Games: Took 2 out of 3 from Trinity and Lost 2 out of 3 against UT Tyler, the Southwestern game might also prove to be a big win.

9. La Verne 6-4 – This team doesn't have quite as much high octane talent back as I had originally thought, but they have quite a few guys that contributed last year that are in key roles this year, and some of their top pitchers back. If Mandleblatt starts swinging it a little better for the Sagehens La Verne should start looking over their shoulders though.

I can't find any stats on them, but here are some of their key players:
SS Jack Mehl
3B/2B Trevor Boucher
DH Scott Marcus
SP Tim Jolly

Key Games: Lost 2 of 3 to Cal State East Bay, Swept 2 games from TLU, Swept 2 games from Cal Lutheran

8. Linfield 6-3 – Voted by the coaches to win the NWC this year, but I think GFU might be the better team at this point in the season. Linfield just split with a very talented Pac Lutheran team and didn't even have to face Brunner in the four game set. They're tough to beat anytime Clark is on the mound and Dorn has pitched well, but someone (maybe McCulley emerge as a 3rd starter if Larson can't get it done ... and does this team have any depth in the pen ?

Key Players:
Drew Van Cleave - .385 AVG, 7 RBIs (7 starts), .467 OBP
David Bachonafer - .375 AVG, 12 RBIs, .656 SLG, 
Jordan Boustead - .367 AVG, 7-7 SBs
Brian Clark – 3-0, 2.00 ERA, .254 against, 15Ks in 18 IP

Key Games: 2-2 Split with Pacific Lutheran

7. Mary Hardin Baylor 11-2 – It's hard to gauge just where UMHB stands at this point, and we may not have a very good indication until they play Hardin Simmons two weeks from now. Offensively they have the potential to be one of the best teams in the West region, but the Ozarks just held them to two-run games while handing UMHB their first two losses. I don't know if Tumlinson is hurt, but either way their depth on the mound after Garza is questionable. I could see them potentially winning the ASC West or coming in as low as 5th. Of course, that speaks to the depth of the conference.

Key Players:
Adam Froeschl - .500 AVG, 7 2Bs, .780 SLG, .550 OBP, 6-8 SBs
R. Garza – 2-1, 1.89 ERA, 19Ks in 19 IP, .214 AVG against
                  .394 AVG, .606 SLG
Joseph Villegas - .424 AVG, 5 2Bs, 3 3Bs, 4 HRs, 19 RBIs, .814 SLG, 4-4 SBs
Marcus Volz - .395 AVG, 13 RBIs, .527 OBP, 6-7 SBs

Key Games: Lost 2 out of 3 to Ozarks, Defeated Trinity 6-5, and Southwestern twice.

6. Cal State East Bay 8-4 – After a bit of a down year last year (21-19) for the Pioneers they looked poised to make a run at a Pool B bid in the West Region again this year. Led by seniors Mark Tuttle, Lamonte Toney and Matt Viera this senior-laden team (18 in all) have a schedule that will illustrate whether or not they belong by the time they're finished. At the end of March/beginning of April  they'll face George Fox, Linfield, and Chapman in consecutive weekends.

Key Players:
Mark Tuttle – .459 AVG, .730 SLG, .523 OBP
Lamonte Toney – .429 AVG, 5 2Bs, 4 HRs, 18 RBIs, .732 SLG
Matt Viera – 3-0, 2.92 ERA, .207 AVG against

Key Games: Won 2 out 3 on the road against La Verne

JSG

Browneagle64

Hey J.S.G,

Here's something for thought:
Instead of ranking Pomona in the west as a strong leader, how about we take them out and consider replacing them with La Verne. This ball club has done a better job against good and decent teams as opposed to Pomona schedule. (come on, by the end of the weekend they will be 10-3 because of a sweep against the beaves of C.I.T) (yaya, they are 7-3, but these wins have come via playing teams that always start off cold. And yes that includes my Tigers.) In my opinion, the leo's have a better chance in taking the SCIAC and showing that they mean business. Take a look at their schedule and tell me that they don't deserve a nod on your rankings. Just my opinion, by the way. 8) 

