D3boards.com history

Started by hopefan, March 14, 2020, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

With so little to read about in the sports world except the impact of the Corona Virus, I started reviewing (with many chuckles) some of the very early posts in rooms that I frequented...

it leads to the question... Pat or Ryan or one of the old heads can refresh my mind.... the very first posters were registered in late 1998, 1999, and many added in subsequent years, but the earliest posts shown are from Feb, 2005... different dates in Feb 2005 too for active rooms  MIAA (Feb. 19,2005),  CCIW (Feb 28, 2005), ODAC (Feb 15, 2005), seemingly cut off/restarted on different dates as they were obviously ongoing conversations.  What happened then to restart posts?  I'm thinking a new system?    What happened to the prior posts?  Gone forever?   I can remember a couple of specific conversations that I was involved in that are gone, likely prior to the Feb. 2005 time frame.  Were posts prior to Feb, 2005 still included in the individuals (active today) posting count total?  I can't remember how active I was then, which would have included following Wash U as a huge fan (by then I had lived in St. Louis 10-15 years and had lost most contact with Hope), and then gravitated over to the SLIAC room...

Curious... and maybe we can use this room to entertain readers with posting stories of the "old days".....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Pat Coleman

Complicated story. Indeed, Posting Up, the oldest precursor to D3boards.com, was started just prior to the 1998-99 season, my second season running D3hoops.com. The original board was on a piece of software called Discus, which was actually created at Hope College.

This board, 22 years ago, did not have the capacity to create multiple pages with posts, and if a page got to more than 30-40 posts, it would take forever to load, especially for dial-up users, which was how the majority of us connected. So, for a year or two, I had to manually trim posts from pages because of the limitation of the software, but eventually it became something that was built into the software that I could set the board to automatically trim a board from 40 posts back to 25.

In the summer of 1999, we started Post Patterns, which was the message board for D3football.com. It ran off another Discus install on the D3football.com server. These boards did not and could not talk to each other, and users had to register in both places.

This, by the way, was silly. But then again, a board with both of those sports on it at that time probably would have overwhelmed the servers we ran on back in the day.

By 2005, a lot of these things were changing. More people were on broadband. It was cheaper to host a website and the servers we ran on were also faster. Registering a new domain name was cheaper. And, also, Discus seemed to be maxing out its potential and wasn't getting new features. So I registered D3boards.com, set up a new server instance and found a piece of software which would take the data we had and start fresh. But when merging two instances of Discus into one, I had to choose which board was the primary one, in terms of which list of members I could bring in, and that was the hoops board, because it was older.

So, I was able to bring over the 40-some hoops posts that were on each board at that time in 2005 and those were the new posts on D3boards.com. Since each board's 40 old posts dated back differently than the rest, that's why the start date (date of the oldest post) is different for basketball boards, while all of the football conference boards start on Aug. 16, 2005.

Hoops posts from prior to 2005 actually do count in a user's posting total, which I love.

You can find some old posts on the Wayback Machine/Internet Archive at archive.org. Here's a sample URL:

https://web.archive.org/web/19990210182339/http://www.d3hoops.com/discus/

Archive.org doesn't include anywhere near all of the posts, however.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

Great response Pat... fascinating stuff for a long timer like me... Can't remember how I first heard about the site, wish I hadn't missed the first several years.

Going to check out that archive site....

hopefan

The archive site is there and shows considerable activity from some of the conferences that had followers in 1999... unfortunately for some reason, the most active conferences, the CCIW, the MIAA, the ODAC attempt to come up, flash at you, then produce a blank page.... perhaps in the capturing of posts, there were too many in those rooms and they simply failed to be captured...

Had to chuckle that virtually the first post I read, in the CAC room, was :
By Phantom (spider-wk063.proxy.aol.com - 205.188.198.178) on Sunday, November 28, 1999 - 10:56 pm:
Pat Coleman is a pompous •••. what a jerkoff

Dang, abuse even back then!!!!!!!!!!  Well, I notice Phantom is no longer on the membership list.... ;D ;D ;D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I joined January of 2000, so I'm over 20 years now.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 16, 2020, 01:22:28 PM

I joined January of 2000, so I'm over 20 years now.

