NESCAC 2011

Started by pcc, August 24, 2011, 09:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocean 1

On the William's team, my observation is they do a lot of platooning in both halves, so players do get experience and have impact.

Curious about the view of them as the evil empire...what is the genesis of that?

amh63

Amherst beat Springfield at home tonight 1-0....in a 7PM start game.  Amherst was very aggressive in the first half.  Didn't watch the video in the second half due to chores.  Springfield was the 2nd ranked NE team....behind Williams  in the last 9/13/11 poll.

amh63

Amherst beat Hamilton 2-1 in 2OT today at Hamilton.

Jump4Joy

And Williams ties Bowdoin, 1-1. Anyone see that game and have the low-down (beyond the stat that Williams outshot Bowdoin, 22-9)?

Ocean 1

On the Williams game, I heard from someone who attended that it was a tough, physical contest and that Williams was basically slow afoot and out of sync to start the first half.

They apparently picked it up and had many opportunities in the second half (Bowdoin also had a few) but couldn't convert.

Jump4Joy

Amherst 2, Trinity 0. Heard that teams traded possession with Trinity on the advantage in the first half and Amherst taking over convincingly in the second.

Jump4Joy

Amherst matches their best start on record: 7-0-0!

Ocean 1

Quote from: Jump4Joy on October 01, 2011, 10:41:31 PM
Amherst matches their best start on record: 7-0-0!

Will be interesting to see if they can extend that against Williams on Saturday who have played 6/7 games away and will now be at home for that match. 

Jump4Joy

Ocean, do you know whether Williams will be on their own field next week, or will they be at MCLA again? What happened to the field?

Ocean 1

Quote from: Jump4Joy on October 02, 2011, 06:07:43 PM
Ocean, do you know whether Williams will be on their own field next week, or will they be at MCLA again? What happened to the field?

I'm speculating as it's still not clear yet. They have 3 options...i) Cole Field (Men's), a natural grass surface; ii) MCLA, a nice synthetic turf; and iii) William's lacrosse field, a lesser form of synthetic turf where they played last week.

Both women's and men's fields were significantly flooded during Irene...men's field was fixable for this season, women's field was not.

Ocean 1

Williams vs. Hamilton game on Tuesday, 10/5 will be at Renzie Lamb (lacrosse) Field as per website...Amherst game site for Saturday still to be decided.

Jump4Joy

Amherst takes Williams, 3-0. After Amherst went up, 2-0, it was mostly Williams with possession for the remainder of the half. Most of that possession was in the middle third, though, and when they did make it into the red zone, Amherst's backs did a good job keeping the Ephs from getting good looks at the frame. The Jeffs' keeper was forced to make one quality save on a shot heading just inside the right post on the ground, and she came through big time.

The second half evened out again like the first part of the game. With about 15 mins to go, Williams seemed to have scored to bring them within one with plenty of time left, but the AR had lifted his flag before the shot, and Amherst was happy to have the restart at the 12 instead of at the midstripe. With about 10 to go, Williams was awarded a PK for Amherst's handling in the box, but the shooter hit the right post (goalie's left), and the ball rebounded wide of the box. Very soon thereafter, Amherst hit the crossbar.

Stats make it look like Williams had more of an attacking thrust, and at times they did. But most of their shots came from well outside and were losing steam before reaching the frame, allowing Amherst's keeper to make several basket catches.

Interestingly, Amherst didn't play their best game of the season but still came away with a shutout victory, scoring more goals against this very good Williams team than all other opponents have, combined, this season. The Jeffs stand alone at the top of the table for now.

Jump4Joy

Note: Boxscore says Ephs outshot Jeffs 26-14, but the more telling stat is the SOG: 12-10.

Ocean 1

I thought Jump's write-up was a fair assessment for the most part. I would add however that Amherst had no consistent offense while the Ephs were able to move the ball at will but couldn't capitalize on their 12 SOG opportunities. Amherst scoring came at the expense of 3 Eph mistakes which of course is part of the game.

I would bet these two teams will meet again in the playoffs and no doubt that will be one good game. Will be interesting to see how Williams responds tomorrow with tired legs vs. Trinity who is fresh.

amh63

Posters should take a look at the highlights of the Amherst-Williams game on the Amherst website.  Amherst's coach admits that it was not one of her teams strongest games, but was pleased with the win at Williams.  Indeed, it will be interesting to see another match when both teams bring their A-game.  Other than that it still is a 3 goal shut out in an away game for Amherst.