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Browneagle64 on March 04, 2008, 12:15:04 PM
Hey J.S.G,

Here's something for thought:
Instead of ranking Pomona in the west as a strong leader, how about we take them out and consider replacing them with La Verne. This ball club has done a better job against good and decent teams as opposed to Pomona schedule. (come on, by the end of the weekend they will be 10-3 because of a sweep against the beaves of C.I.T) (yaya, they are 7-3, but these wins have come via playing teams that always start off cold. And yes that includes my Tigers.) In my opinion, the leo's have a better chance in taking the SCIAC and showing that they mean business. Take a look at their schedule and tell me that they don't deserve a nod on your rankings. Just my opinion, by the way. 8) 

The Sagehens are listed in "other teams receiving votes" whereas La Verne is ranked #9 in this week's rankings. (The rankings have been done since early this morning, but I'm posting them one in a time after I add commentary at my convenience).

Even the previous week when I first started to put together the rankings Pomona was also receiving votes and La Verne would've been in the rankings. (Concordia jumping Hardin Simmons is the only change.)

That said, If Mandleblatt turns around his slow start it will be harder to argue them out of the rankings... (though La Verne may stay in as well) but for now I completely agree with your assessment in terms of placement and I think you'll find my rankings do reflect that.

Just for the record, while record does obviously play some role in the rankings, I value how they've performed against the "better" teams in the conference and that is a far more significant measuring stick for me when it comes to the rankings.

Take care.

JSG

Browneagle64

Nicely said. As for La Verne, so far they have swept a good Cal Lu team and need to do the same against the Pups of U.O.R this friday and saturday.  ;D

Just_Some_Guy

5. George Fox 6-3 – The class of the NWC for the last 10 years is out to avenge Pac Lu claiming the NWC title last year. With plenty of depth returning on the mound, the question remains can they replace the offensive firepower lost with the departure of Donohue, Wentzell, Drew Johnson and when does Bo Thunnell return ? Pat Bailey inc. seem to think they can, but have yet to be tested by a solid team with the exception of McMurry.

Key Players:
Pat Bailey - .500 AVG, 5 2Bs, .867 SLG, .568 OBP
Ryan Fobert – .444 AVG, 2 HR, 11 RBI
Brian Davis – 2-0, 1.23 ERA, 1 SV, .167 AVG against
Shane Dalgleish – 2-0, 2.70 ERA, 270 AVG against
Nick Bratney – 1-1, 3.26 ERA, 17Ks in 19.1 IP, 278 AVG against

Key Games: Won 2 out of 3 at McMurry

4. Ozarks 10-2 – This team made a splash last year after defeating Mary Hardin Baylor in the first round of the ASC tournament and then giving TLU all they could handle in the first game of the final four of the ASC tournament. A scrappy team that can really swing it has also developed a pitching staff they can rely on with at least 3 solid starters and some depth as well. I might get crucified for saying it, but I think this team could surpass UT Dallas this year and finish second in the ASC East.

Key Players:
Todd Koch - .435 AVG, .783 SLG, .649 OBP
                      2-1, 1.31 ERA, 24Ks in 20.2 IP, .149 AVG against
Cory Briggs - .500 AVG, 9 2Bs, 12 RBIs, .720 SLG, .550 OBP, 4-4 SBs
John Glenn - .410, 2 HRs, 18 RBIs, 5-5 SBs
Curt Dixon – 2-0, 2.12 ERA, 19Ks in 17 IP, .203 AVG against
Robby Finnell - .342 AVG, .519 OBP
                          2-0, 5.40 ERA, .200 AVG against

Key Games: defeated Rhodes, lost to Millsaps, took 2 of 3 from Mary-Hardin Baylor

3. Redlands 9-4 – Sure they lost one to Oxy and haven't got over the hump with Chapman yet, but after defeating Pac Lutheran in extra innings after dominating TLU, I believe this Redlands team is the class of the SCIAC (of course we'll find out a lot more this weekend when they take on La Verne). They're going to hit (.360 as a team), and Nicholson has been great on the mound, but they'll need their other starters to step up their game just a bit to remain near the top of the West Region Rankings. Their very home oriented schedule doesn't hurt them.

