FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abnrgr

74, may the blossoms of cheerleaders descend on you. Thanks for taking it in. I am grateful.

jknezek was problematic with always being correct. ;) That's a complement jk
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

abnrgr

Christ all mighty Sigma!! That was painful. Not a colonoscopy type of uncomfortable but close
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

hscathletics

Tigers report to campus tomorrow with practice starting Friday, for those who are interested and didn't already know. Should be another great year.

hasanova

I saw Guilford WR Chad Christopher and his parents at the local Target store Tuesday night - probably helping him stock his room with a few supplies.  We chatted for a bit and talked about practice starting yesterday and the upcoming season.  There's a lot of optimism in Chad and in the greater Quaker Nation for a really good season!  Go Quakes!

HSCTiger74

Quote from: hasanova on August 14, 2014, 10:18:36 AM
I saw Guilford WR Chad Christopher and his parents at the local Target store Tuesday night - probably helping him stock his room with a few supplies.  We chatted for a bit and talked about practice starting yesterday and the upcoming season.  There's a lot of optimism in Chad and in the greater Quaker Nation for a really good season! Go Quakes!

The Quaker Nation apparently is not alone in its optimism for this season, as Guilford was the only other ODAC school to receive votes in the D3.com Top 25 Poll. Best of luck this year (aside from 11/8, of course).
TANSTAAFL

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on August 14, 2014, 12:39:59 PM
Quote from: hasanova on August 14, 2014, 10:18:36 AM
I saw Guilford WR Chad Christopher and his parents at the local Target store Tuesday night - probably helping him stock his room with a few supplies.  We chatted for a bit and talked about practice starting yesterday and the upcoming season.  There's a lot of optimism in Chad and in the greater Quaker Nation for a really good season! Go Quakes!

The Quaker Nation apparently is not alone in its optimism for this season, as Guilford was the only other ODAC school to receive votes in the D3.com Top 25 Poll. Best of luck this year (aside from 11/8, of course).
Thanks.  I've been purposely quiet about the 5 points GC got in the DIII preseason vote. Without a doubt, HSC should be #1 in the ODAC and I'm happy with #3, but let's not forget GC has topped RMC the past two seasons.  Now, if we can ever scale Tiger Mountain and not have a rainfest letdown against the likes of Averett, perhaps we can get over the 6-4 plateau as well.  :)

hasanova

Not a football story, but perhaps a footnote to the topic of "making good at DIII and then moving up", Guilford Head Golf Coach Corey Maggard has been named Assistant Golf Coach at Auburn.  In Corey's four seasons at GC since the sudden passing of basketball and golf legend Jack Jensen, the Quakers won 16 tournaments and won the ODAC title (and NCAA berth) all four seasons.  We'll miss you, Corey, but congratulations and good luck!

hasanova

Published accounts from Guilford's first few football practices report 130 Quaker student athletes on the field.  Hopefully, there is strength in numbers especially when coupled with the number of returning starters on both sides of the line.  September 6 cannot come soon enough!

tigerfanalso

130 kids is an impressive number, but without a JV team I'm not certain that number might not be too big. Not enough reps in preseason practice to show case that many people as only the three deep will get any significant reps, possible only 2 deep at each position. Numbers can be your friend but can work against you as well.

