FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faunch and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

hazzben

Quote from: AO on April 15, 2019, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 15, 2019, 10:03:12 AM
I've often wonder what "Acceptance Rate" actually measures.  Does it measure the number of applications that receive an offer letter?  The number of offer letters when a student says 'Yes'?  Or a combination of the two.
Number of applicants that are accepted.  The percentage of students who choose to enroll after being offered is the yield rate.  So you can make your acceptance rate look good by making it easy for students who might be denied to apply, but your yield rate might reveal that relatively few students had you as their top choice.  Bethel has a higher acceptance rate than Augsburg but their yield rate is about 10 points higher.

Thanks AO. That was the very question I had as well.

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: hazzben on April 15, 2019, 10:48:56 AM
I've often wonder what "Acceptance Rate" actually measures.  Does it measure the number of applications that receive an offer letter?  The number of offer letters when a student says 'Yes'?  Or a combination of the two.
Number of applicants that are accepted.  The percentage of students who choose to enroll after being offered is the yield rate.  So you can make your acceptance rate look good by making it easy for students who might be denied to apply, but your yield rate might reveal that relatively few students had you as their top choice.  Bethel has a higher acceptance rate than Augsburg but their yield rate is about 10 points higher.

Indeed.  I assume they publish yield rates somewhere, or is this just something that you happened to have learned?

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on April 15, 2019, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: hazzben on April 15, 2019, 10:48:56 AM

Indeed.  I assume they publish yield rates somewhere, or is this just something that you happened to have learned?
collegetuitioncompare.com   

wally_wabash

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 15, 2019, 04:36:48 AM
On a semi-serious note regarding GoT (and I know a few here follow) there's quite a bit of complaining that the show is declining. Perhaps, but I don't see it. The first five seasons were extremely engrossing character development series where the action moved the characters forward, the story almost secondary (and often quite slow).  Now the action moves the story forward and the character development is set. Either the characters we have can deal with the bad dudes or not, but there is no time remaining for characters to grow. The dead are walking. The heroes have the tools available to them and they'll either live (a couple) or die (almost everyone) by what they have.

So I'm actually not unhappy with that change. It's necessary to bring the sorry to a conclusion.

This MIAC/UST thing escalated quickly. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

OzJohnnie

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 15, 2019, 01:21:09 PM
On a semi-serious note regarding GoT (and I know a few here follow) there's quite a bit of complaining that the show is declining. Perhaps, but I don't see it. The first five seasons were extremely engrossing character development series where the action moved the characters forward, the story almost secondary (and often quite slow).  Now the action moves the story forward and the character development is set. Either the characters we have can deal with the bad dudes or not, but there is no time remaining for characters to grow. The dead are walking. The heroes have the tools available to them and they'll either live (a couple) or die (almost everyone) by what they have.

So I'm actually not unhappy with that change. It's necessary to bring the sorry to a conclusion.

What the Presidents think the meeting will be:

How the meeting will really go:

[  

TheChucker

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 15, 2019, 04:05:38 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on April 15, 2019, 01:21:09 PM

What the Presidents think the meeting will be:

How the meeting will really go:

That is classic!

57Johnnie

......... all while Notre Dame Cathedral burns.  :'(
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

OzJohnnie

Quote from: 57Johnnie on April 15, 2019, 04:22:42 PM
......... all while Notre Dame Cathedral burns.  :'(
Yeah.  Apparently the beams that had held the roof and spire up were 850 years old.  That's some dry timber.  Once it got started there was no stopping it.
[  

USTBench

Re: GOT analogy

Guessing UST is the Night King/Whitewalkers, and evil unstoppable force ready to consume Westeros (the MIAC).

SJU are pretty much the Wildings, engaging us right away, letting the rest of MIAC know there's an unstoppable monolith coming, not winning the battles as frequently as they once have, despite years of dominating the Whitewalkers. Then there's Night's Watch, a bunch of outcasts on the outskirts of Westeros prepared to defend the north and engage the enemy (Concordia), and while they have competed with honor, their wall of ice was no match for a re-animated zombie dragon. Then there's Winterfell (Bethel), honorable, fully prepared for the fight, despite being underfunded and out-manned, but will likely win their fair-share of battles. Gustavus is probably the Targareans, up-and-coming, but it probably won't last. Clearly, St. Olaf is King's Landing, once powerful, but now desperate, smugly waiting like they know-it-all and conspiring with other lesser kingdoms to sit back wait to see what happens to the people actually in the fight, content to change the rules when things get too close to home.

Augsburg is probably the Iron Islands, prepared to fight alongside whomever they feel gives them the best chance to win.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

jamtod

Quote from: USTBench on April 15, 2019, 05:06:21 PM

Guessing UST is the Night King/Whitewalkers, and evil unstoppable force ready to consume Westeros (the MIAC).

SJU are pretty much the Wildings, engaging us right away, letting the rest of MIAC know there's an unstoppable monolith coming, not winning the battles as frequently as they once have, despite years of dominating the Whitewalkers. Then there's Night's Watch, a bunch of outcasts on the outskirts of Westeros prepared to defend the north and engage the enemy (Concordia), and while they have competed with honor, their wall of ice was no match for a re-animated zombie dragon. Then there's Winterfell (Bethel), honorable, fully prepared for the fight, despite being underfunded and out-manned, but will likely win their fair-share of battles. Gustavus is probably the Targareans, up-and-coming, but it probably won't last. Clearly, St. Olaf is King's Landing, once powerful, but now desperate, smugly waiting like they know-it-all and conspiring with other lesser kingdoms to sit back wait to see what happens to the people actually in the fight, content to change the rules when things get too close to home.

Augsburg is probably the Iron Islands, prepared to fight alongside whomever they feel gives them the best chance to win.

I'm not a GOT watcher, but I'd like to hear some more exposition on this re-animated zombie dragon and it's metaphorical connection to MIAC/UST football past present and future.

TheChucker

That might be the best analogy I'll ever see describing this situation. Had to laugh at the St. Olaf/Lannister parallel...although the thought of the STO President (Cersie Lannister) walking naked through the streets in shame after a big loss makes me gag.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: jamtoTommie on April 15, 2019, 05:10:00 PM
I'm not a GOT watcher, but I'd like to hear some more exposition on this re-animated zombie dragon and it's metaphorical connection to MIAC/UST football past present and future.

That's Caruso on it's back.

[  

Mr.MIAC

SJ2 is closer to the Targaryens -- a former power trying to recapture the throne, with a relaxed attitude towards incest. 

sjusection105

Pat- is D3Football going to live stream the MIAC meeting on Thursday? I'm asking for a friend.
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!