2016 West Regional - Spokane, WA

Started by Westside, April 24, 2016, 10:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasBB

ElRetornodelEspencio
Case and the other teams in the UAA must have a great endowment for their sports teams. What you describe is a lot of travel expense to play in conference games. I know that UTT has a very limited travel budget. They stay in Texas for the most part and hope to lure teams from outside the region to travel to Texas during spring break. Denison did that this year as the Big Red played several Texas based teams instead of going to Florida which they had previously done. The ASC is spread out with teams in Louisiana to far West Texas. So playing conference games means a lot of travel but it is long bus rides not airfare.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: ElRetornodelEspencio on May 22, 2016, 03:21:51 PM
Quote from: CAK72B on May 21, 2016, 10:22:04 PM
The A side of the World Series is going to be stacked. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishers (Cortland/Lacrosse/Trinity) are all in it and Trinity opens up with UWL in a rematch/vengeance game from last year. I have to think that will be the most looked forwarded to game of Day 1 in Wisconsin

There are 6 #1 seeds that won regionals. It should be a great tournament.

I'm not sure if there was an injury issue or what, But LaRoche's best pitcher (and a probable All-American) only threw 3 innings in the regional and they still came back through the loser's bracket.

I watched the last few innings and they mentioned he was suspended for a few games due to "actions during game 1".  It showed he threw 1 inning and was replaced in the 2nd inning.  That was all I heard.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: TexasBB on May 22, 2016, 05:18:30 PM
ElRetornodelEspencio
Case and the other teams in the UAA must have a great endowment for their sports teams. What you describe is a lot of travel expense to play in conference games. I know that UTT has a very limited travel budget. They stay in Texas for the most part and hope to lure teams from outside the region to travel to Texas during spring break. Denison did that this year as the Big Red played several Texas based teams instead of going to Florida which they had previously done. The ASC is spread out with teams in Louisiana to far West Texas. So playing conference games means a lot of travel but it is long bus rides not airfare.
I am sure that UTT is like McMurry. Most of the travel budget is spent traveling 200 or even 600 miles for a series and then spending at least 6-8 nights in a motel.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ElRetornodelEspencio on May 22, 2016, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on May 22, 2016, 02:04:37 PM
Sorry, but your Case was dismissed. The "if my cow had horns it'd be a bull," argument is not persuasive; but it does feature some bull.  Moving on.  :D

Great, classy stuff.

Just to circle back to something I said earlier because while it was accurate this year, it will not be accurate going forward -- Case and the entire UAA will be playing a proper conference schedule (sort of) next year. 3-game, Fri-Sun series. That means Case is traveling to Atlanta, Chicago and New York City in late March and April for *conference* series next year, and schools from St. Louis and Boston are visiting Cleveland. So no more UAA tournament in Florida and then playing all non-conference the rest of the year.

That's only going to strengthen the schedules of the UAA teams further.
+1!  Thanks for the update.

Purple Heys

Quote from: ElRetornodelEspencio on May 22, 2016, 03:13:48 PM
Quote from: Purple Heys on May 22, 2016, 02:04:37 PM
Sorry, but your Case was dismissed. The "if my cow had horns it'd be a bull," argument is not persuasive; but it does feature some bull.  Moving on.  :D

Great, classy stuff.

Just to circle back to something I said earlier because while it was accurate this year, it will not be accurate going forward -- Case and the entire UAA will be playing a proper conference schedule (sort of) next year. 3-game, Fri-Sun series. That means Case is traveling to Atlanta, Chicago and New York City in late March and April for *conference* series next year, and schools from St. Louis and Boston are visiting Cleveland. So no more UAA tournament in Florida and then playing all non-conference the rest of the year.

That's only going to strengthen the schedules of the UAA teams further.

Yawn...
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

Actually though...a D3 having that kind of travel schedule is pretty cool. It ought to be a nice selling point to recruits.  That these schools put that kind of backing to their program is a point of envy.

I'd like to get a peek at their anticipated operating budget for next season.

Bmo

My first take on the WS..  Pool  A will have a lot of familiarity from last year.  Trinity went 1-1 vs both Emory and UW lacrosse in 2015.  UW lacrosse played everybody in the pool last year, going 1-0 vs Emory and 0-2 vs Cortland. 

First round pitching match ups will most likely be Gray vs Boushley and Lamando vs Weeg. 

Both Trinity and UW lacrosse have improved substantially this year on the offensive front, with many of the same faces returning. The biggest difference on the Trinity side is the emergence of Waters from last season.

A UW lacrosse is strong defensively except on the left side of the infield, where the vast majority of their errors have come from.  One surprising stat is that ace Boushley has given up a ton of homeruns (9) this year, but they seem to have limited to solos for the most part.