Key Players:
Nolan Nicholson – 4-0, 1.36 ERA, 5 BBs to 19Ks, .271 AVG against
Matt Goldstein – .542 AVG, 4 2Bs, 9 RBIs, .792 SLG, .633 OBP
Brian Schumaker – .479 AVG, 6 2Bs

Also look for Kyle Rizzo (.327 avg) and Billy LaVelle (.326) to start swiping some more bags despite the fact that they only have 6 between them right now.

Key Games: Lost 2 of 3 to Chapman, swept a DH from TLU, defeated Pac Lutheran

2. UT Tyler 11-1 – My intuition is telling me they are a better team than Chapman, but I don't want to make a premature assumption so a team that is hitting .360 and sporting a 2.22 ERA on the season will have to settle for 2nd in the West this week. When you add 4 solid JUCO additions (Hood, Harding, Munchrath, Zeigler – and Baker is a D1 TR) to an already stacked team and you have possibly the best 3-man rotation in division 3 baseball you're going to be tough to beat.

Key Players: Is it bad I feel compelled to name 6 hitters and 5 pitchers on this roster?
Jared Hood - .439 AVG, 4-5 SBs
Jeremy Harding – .435 AVG, .717 SLG
Kendall Fox - .420 AVG, 16 runs scored
Joseph Towns - .404 AVG .635 SLG
Andrew Damewood - .373 AVG, .467 OBP
Clay Baker - .357 AVG, 20 runs scored, 4 HR, 18 RBI, .661 SLG, 8-8 SBs
Colby Munchrath – 1-0, 0.84 ERA, 16Ks in 10.2 IP, .158 AVG against
Blake Booher – 4-0, 1.17 ERA, .190 AVG against
Ryan Campbell – 3-0, 2.92 ERA, .237 AVG against
Brett Holland – 4-0, 3.00 ERA, 36Ks in 27 IP, .196 AVG against
Beau Ziegler – 3.75 ERA, 3 SV, 17Ks in 12 IP, .167 AVG against

Key Games: Took 2 of 3 from Concordia on the road.

1. Chapman 10-2 – It's hard to vote against a team that has dominated the west region like the Panthers have the last 3 years. I think every year (since 2005 anyway – how about that pitching staff?) people question the depth of their starting rotation, but they always seem to get it done. They're winning right now with Kitchens recovering from a shoulder tweak, and after adding Mike Vass to the middle of a potent lineup Chapman still reigns supreme atop JSG's West Region rankings.

Key Players:
Mike Vass – .378 AVG, 4 HRs, .517 OBP, 9-10 SBs
Matt Pearson – .387 AVG
Kyle Redding – .340, 18 RBIs
Kurt Yacko – 4-0, 0.42 ERA, 4 SV, 33Ks in 21.1 IP, .141 AVG Against
Matt Luzar – 1-1, 2.60 ERA, .175 AVG against

Key Games: 2 of 3 from the Redlands, 2 of 3 from McMurry, swept 3 from Cal Lutheran

Just_Some_Guy

Moderator's note... Just Some Guy (JSG) has been providing his analysis of the West Region on the West Region message boards for the last 2 years.  On his own initiative, he has started this national topic from his perspective.  These are his opinions, but as we have seen on the other message boards, the content provided by posters such as Patrick Abegg and David Collinge on Hoops message boards and various posters on the Football messages boards can provide valuable insight as we enjoy the season.

Here are JSG's postings from 2006 and 2007 on the West Region board. Click here.  -- Ralph Turner

D3 Baseball fans,

A lot of time and effort go into these and I know many of you don't take
the opportunity to follow all of the regions so I thought I would share my West Regional rankings (complete with commentary, key players, and key games) with the national board.

(Note: Records do not include the most recent mid-week games.)

