BB: NWC: Northwest Conference

Started by Tezbaseball, December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane falco

Thanks Tez,

Not bad numbers but not very good either.

Hope they give him another year to show his stuff.  You can't assess a player's major league potential with 34 games.  It always took me 34 games to just get in the groove at the plate.

Players need about 70 games to see what they can really do.
"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever."

Ralph Turner

Quote from: bergybit on January 16, 2006, 12:16:23 AM
...   (New to DIII sports and a lot poorer than I was this time last year)

Aahh, bergybit, welcome to the D3 baseball message board!
Just make sure you pay your ISP bill!

Lots of entertainment on these pages...

The list of previous champions is found on Jim Dixon's D III Baseball's web site on the "Useful Links" page.

http://www.d3sports.com/post/index.php?topic=4169.0

Tezbaseball

Quote from: shane falco on January 16, 2006, 02:41:52 AM
Thanks Tez,

Not bad numbers but not very good either.

Hope they give him another year to show his stuff.  You can't assess a player's major league potential with 34 games.  It always took me 34 games to just get in the groove at the plate.

Players need about 70 games to see what they can really do.

If the Phillies system is anything like the Giants, Tommy most likely will return for more seasoning with the GCL Phillies or they will promote him to the Batavia Muckdogs of the short season New York-Penn League. It will depend on what kind of Spring Training and extended spring training he has. Good point on assessing a player's major League potential. I would even say that you can't assess weither a player has major league potential for a couple of years. There are a few exceptions.
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

bergybit

Thanks, Ralph.   I'm working on getting caught up with previous postings.  Plenty of good material here and in other sections of the site. 

Does anyone have any comments/predictions regarding the other schools in the NWC, beyond George Fox and Linfield?   Based on last year's record, Pacific Lutheran appears like they're at least competitive with those two, but what about others?   Whitworth, Willamette?  Seems like Willamette's ramped up their recruiting with an eye toward improvement.   

swede

What impresses me the most about Patterson is that he makes contact with the ball. I only saw a few cat games last year but never saw him strike out.

swede

Quote from: Olinemom on January 14, 2006, 01:21:11 AM
Quote from: Tezbaseball on December 30, 2005, 06:53:46 PM
Baseball in the great Northwest

if it ever stops raining!! ;D ;D  Do they have flotation devices for the outfielders?  Tee hee!  Just to say hi cause the Olinemom is BCBaseball Mom as well!!
Olinemom
Nice to see ya on the BB board. As for those flotation devices they are prohibited by the NCAA. However, the morning of the game the ground crew sets out sump pumps at each base where they anchor the bags and once the water recedes they bring in a helicopter to dry the field. ;D

Tezbaseball

Quote from: bergybit on January 16, 2006, 09:16:36 PM
Thanks, Ralph.   I'm working on getting caught up with previous postings.  Plenty of good material here and in other sections of the site. 

Does anyone have any comments/predictions regarding the other schools in the NWC, beyond George Fox and Linfield?   Based on last year's record, Pacific Lutheran appears like they're at least competitive with those two, but what about others?   Whitworth, Willamette?  Seems like Willamette's ramped up their recruiting with an eye toward improvement.   

I'll post the 2006 team outlooks as they come out.
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

LCLetters

Any news on Alex Justus playing again?  He had some games with the Gateway Grizzlies at the end of the summer.

Tezbaseball

Quote from: LCLetters on January 17, 2006, 05:16:28 PM
Any news on Alex Justus playing again?  He had some games with the Gateway Grizzlies at the end of the summer.

LC thanks for the question. I will tap my resources to find out....

Tuxguy

Talked with one of the players last night at Roth's. He sounded pretty positive about the season ahead. Said he Can't wait to get outside for some action. I new the Cats  would be good, after my talk, sounds like the Cats are going to be real good.
            GO WILDCATS!  BRING BACK THE BAND! ;D
Only at a D3 football game could you have 2 seats on the 50 yard line (2 rows behind bluenote) and have an obstructed view!
I love D3 Football!!!