I remember for a short while as I was hopefan and you were hoopsfan, I would refer to you as "cousin hoops"... ;D ;D ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I remember my comment about the alma mater being screwed out of an NCAA tournament berth was the "quote" (paraphrased to work best) at the top of the old board for a long time. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Here is a list of ACTIVE D3Boards Historians...... Registered prior to April 1, 2005 (15 years), have over 5,000 posts                           

Pat Coleman         Administrator   10/15/1998   38910            
sac         Hall of Fame   2/5/1999   14488            
Ralph Turner         Hall of Fame   10/27/2001   28748            
Gregory Sager         Hall of Fame   12/20/2001   23640            
hopefan         All-American   2/19/2002   8846            
D O.C.         All-American   11/12/2002   11430            
Ron Boerger         All-American   11/22/2002   7372            
SaintsFAN         All-American   12/9/2002   6123            
formerd3db         All-American   12/12/2002   6301            
wally_wabash         All-American   12/30/2002   10815            
John Gleich         All-American   1/6/2003   5039            
Greek Tragedy         All-American   1/11/2003   12992            
smedindy         All-American   2/3/2003   10277            
Titan Q         Hall of Fame   2/23/2003   12595            
Dave 'd-mac' McHugh         All-American   2/24/2003   11018            
Mr. Ypsi         All-American   3/2/2003   22503            
fisheralum91         All-American   3/4/2003   6124            
Jonny Utah         All-American   7/10/2003   8465            
badgerwarhawk         All-American   7/22/2003   7618            
Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)         All-American   11/18/2003   12710            
hasanova         All-American   1/8/2005   7357            

The following 5 posters would have made the list, but have not posted this past school year...
What has happened to:   Maybe a current poster can tell us

Knightstalker         All-American   3/20/2001   8101      did not post this past season, D3 hoops, NJAC      
David Collinge         Hall of Fame   10/20/1999   6934      has not posted since 2016  D3 hoops, NCAC      
JT         All-American   3/21/2005   5597      not posted since 2012, D3 football, NJAC      
'gro         All-American   11/26/2002   6237      not posted since 2012... D3 football, Liberty League      
pg04         All-American   2/6/2004   7488      not posted since Sept 2018.... D3 football, East      

Pat Coleman

I still see Knightstalker, David Collinge and PG04 on facebook. Gro, I believe, is with us under a different name. JT was banned for excessive political posting and ax-grinding but served his time and came back as JT2, where he has posted occasionally.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I was Rhino during my student years,  but was what we'd now term a troll for most of that,  so i created the new hoopsfan profile upon graduation and behaved better.

hopefan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 17, 2020, 12:13:51 PM
I still see Knightstalker, David Collinge and PG04 on facebook. Gro, I believe, is with us under a different name. JT was banned for excessive political posting and ax-grinding but served his time and came back as JT2, where he has posted occasionally.

Happy they are each still with us... I read Knightstalker frequently in the NJAC room back in the days when that conference was a regular in the national rankings.  Met Dave Collinge somewhere, probably an NCAA tourney game involving Hope and an Ohio school..  'gro was a LL football poster, probably the most entertaining room ever on D3boards (I never attempted to get involved, I would not have come close to keeping up with those guys), but read it often as an RPI alum....

I'm having a senior moment... what was the young lady's ID who was such a great supporter of Wheaton?  I remember seeing Wash U - Wheaton play and she brought me chocolate chip cookies due to some remark in the CCIW room.... as good as the CCIW room is now, her inclusions in discussions with Sager, TQ etal were truly the best.... Whatever happened to her?????

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on March 17, 2020, 12:49:18 PM

Happy they are each still with us... I read Knightstalker frequently in the NJAC room back in the days when that conference was a regular in the national rankings.  Met Dave Collinge somewhere, probably an NCAA tourney game involving Hope and an Ohio school..  'gro was a LL football poster, probably the most entertaining room ever on D3boards (I never attempted to get involved, I would not have come close to keeping up with those guys), but read it often as an RPI alum....

I'm having a senior moment... what was the young lady's ID who was such a great supporter of Wheaton?  I remember seeing Wash U - Wheaton play and she brought me chocolate chip cookies due to some remark in the CCIW room.... as good as the CCIW room is now, her inclusions in discussions with Sager, TQ etal were truly the best.... Whatever happened to her?????

She's alive and kicking... just not here.

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 17, 2020, 03:54:09 PM

Yes, but who did she post as??  I remember she use a D3hoops name for a time, and her real name for a time... just can't remember what they were.....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hopefan on March 18, 2020, 01:01:00 PM

Yes, but who did she post as??  I remember she use a D3hoops name for a time, and her real name for a time... just can't remember what they were.....

diehardfan

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 18, 2020, 01:21:02 PM
Quote from: hopefan on March 18, 2020, 01:01:00 PM

diehardfan

aaaaahhhh... that's it!!!!!   Do you remember why we lost her????