Also receiving votes (in no particular order):
UT Dallas 11-3 - They've really surprised me how they've got a lot of new faces swinging the bats well after having one of the best offensive teams I can remember with last year's squad. The question with this team is always, who pitches after Mark Cox wins game 1? He already had double of the innings of any other pitchers on the team. Valetine has been solid out of the pen.

Pacific Lutheran 4-3-2 - Still too early to tell much about last year's West Regional runner-ups. They could definitely be under-valued at this point, but there's a lot of new guys I have to witness a bit first. Sales and Post are back and swinging it well, and Brett Brunner is one of the better pitchers in the West Region.

McMurry 7-6 - I think this team is better than HSU right now, but I'm trying to be a BIT more subjective this year. I think Johnston and Curry are going to throw better and with Toombs emerging as a really solid addition to this rotation they're dangerous. We already know they can hit. Franco and David both already have 5 HRs.

Hardin Simmons 7-3 - I'll be the first to admit I thought they just lost too much offensively to be competitive this year, but with Pimpton stepping up and a huge boost from the two Tomball freshman this team is definitely in the mix. With Alcorn and Barton they have a great back-end of the pen in the starters can get them there.

Pomona Pitzer 7-3 - Another team that doesn't have a great body of work to evaluate yet. Hedman is going to hit, but Mandleblatt has to get on base in front of him, and he has to pitch better (like a #1) as well. I can't justify ranking a team that's hitting .257 collectively eventhough it's early.

Trinity 6-3 - Evan Jones is crushing the ball and this team has the deepest pitching staff in the entire west region (with Tyler possibly the exception). If Bignall and Horn pitch like they're capable it's borderline ridiculous, but they're relying on so many freshman that it's tough to tell how they'll compete in big SCAC games – right now Rutgers Newark doesn't tell you much so all we know is that they're 1-3 against solid teams in the ASC.

----------
Texas Lutheran 7-7 - I just mention them because they've been in the mix for so long, but this team is young and really not playing particularly well in any aspect of the game. Swept on their west coast trip and the lost to SU aren't very encouraging. Opponents are only hitting .207 against SP Logan Hull.

Austin College 6-6 - Let's face it, this team got hot at the right time last year. They were scrappy and wouldn't ever go away. That's a testament to their character and the progress Coach Iwasaki is making with the program. Andy White has played well for the Roos at SS this year.

---------------------------------------------------------

Just Some Guy's West Regional Rankings 2008 - v.1

10. Concordia 10-6 – At the beginning of the year I said this team would be better offensively, but I wasn't convinced that they would have enough pitching to get out of the tough west. Nothing's changed that would alter my opinion of this team yet. Whiteley has pitched pretty well, and Aubry has been stellar out of the pen.

Key Players:
OF Tom Williams - .417 AVG, 9 HR, 23 RBI, .950 SLG, .563 obp
SS Brian Jacobs - .406 AVG, 8 2Bs, .656 SLG, .519 OBP, (but 11 errors at SS..ouch)
OF Patrick Mercer - .344 AVG, .459 OBP, 11-11 SBs
RP Matt Aubry – 9 appearances, 1-0, 0.82 ERA, .214 AVG against

Key Games: Took 2 out of 3 from Trinity and Lost 2 out of 3 against UT Tyler, the Southwestern game might also prove to be a big win.

9. La Verne 6-4 – This team doesn't have quite as much high octane talent back as I had originally thought, but they have quite a few guys that contributed last year that are in key roles this year, and some of their top pitchers back. If Mandleblatt starts swinging it a little better for the Sagehens La Verne should start looking over their shoulders though.

I can't find any stats on them, but here are some of their key players:
SS Jack Mehl
3B/2B Trevor Boucher
DH Scott Marcus
SP Tim Jolly

Key Games: Lost 2 of 3 to Cal State East Bay, Swept 2 games from TLU, Swept 2 games from Cal Lutheran

8. Linfield 6-3 – Voted by the coaches to win the NWC this year, but I think GFU might be the better team at this point in the season. Linfield just split with a very talented Pac Lutheran team and didn't even have to face Brunner in the four game set. They're tough to beat anytime Clark is on the mound and Dorn has pitched well, but someone (maybe McCulley emerge as a 3rd starter if Larson can't get it done ... and does this team have any depth in the pen ?