CNU85

Quote from: sigma one on August 11, 2014, 06:33:46 PM
For all the math majors out there, and just interested parties, here is the practice calculation directly from the NCAA Division III Manual:
          PRACTICE OPPORTUNITIES--FOOTBALL.  In football only, to establish the starting date for pre-season practice, the institution shall count one practice opportunity for each day beginning with the opening day of classes and one practice opportunity for each day classes are not in session in the week of the first scheduled intercollegiate contest.  Next, the institution shall count practice opportunities on an alternating basis in a two-one two-one format (i.e., the first of the remaining days is counted as two, the next day is counted as one, the next two, etc.) up to and including the 20th opportunity.  Finally, the institution shall count one practice opportunity for each of the five days before the day of the 20th opportunity
           And later . . .Sundays before the institutions opening day of classes are included in the counting.  Sundays after the institution's opening day of classes are excluded from the counting.
           And still later . . .Preseason practice shall begin with a five-day acclimatization period for both first-time participants (e.g., freshmen and transfers) and continuing student-athletes. . . .The five-day acclimatization period shall be conducted as follows (a) Institutions may not conduct conditioning, speed, strength or agility tests before the start of the five-day acclimatization period.  (b) During the first day of the five-day acclimatization period, an institution may conduct either:  (1) One on-field practice, not to exceed three hours in length.  The institution may also conduct a one one-hour walk-through session.  No protective equipment (e.g., helmet, shoulder pads) may be  worn, no equipment related to football (e.g., football, blocking sled) may be used and conditioning activities may not occur during the walk-through session.  Student-athletes must be provided with at least three hours of continuous recovery time between any sessions . . .
          And later still . . .During the remainder of the five-day period, participants shall not engage in more than one on-field practice, and one one-hour walk-through session.  No protective equipment . . .may be worn, no equipment related to football . . .may be used and conditioning activities may not occur during the walk-through session.  Student-athletes must be provided with at least three hours of continuous recovery time between any sessions.
     During the first two days of the acclimatization period, helmets shall be the only piece of protective equipment student-athletes may wear during the on-field practice session and conditioning session (as opposed to the walk-through session).  During the third and fourth days of the acclimatization period, helmets and shoulder pads shall be the only pieces of protective equipment student-athletes may wear during the on-field practice session.  During the final on-field practice session of the five-day period and on any day thereafter, student-athletes may practice in full pads.
       Finally. . .Following the five-day period, student athletes may practice in full pads.  However, an institution may not conduct multiple on-field practice sessions (e.g., two-a-days or three-a-days) on consecutive days. . . . Student-athletes shall not engage in more than three hours of on-field practice activities on those days during which one practice is permitted . . .Student-athletes shall not engage in more than five hours of on-field practice activities on those days during which more that one practice is permitted.
        The Manual then goes on to stipulate First Contest [eleven weeks before the first round of the Division III Football Championship], Preseason Joint Practice, Scrimmage or Exhibition [one permitted], etc.

This is a lot of words, but I know everyone figures it out.

I think a former IRS agent wrote that!

hasanova

I think a CURRENT IRS agent wrote it!

jknezek

W&L posted their roster recently. Seems like it wasn't the best recruiting year for the Generals, but nothing too abnormal. There were 83 or so Generals last year, there are 74 this year. 21 FYs, 19 Sophs, 19 Jnr, 12 Snrs. As is typical, the retention is excellent even if the numbers aren't huge. Unlike last year when a missing Alex Evans rang an immediate alarm bell I'm not seeing any significant attrition this year.

Just a few names to watch. Micah Fleet is back for the OL for his senior season, Austin Eisenhoffer back at RB for his senior year. The Taylors are back at DB in their fourth year, as is Stephen Mauk. The OL and DL should both have significant senior status. Junior Dillon Stanfield is back in the backfield, Alex Yacoubian in the defensive backfield, Russell Schmidt at QB/RB, Jake Barr in the linebacking corps.

But the real key is the sophomore class which brings back QB Charlie Nelson and RB Marshall Hollerith who were significant contributors as well as a few other lettermen like Will Dyson. I expect a bunch more from this class to see serious time this year as they seemed to be an exceptionally strong FY class last year and there was really good retention.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on August 19, 2014, 11:27:39 AM
W&L posted their roster recently. Seems like it wasn't the best recruiting year for the Generals, but nothing too abnormal. There were 83 or so Generals last year, there are 74 this year. 21 FYs, 19 Sophs, 19 Jnr, 12 Snrs. As is typical, the retention is excellent even if the numbers aren't huge. Unlike last year when a missing Alex Evans rang an immediate alarm bell I'm not seeing any significant attrition this year.

Just a few names to watch. Micah Fleet is back for the OL for his senior season, Austin Eisenhoffer back at RB for his senior year. The Taylors are back at DB in their fourth year, as is Stephen Mauk. The OL and DL should both have significant senior status. Junior Dillon Stanfield is back in the backfield, Alex Yacoubian in the defensive backfield, Russell Schmidt at QB/RB, Jake Barr in the linebacking corps.

But the real key is the sophomore class which brings back QB Charlie Nelson and RB Marshall Hollerith who were significant contributors as well as a few other lettermen like Will Dyson. I expect a bunch more from this class to see serious time this year as they seemed to be an exceptionally strong FY class last year and there was really good retention.
As a numbers guy, what about the other three? :)

jknezek

hah. I pulled the breakdown from a message i got on facebook. that'll teach me to not check it over. 21 FY, 20 sophomores, 20 juniors, and 13 seniors. that makes 74. +K for the catch...

tigerfanalso

Sounds like 2015 could be the year for the Generals, if not 2014.