2009 Cortaca Jug

Started by Pat Coleman, November 08, 2009, 02:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How high do you have to be able to count to get a degree from Cortland?

3 (20%)
2 (13.3%)
2 (13.3%)
1 (6.7%)
0, Grastorf will fumble every time.
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Bombers798891

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 09, 2009, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: maxpower on November 09, 2009, 03:57:58 PM
But we're not outside those campuses, and it's a good think we shat the bed against Curry, because you would have had the embarrassment of losing TWO to IC...

I see no logic in this comment although your writing skills are outstanding as you don't see many people using the phrase "shat the bed" but if that somehow "floats your boat", "butters your biscuit" or wait, almost forgot your IC stock, "Tickles your pickle", knock yourself out.  That aside, would have loved to have seen Cortaca II but not our fault you couldn't pull it off.  And yes we did enjoy going that deep into the playoffs even if it were the first time particularly in a year that IC crapped out when it counted.

Why would you have wanted to see Cortaca II? Wouldn't you have rather seen Alliance instead of our fans celebrating at your expense, again?

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 01:39:21 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 01:34:12 PM
Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 01:09:23 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 12:11:47 PM
Quote from: Yanks 99 on November 09, 2009, 11:02:19 AM
In reference to the fan poll...I never understood why Coach Welch did this, and from what I understand continues to do so.  I remember a Cortaca game at Butterfield one year (I believe it was the year that CS won on a last second TD pass in the same endzone as the score board) where IC punted the ball at least twice while at the CS 30 yard line (one I believe was at the 28-29 yard line).  Both punts went into the endzone.

Great coach...but I never understood this.  At worst...throw it up in the end zone...

Looking back, I think Welch made the right call, both times

I think his logic was this:

1) Grastorf was terrible in that game. Absolutely awful. As in 8-25. There was no way you could think he was going to convert a 4th and 9 and 4th and 10 the way he was throwing. It was windy, cold, and he wasn't doing anything in the passing game

2) Curry was down 21-18 at the time, but they three kicks blocked in the game, and muffed a snap on another XP. They weren't playing to get into FG range to kick it and force OT. They needed a TD. Everyone in the stadium knew it. Even when they scored to go up 24-21, they risked going for two.

3) I think Welch believed it would be tougher for Curry to drive all the way down the field on Ithaca, and even gaining 10-15 yards on a punt could be huge. And I think he had confidence in his coverage unit and punter to down one at the goal line (they came close on the first one)

Ultimately, Grastorf just wasn't playing well enough to justify going for it. Heck, he had a man open on the slant the second to last play of the game that would have won it and he wasn't even close.

I'm ultra-critical of the team and the coach, but I think he made the right call there. They wouldn't have picked up those 1st downs anyway

I cannot speak to the Curry game (if you were there...I will take your word for it that it was the right call).  But do you remember the Cortaca game I mentioned above?  If I remember right, they were moving the ball up and down the field (I am about 90% sure that BY was the QB then) against a .500 Cortland team.  On that day (and that day only) punting at the CS 30 seemed to make zero sense...especially because it wasn't like 4th goal/15+ or anything like that.

That was 1997 I think. (Boy, when you start with the qualifier "Cortland won at Ithaca" it really narrows down the number of games you have to flip through  :D.) I don't recall the punt in question, although, if memory serves me correctly, that last TD was a busted play where the Ithaca safety fell down. The weather was terrible that day, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Although if BY was the QB, that would make it 1999. I was there and I don't recall there being an incident like that. Just an epic 4th quarter collapse by the Bombers.

I can't confirm nor deny the call in that instance except to say that asking Young to "throw it up" was never a good plan. (And frankly, the QB of the 1997 team, Mike O'Donovan, had issues with INTS too)

Now that you mention it...I think it was 97...I do remember the safety falling down on that play...and I am even more sure it was O'Donovan at QB and not BY.

On that day, I still thought it made more sense to throw it up to the endzone.  At worst, the ball gets knocked down and CS takes over at the 30 or it gets picked in the endzone and they start at the 20.  At best, someone makes a play and you put 6 on the board.  I mean, to punt and get 10 yards in field position is ridiculous.

I played in that game and do not remember ever punting inside the 30 or 40 yardline even. 

There was a punt that was called back because Cortland fans were blowing whistles in the crowd.  Then the next punt was shanked.  That might be what you were thinking about.

