Pool C

Started by Pat Coleman, January 20, 2006, 02:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Don't put words in my mouth... I am on no side of the issue(s). What I have been hearing from different angles is that McMurray hasn't exactly garnered any favors from anyone and no one is exactly in the mood to grant them any. Does that mean they won't skip a year and that request would be denied? No. It certainly could happen. I am just indicating nothing from what I have gathered indicates the back and forth jumping around by McMurray has been well received and thus I would argue they have made the process more difficult for themselves than help themselves.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Gotcha. I'll keep that in mind, although it's hard to tell when you're posting scuttlebutt (not on the record facts) only on one side of the McMurry question.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Knowing I may not get back to this topic for several days because we are putting Kickoff out the door, here's my full take on this:

First of all, there has already been plenty of punishment along these lines already. A couple of people at a couple of conferences got ticked off that McMurry had a little success in its last season in Division III, and got a rule passed that made schools that had announced they were leaving for another division ineligible for the postseason from that moment on. This didn't affect McMurry, but it does affect the ASC, because "The McMurry Rule" was applied to Mississippi College in 2013-14, meaning that the ASC doesn't have an automatic bid in football this season. By all common sense, the ASC should have one year left on its grace period, because Mississippi College fully participated in the 2013 ASC football season and the conference had seven members at that time.

Secondly, McMurry's administration recognized relatively early on that it had made a mistake and took the right steps to reverse it. Of course, Dave does point out that there's nothing in the bylaws that says to speed up re-entry, but of course, there is nothing in the bylaws one way or the other covering transitioning in a school that never finished transitioning out. If the NCAA holds up McMurry a full four (or five) years in becoming eligible, all it's doing is hurting student-athletes. Let's find a way to let them fix their mistakes and remain contented members of Division III -- as contented as any Texas school can be with an organization that screws over Texas (and others) every time it wants to save a buck.

Lastly, "many in the region would tell you" is just plain weak sauce. We all could find "many" (whatever that means) people who would say things. That doesn't mean they are decision-makers or that all of them are even well-informed. Plenty of people have opinions. I happen to agree that the plan was ill-conceived and said that from the get-go, but to couch it as that kind of hearsay is just poor debate.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

KnightSlappy

I their September meeting, the NCAA Championships Committee once again reaffirmed that the final regional rankings will go unpublished.

Good on the Men's Basketball Committee for continually recommending transparency in this regard; hopefully other sports are jumping / will jump on board as well to eventually get those published publicly.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

This is disappointing on two fronts, by the way: the fact they still will not be published and the idea I heard was gaining traction to allow each committee to make its own decision was also shot down.

I need to get back on the grinding machine with this. It is a real joke.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

"The off-season is over. The basketball season has arrived, but it can't start without Hoopsville hitting the air! Tune in tonight as Dave talks to the two preseason number one teams, touches base with a major coaching change, checks in with the men's basketball National Committee chair, and previews the Northeast Region.

Show starts at 7PM ET! www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/nov12

Guests include:
- Grey Giovanine, head coach for #1 Augustana men
- Jeff Hans, head coach for #1 Thomas More women
- Brian Van Haaften, men's basketball committee chair and head coach for Buena Vista
- Trevor Woodruff, head coach for Scranton women
- Matt Noonan, Northeast Regional Reporter"

You can also catch up on the Hoopsville New Rules Special we did and published yesterday. We chatted with:
- Bill Raleigh, Southwestern Assistant Athletic Director and former men's basketball coach along with being on the men's rules committee
- Brad Duckworth, Alverno Athletic Director and women's head coach along with being the current chair of the women's rules committee
- Tim Fitzpatrick, Coast Guard Athletic Director

You can watch or listen to that show here: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/rules-special

AND BIG NEWS... Hoopsville has added Sunday shows to this year's November and December schedule. That means the show will air Thursdays and Sundays from the beginning of the season until the end. Each show will air at 7pm ET (unless noted) with a few shows in November and December being canceled due to holidays or other responsibilities (i.e. Gagliari Trophy and Stagg Bowl Week).

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
SoundCloud (podcast): www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Kind of sad Nebraska Wesleyan didn't play a d3 schedule this year - this team looks really good, but they're graduating most of their talent.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 02, 2016, 07:44:08 PM

Kind of sad Nebraska Wesleyan didn't play a d3 schedule this year - this team looks really good, but they're graduating most of their talent.

Well they are eligible for the NCAA tournament and they are always granted an exemption to the schedule challenges making them eligible for an at-large. Granted, the chances are slim, but they have a chance. Of course, they are only playing four Division III opponents this season, so I doubt the exemptions will help that much. LOL

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 03, 2016, 01:17:45 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on January 02, 2016, 07:44:08 PM

Well they are eligible for the NCAA tournament and they are always granted an exemption to the schedule challenges making them eligible for an at-large. Granted, the chances are slim, but they have a chance. Of course, they are only playing four Division III opponents this season, so I doubt the exemptions will help that much. LOL

Exactly.  Without a real d3 schedule I have a hard time believing they'll be seriously considered.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

They have been in the conversation with less than half of their schedule being D3... just not sure four games will allow it. Will have to chat with the chair about it sometime soon.

sac

Neb. Wesleyan is listed as being eligible for NAIA post-season play on the NAIA website.  I don't know if that constitutes declaring for the NAIA post-season or not in the NCAA's eyes but at least to the NAIA they can compete there.  It would match what NWU has done in most sports for several years now.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

According to the NCAA Pre-Championship Handbook, they have declared themselves eligible for the basketball tournament. That is a decision they usually have to make in May or June, so I would be surprised if that changes or is wrong.

sac

That's where I don't know whether NAIA is more flexible with Neb. Wesleyan in allowing them to "jump to the NCAA" tournament.  Neb. Wesleyan was ranked in the their conference rankings back in early December.

I'm not sure NAIA says one or the other for them.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: sac on January 03, 2016, 07:57:08 PM
That's where I don't know whether NAIA is more flexible with Neb. Wesleyan in allowing them to "jump to the NCAA" tournament.  Neb. Wesleyan was ranked in the their conference rankings back in early December.

I'm not sure NAIA says one or the other for them.

My understanding is that the NAIA changed its rules in order to disallow schools from postseason eligibility that  announce that they will be moving to the NCAA in the future (or, in NebWes's case, that announce that the school's long-standing bigamy will end as NWU will keep the NCAA affiliation and drop the NAIA affiliation starting in 2016-17). This rule was put in place to help stem the bleeding that was going on for quite a while as NAIA schools jumped ship to join NCAA D2 or D3. It was sort of a "if you plan on walking out the door on us tomorrow, you can't go dancing with us tonight" rule.

Perhaps that rule has since been rescinded. Or perhaps the NAIA website listing of NebWes as an NAIA-tourney-eligible school to which sac referred is an error. As we all know, it wouldn't be the first time that one of the national organizations bollixed this sort of thing online.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

KnightSlappy

New Pre-Championship Handbook is out: http://www.ncaa.org/championships/division-iii-mens-basketball. They still haven't updated the OWP/OOWP explanation page so it still doesn't make sense.

I've updated my regional ranking data through Sunday night. Hosting it at a new site: http://detroitjockcity.com/division-iii-mens-basketball-regional-rankings-data/ so update your bookmarks accordingly (and page through some of the hot internet #content while you're at it  :)).