Tezbaseball

Quote from: Tuxguy on January 18, 2006, 02:14:05 PM
Talked with one of the players last night at Roth's. He sounded pretty positive about the season ahead. Said he Can't wait to get outside for some action. I new the Cats  would be good, after my talk, sounds like the Cats are going to be real good.
            GO WILDCATS!  BRING BACK THE BAND! ;D

Please no band in baseball. The 'Cats will be ok. I figure top 3 finish. Question is what did Pat Bailey bring in over at GFC

Tezbaseball

NCAA Division III All Time All Tournament Team

First Team
Pos - Player, Team (years played)                       
C  - Doug Flowers, NC Wesleyan (1989-90)             
1B  - Craig Lieder, Wisconsin-Oshkosh, (1992-95)     
2B  - John Cole, Ithaca (1985-86)                       
3B  - Jeremy Stewart, NC Wesleyan (1997-99)           
3B  - Mike Brandts, Marietta (1984-86)                 
SS  - Tim Jorgensen, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (1992-95)     
DH  - John Deutsch, Montclair St (1986-87)             
OF  - Eric Jarman, NC Wesleyan (1987, 1989-90)       
OF  - Terry Jorgensen, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (1985-87)   
OF  - Bob Prince, Southern Maine (1989, 1991-92)     
OF  - Mark DeMenna, William Paterson (1995-96,1999)   

P  - Corey Hamman, Montclair State (2000-01)           
P  - Joey Serfass, Eastern Conn State (2002-04)       
P  - Brian Ford, Methodist (1992, 1995)   

Second Team
C  - Kevin Murdock, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (1984-87)     
1B  - Jeff Polinsky, La Verne, (1995)                 
2B  - Craig Conway, Montclair State (1998,2000-01)   
3B  - Ken Wainczak, College of NJ (1991)             
SS  - Brian Lindner, William Paterson (1995-96)       
SS  - Jim Fasano, Montclair St (1985-87)               
DH  - Tim Peterson, Rowan (1977-78)                   
OF  - Shorty Flees, Carthage, 1994-95, 1997)         
OF  - Brad Bonine, St Thomas (1999-2001)             
OF  - Mark Talarico, Marietta (1980-1983)             
OF  - Dwight Wildman, Eastern Conn State (2002-04)   
OF  - Gary Williamson, Southern Maine (1991-92)        

P  - Frank Dippold, Montclair State (1993)         
P  - Rich Jarer, Cortland State (1997-99)           
P  - Jarrod Washburn, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (1994-95)   
P  - Scott Hyde, George Fox (2004)                    

Honorable Mention
C  - Derek Bastinck, Ramapo (1984)                   
C  - Drew Witouski, Marietta (1985-86, 1988)       
1B  - Dan Boer, Cal St Stanislaus (1976-77)       
2B  - Chris D'Amato, Eastern Conn State (1995,1998)   
UT  - Jim Pancher, Marietta (1981-83)                   
DH  - Lou Milano, Ithaca (1985-86, 1988)               

P  - Brad Matzek, Wisconsin-Oshkosh (1993-94)         
P  - Scott Chiasson, Eastern Conn State (1998)     
P  - Jason Jensen, Southern Maine (1997)             
P  - Jim Katschke, Marietta (1983-86)                 

cawcdad

Tez,
Just curious where the list came from. I work with Dan Boer, great guy!

Tezbaseball

Quote from: cawcdad on January 19, 2006, 03:16:19 PM
Tez,
Just curious where the list came from. I work with Dan Boer, great guy!

I think I found it on the d3 sports website. I will hunt it down for you.

Gig Harbor Cat

Its that time again boys.  while I am a huge Wildcat football fan, baseball is my true love. 
As for the Cats they will be just fine.  One of my players will be starting at 3rd this year.  He was a stud in high school and he has developed quite well.  Up until now he has had to wait his turn, playing behind some outstanding players, but I expect a big year from him and the Cats.

GO CATS

GHC