FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: tigerfanalso on August 19, 2014, 02:10:50 PM
Sounds like 2015 could be the year for the Generals, if not 2014.

I do think next year is probably more promising than this year, but I'm not ready to pack it in yet. Especially since this year is the better home/away schedule. As for 2016, that's too far away. I think the seniors in the 2016 season look like they could be strong, but you still have to fill in behind them, and that assumes this sophomore group achieves the potential that I think is there. Not worth thinking about right now. I'm looking forward to seeing Hollerith chew up a lot of defenses this year and hopefully the QB situation matures a bit. I'd like to see a Charlie Westfal type that can throw just a bit as opposed to how extremely one dimensional we've been the last two years. I guess that requires a few receivers as well. Even when the QB hit the receivers last year there were too many drops.

We'll see. I think the pre-season coaches poll has the Generals about right but the 2006 and 2010 teams both came from mild expectations.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on August 19, 2014, 01:55:00 PM
hah. I pulled the breakdown from a message i got on facebook. that'll teach me to not check it over. 21 FY, 20 sophomores, 20 juniors, and 13 seniors. that makes 74. +K for the catch...
I'm just messing with you ... but I do notice numbers.  Hope the Generals have a good season ... except against the Quakers, of course.  :)

tigerfanalso

I've got a feeling the defenses will be tuned into to Hollerith a little more this year. I know him well and know how tough he is and he will be hard to stop but I've got to think the defenses will make W&L beat them on the corners this year.

I think the odac is going to be very exciting again this year. I hope it is not going to be too exciting however. Top four may very well beat each other up. Always the possibilty of a bottom four team beating one of the top four as well.  HSC may haves the toughest schedule; going to W&L with GC and RMC back to back to finish the season. HSC never plays well at CAU and of course must go to SU, a team that beat HSC last year.

Can't wait to get the season started. The visit to Wabash is going to be exciting and I hope HSC can compete with them on the road. The following week vs. CNU is going to be difficult as well. ODAC has some very good OOC games. RMC vs. Hopkins; W&L vs. Centre and the two mentioned above.

jknezek

I agree that defenses are going to pack the center to try and stop Hollerith. It will be interesting to see how well it works. Teams did the same thing with Heinsohn and he still picked up yards. Not sure if Hollerith is in the same league, because Heinsohn was ridiculously good, but I have an idea we're going to find out. A lot will depend on guys like Eisenhoffer getting to the corners and how well the QB position picks up. But I still think Hollerith is going to hurt teams. There is nothing an offense lineman likes more than run blocking for a big physical back who is going to add to the punishment up the middle. Having that kind of player is a multiplier. But as we all know, in football one guy isn't enough. We will see how the Generals do, but I'm pretty realistic in my expectations for this year. Hope to be surprised. Can't wait to see the team in Sewanee.

We actually have a vacation planned for the whole week of Labor Day, but I think I'm almost as excited to get to the Mountain to see the Generals play for a few hours. Amazing...

HSCTiger fan

HSC had an inter squad scrimmage on Saturday. It was great to see the Tigers in action. It was also very nice to see 300-400 fans attend a practice game. 
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

hasanova

I'll have to check and see if Guilford has an intra-squad game as well.

tigerfanalso

TigerFan

Sorry I could not make Saturday (golf game got in the way). Team look about what one would expect ?
I'm sure the 1's didn't play too much.

HSCTiger fan

The 1s had maybe 3 or 4 series. The best part for me personally was catching up with 5 or 6 friends. An interesting fact about this team according the roster there are 31 freshmen, 26 Sophomores, 28 juniors, and 26 seniors.  That's not the typical mix at the D3 level. Most teams have 45 plus freshmen and it dwindles down to less than 15 seniors. Other tidbits I noticed - a few freshmen can play!  Walker looked faster than ever. Nance look comfortable behind retooled OL.  Macko looked great but so at least did 5 other RBs. The longest run of the day was from another senior - Sprouse.  OL is making solid progress, the defense is fast.

This is the best team HSC has had in a long time if not ever. They have superstars on offense and defense but they also have players that will not start that could start for most ODAC teams. Heck some of them would be stars themselves if they got the chance. This team will create sleepless nights for offensive and defensive coordinators on the week leading up to the games.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

CMR

Here's what I find most interesting about the HSC roster, they have two transfers from Randolph-Macon.  What's the storyline there?

tigerfanalso

The RMC transfers are tired of not winning championships so they enrolled in a quality program that knows how to win !!!!!!
Just kidding. The decision to transfer from RMC to HSC had to be a difficult one and I hope HSC can use that to their advantage in the recruiting wars going forward.

HSCTiger fan

Maybe they got tired of having to wear a collared shirt to class every day, maybe they got tired of being told to check in to the football office every day before 9:00 am, maybe they broke a rule like wearing a burgundy colored shirt to a football meeting, or having an HSC player as a friend on social media, maybe they wanted to make some decisions on their own and not have every decision made for them. 
Hampden Sydney College

wally_wabash

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on August 26, 2014, 07:44:19 AM
Nance look comfortable behind retooled OL. 

It's easy to be comfortable going against a defense that isn't trying to get you.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Michael Herbert

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 26, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

It's easy to be comfortable going against a defense that isn't trying to get you.   :)

That's certainly not the case with Dodson's defense.  This is the best defense I've seen since 2003.  If the Tigers lose a game during the regular season, I'd be willing to bet that it's not going to be because of sloppy defense.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Michael Herbert on August 26, 2014, 10:16:23 AM

It's easy to be comfortable going against a defense that isn't trying to get you.   :)

That's certainly not the case with Dodson's defense.  This is the best defense I've seen since 2003.  If the Tigers lose a game during the regular season, I'd be willing to bet that it's not going to be because of sloppy defense.

So H-SC's defense is putting hits on Nash Nance in an intrasquad scrimmage?  They're really bringing the heat on their All-American quarterback in practice? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: Michael Herbert on August 26, 2014, 10:16:23 AM

Yeah, I'm still thinking "don't injure the QB" was a pretty big commandment during a preseason intra-squad scrimmage. I expect them to be a pretty good defense, but I think it's very reasonable to assume they weren't  pushing 100% to get to Nance. And I think that is 100% reasonable.