Key Players:
Drew Van Cleave - .385 AVG, 7 RBIs (7 starts), .467 OBP
David Bachonafer - .375 AVG, 12 RBIs, .656 SLG, 
Jordan Boustead - .367 AVG, 7-7 SBs
Brian Clark – 3-0, 2.00 ERA, .254 against, 15Ks in 18 IP

Key Games: 2-2 Split with Pacific Lutheran

7. Mary Hardin Baylor 11-2 – It's hard to gauge just where UMHB stands at this point, and we may not have a very good indication until they play Hardin Simmons two weeks from now. Offensively they have the potential to be one of the best teams in the West region, but the Ozarks just held them to two-run games while handing UMHB their first two losses. I don't know if Tumlinson is hurt, but either way their depth on the mound after Garza is questionable. I could see them potentially winning the ASC West or coming in as low as 5th. Of course, that speaks to the depth of the conference.

Key Players:
Adam Froeschl - .500 AVG, 7 2Bs, .780 SLG, .550 OBP, 6-8 SBs
R. Garza – 2-1, 1.89 ERA, 19Ks in 19 IP, .214 AVG against
                  .394 AVG, .606 SLG
Joseph Villegas - .424 AVG, 5 2Bs, 3 3Bs, 4 HRs, 19 RBIs, .814 SLG, 4-4 SBs
Marcus Volz - .395 AVG, 13 RBIs, .527 OBP, 6-7 SBs

Key Games: Lost 2 out of 3 to Ozarks, Defeated Trinity 6-5, and Southwestern twice.

6. Cal State East Bay 8-4 – After a bit of a down year last year (21-19) for the Pioneers they looked poised to make a run at a Pool B bid in the West Region again this year. Led by seniors Mark Tuttle, Lamonte Toney and Matt Viera this senior-laden team (18 in all) have a schedule that will illustrate whether or not they belong by the time they're finished. At the end of March/beginning of April  they'll face George Fox, Linfield, and Chapman in consecutive weekends.

Key Players:
Mark Tuttle – .459 AVG, .730 SLG, .523 OBP
Lamonte Toney – .429 AVG, 5 2Bs, 4 HRs, 18 RBIs, .732 SLG
Matt Viera – 3-0, 2.92 ERA, .207 AVG against

Key Games: Won 2 out 3 on the road against La Verne

5. George Fox 6-3 – The class of the NWC for the last 10 years is out to avenge Pac Lu claiming the NWC title last year. With plenty of depth returning on the mound, the question remains can they replace the offensive firepower lost with the departure of Donohue, Wentzell, Drew Johnson and when does Bo Thunnell return ? Pat Bailey inc. seem to think they can, but have yet to be tested by a solid team with the exception of McMurry.

Key Players:
Pat Bailey - .500 AVG, 5 2Bs, .867 SLG, .568 OBP
Ryan Fobert – .444 AVG, 2 HR, 11 RBI
Brian Davis – 2-0, 1.23 ERA, 1 SV, .167 AVG against
Shane Dalgleish – 2-0, 2.70 ERA, 270 AVG against
Nick Bratney – 1-1, 3.26 ERA, 17Ks in 19.1 IP, 278 AVG against

Key Games: Won 2 out of 3 at McMurry

4. Ozarks 10-2 – This team made a splash last year after defeating Mary Hardin Baylor in the first round of the ASC tournament and then giving TLU all they could handle in the first game of the final four of the ASC tournament. A scrappy team that can really swing it has also developed a pitching staff they can rely on with at least 3 solid starters and some depth as well. I might get crucified for saying it, but I think this team could surpass UT Dallas this year and finish second in the ASC East.