108 Stitches

Quote from: Bmo on May 22, 2016, 08:03:35 PM
My first take on the WS..  Pool  A will have a lot of familiarity from last year.  Trinity went 1-1 vs both Emory and UW lacrosse in 2015.  UW lacrosse played everybody in the pool last year, going 1-0 vs Emory and 0-2 vs Cortland. 

Actually Trinity went 2-2 vs Emory and La Crosse. They lost their first WS game (ever) to Emory in a close 9-7 game, which forced them into the loser bracket. They came back and crushed them in the second game they played them. (after crushing Salsbury)  They Crushed LaCrosse in their first game 16-6 and lost their last game 10-7 in a sloppy mess where the game was pulled in early in the morning to try to get it in, after Trinity's evening game the night before was pushed back late  due to weather. The NCAA more or less forced the game in and it was particularly bad for Trinity as a downpour happened when they were cruising 3-0 in the 5th and routine fly ball to RF dropped in because the fielder slipped in the sloppy conditions. If it was a D1 game it would have never been played.

Now to the team. The team on the field is the same exact same with the addition of Waters, but they are all one year more experienced and much much more disciplined at the plate. They also have more power, and 1-9 they are solid with only one player hitting below 0.300 , several over 0.400.

Comparing the number
           BA       OB         SLG
2015  0.328   0.311     0.455
2016  0.353   0.429     0.544

They lost a lot of Sr pitching last year but they have three legit Sr starters, with a bunch of Jr's and younger guys who have developed and actually have the second best ERA in the country right now. I have not had the time to look through the other team rosters but I can not imagine that Trinity and Cortland should be the two favorites going in the CWS this year. (but of course I am not biased  ;) ) W'll see what D3 baseball comes up with their CWS preview.

Looking forward to it!

Bmo

"Trinity went 1-1 vs both Emory and UW lacrosse" = "Trinity went 2-2 vs Emory and La Crosse."  You say tomato..  ;D

And also slight correction on the 2015 obp.

Comparing the number
           BA       OB         SLG
2015  0.328   0.406     0.455
2016  0.353   0.429     0.544

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Bmo on May 22, 2016, 09:49:01 PM
"Trinity went 1-1 vs both Emory and UW lacrosse" = "Trinity went 2-2 vs Emory and La Crosse."  You say tomato..  ;D
But Ginger Rogers did everything that Fred Astaire did, except backwards and in high heels!
;D

ElRetornodelEspencio

ElRetornodelEspencio

No schools in the UAA are poor. That is absolutely true. They're excellent schools and their quality has brought them financial success.

Denison is similar in both regards.

The UAA sort-of round robin I assume means that those schools will be scheduling others for spring break. We know they have money and don't mind traveling, maybe some of you western programs can put together something to bring them out your way, since we know no West team is ever playing in Cleveland in the regular season.

It's not the West region, but I think it would be interesting to have some kind of early-season megatournament in the new indoor stadium in Minneapolis.

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 22, 2016, 06:05:54 PM
ElRetornodelEspencio
I am sure that UTT is like McMurry. Most of the travel budget is spent traveling 200 or even 600 miles for a series and then spending at least 6-8 nights in a motel.

So like a spring trip in terms of night spent away from home, then.

I imagine these UAA schools will be lapping the field in terms of long in-conference trips.

We all have our crosses to bear. I think the Oregon and Washington schools have a lot tougher than anyone from Texas in terms of being welded into a schedule. They truly don't have many choices.

ElRetornodelEspencio

Quote from: Purple Heys on May 22, 2016, 06:39:11 PM
Actually though...a D3 having that kind of travel schedule is pretty cool. It ought to be a nice selling point to recruits.  That these schools put that kind of backing to their program is a point of envy.

I'd like to get a peek at their anticipated operating budget for next season.

I don't know what it would be for all of them, but Wash U hired Stevens Point's coach and Marietta's top assistant when they reshuffled the deck last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they're close to the national leaders in budget -- would just make sense to be if you spend all that money on personnel.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ElRetornodelEspencio on May 23, 2016, 01:32:05 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 22, 2016, 06:05:54 PM
ElRetornodelEspencio

So like a spring trip in terms of night spent away from home, then.

I imagine these UAA schools will be lapping the field in terms of long in-conference trips.

We all have our crosses to bear. I think the Oregon and Washington schools have a lot tougher than anyone from Texas in terms of being welded into a schedule. They truly don't have many choices.
Yes, like a spring trip but with no big boost to the schools that make up the SOS. 

You are right about the OR and WA schools. I really look forward to the tourneys in AZ in February when we get to see the inter-conference play among West Region teams.

I wish that the NCAA would use a statistical tool that would show the Standard Deviation (SD) of a school's SOS above the mean for a Region.

A .550 for a New England school might be 1.8 SD's above the mean for the New England Region.
A .535 for a West Region school might be the same 1.8 SD's above the mean for the West Region.

Purple Heys

Congratulations to Trinity for carrying the West Region Banner all the way!
#yeswestisbest