Key Players:
Todd Koch - .435 AVG, .783 SLG, .649 OBP
                      2-1, 1.31 ERA, 24Ks in 20.2 IP, .149 AVG against
Cory Briggs - .500 AVG, 9 2Bs, 12 RBIs, .720 SLG, .550 OBP, 4-4 SBs
John Glenn - .410, 2 HRs, 18 RBIs, 5-5 SBs
Curt Dixon – 2-0, 2.12 ERA, 19Ks in 17 IP, .203 AVG against
Robby Finnell - .342 AVG, .519 OBP
                          2-0, 5.40 ERA, .200 AVG against

Key Games: defeated Rhodes, lost to Millsaps, took 2 of 3 from Mary-Hardin Baylor

3. Redlands 9-4 – Sure they lost one to Oxy and haven't got over the hump with Chapman yet, but after defeating Pac Lutheran in extra innings after dominating TLU, I believe this Redlands team is the class of the SCIAC (of course we'll find out a lot more this weekend when they take on La Verne). They're going to hit (.360 as a team), and Nicholson has been great on the mound, but they'll need their other starters to step up their game just a bit to remain near the top of the West Region Rankings. Their very home oriented schedule doesn't hurt them.

Key Players:
Nolan Nicholson – 4-0, 1.36 ERA, 5 BBs to 19Ks, .271 AVG against
Matt Goldstein – .542 AVG, 4 2Bs, 9 RBIs, .792 SLG, .633 OBP
Brian Schumaker – .479 AVG, 6 2Bs

Also look for Kyle Rizzo (.327 avg) and Billy LaVelle (.326) to start swiping some more bags despite the fact that they only have 6 between them right now.

Key Games: Lost 2 of 3 to Chapman, swept a DH from TLU, defeated Pac Lutheran

2. UT Tyler 11-1 – My intuition is telling me they are a better team than Chapman, but I don't want to make a premature assumption so a team that is hitting .360 and sporting a 2.22 ERA on the season will have to settle for 2nd in the West this week. When you add 4 solid JUCO additions (Hood, Harding, Munchrath, Zeigler – and Baker is a D1 TR) to an already stacked team and you have possibly the best 3-man rotation in division 3 baseball you're going to be tough to beat.

Key Players: Is it bad I feel compelled to name 6 hitters and 5 pitchers on this roster?
Jared Hood - .439 AVG, 4-5 SBs
Jeremy Harding – .435 AVG, .717 SLG
Kendall Fox - .420 AVG, 16 runs scored
Joseph Towns - .404 AVG .635 SLG
Andrew Damewood - .373 AVG, .467 OBP
Clay Baker - .357 AVG, 20 runs scored, 4 HR, 18 RBI, .661 SLG, 8-8 SBs
Colby Munchrath – 1-0, 0.84 ERA, 16Ks in 10.2 IP, .158 AVG against
Blake Booher – 4-0, 1.17 ERA, .190 AVG against
Ryan Campbell – 3-0, 2.92 ERA, .237 AVG against
Brett Holland – 4-0, 3.00 ERA, 36Ks in 27 IP, .196 AVG against
Beau Ziegler – 3.75 ERA, 3 SV, 17Ks in 12 IP, .167 AVG against

Key Games: Took 2 of 3 from Concordia on the road.

1. Chapman 10-2 – It's hard to vote against a team that has dominated the west region like the Panthers have the last 3 years. I think every year (since 2005 anyway – how about that pitching staff?) people question the depth of their starting rotation, but they always seem to get it done. They're winning right now with Kitchens recovering from a shoulder tweak, and after adding Mike Vass to the middle of a potent lineup Chapman still reigns supreme atop JSG's West Region rankings.

Key Players:
Mike Vass – .378 AVG, 4 HRs, .517 OBP, 9-10 SBs
Matt Pearson – .387 AVG
Kyle Redding – .340, 18 RBIs
Kurt Yacko – 4-0, 0.42 ERA, 4 SV, 33Ks in 21.1 IP, .141 AVG Against
Matt Luzar – 1-1, 2.60 ERA, .175 AVG against

Key Games: 2 of 3 from the Redlands, 2 of 3 from McMurry, swept 3 from Cal Lutheran