RedDragonFan

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 07:19:03 PM
But we're not outside those campuses, and it's a good think we shat the bed against Curry, because you would have had the embarrassment of losing TWO to IC...

I see no logic in this comment although your writing skills are outstanding as you don't see many people using the phrase "shat the bed" but if that somehow "floats your boat", "butters your biscuit" or wait, almost forgot your IC stock, "Tickles your pickle", knock yourself out.  That aside, would have loved to have seen Cortaca II but not our fault you couldn't pull it off.  And yes we did enjoy going that deep into the playoffs even if it were the first time particularly in a year that IC crapped out when it counted.

Why would you have wanted to see Cortaca II? Wouldn't you have rather seen Alliance instead of our fans celebrating at your expense, again?
Actually we did see Alliance last year and we love  the opportunity to square off with IC anytime, anywhere and the playoffs would have made for a great game.  The more important question though is why no clever quips in you last post?  Guess you "shat the bed" in the first round of your posts here and last year in the playoffs as well.  Well done.

maxpower

And you can beat every team but the one you're shat-talking... I won't expect you guys to get too comfortable in the stands Saterday, gotta beat the halftime cortland-fan traffic....

TheEnforcer

<--- Needs a ride to Ithaca from Rochester for the weekend.  Only plane ticket I could get.  Anyone coming in from Tahou-land?
I BELIEVE

"IT'S A BOMBER" - motorhead

RedDragonFan

Quote from: maxpower on November 09, 2009, 08:25:38 PM
And you can beat every team but the one you're shat-talking... I won't expect you guys to get too comfortable in the stands Saterday, gotta beat the halftime cortland-fan traffic....
Thanks for the tip but I usually like to stay to the end even if Cortland is up 2-3 TD's so would never think of cutting out early. You are right though about being uncomfortable in the stands.  It's a great facility you all have over there.  Another thing to be proud of.

maxpower

Not every school can spring for the dual purpose football-kickball field...

theoriginalupstate

I hope this stuff get's better...

It's been pretty weak so far...

pg04

Quote from: Upstate on November 09, 2009, 08:42:07 PM

Yeah, I know.  Come on, bring something new than the standard Kickball and fans walking out early issues. 

RedDragonFan

Ithaca is certainly more into the arts so you think they'd be more "creative" shall we say?  Heard they also have a decent science department thats been doing some interesting experimentation around breeding.  They actually succeeded in breeding an Ithaca Bomber offensive lineman with a groundhog indigenous to the Ithaca area back in mid September.  The only thing they learned was that had 6 more weeks of crappy football ahead of them.

Bombers798891

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 09, 2009, 08:18:11 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 07:19:03 PM

Actually we did see Alliance last year and we love  the opportunity to square off with IC anytime, anywhere and the playoffs would have made for a great game.  The more important question though is why no clever quips in you last post?  Guess you "shat the bed" in the first round of your posts here and last year in the playoffs as well.  Well done.

I wasn't the one who made the "shat the bed" comments. Sorry if talking to more than one person is too much for you to handle.

Bombers798891

Quote from: RedDragonFan on November 09, 2009, 09:53:14 PM
Ithaca is certainly more into the arts so you think they'd be more "creative" shall we say?  Heard they also have a decent science department thats been doing some interesting experimentation around breeding.  They actually succeeded in breeding an Ithaca Bomber offensive lineman with a groundhog indigenous to the Ithaca area back in mid September.  The only thing they learned was that had 6 more weeks of crappy football ahead of them.

Yeah, that's an original joke...

union89

Quote from: pg04 on November 09, 2009, 08:47:48 PM
Quote from: Upstate on November 09, 2009, 08:42:07 PM

Yeah, I know.  Come on, bring something new than the standard Kickball and fans walking out early issues. 

Utah & Jose are getting old & soft.....

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 10:28:18 PM

You don't like generic football jokes where you can put in any teams name in?

What's next the joke about the kid who get's placed under the care of the Bombers because they can't beat anyone?

RedDragonFan

Quote from: Upstate on November 09, 2009, 10:37:19 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 09, 2009, 10:28:18 PM

You don't like generic football jokes where you can put in any teams name in?

What's next the joke about the kid who get's placed under the care of the Bombers because they can't beat anyone?

Didn't realize originality was a requirement on this board particularly as I seem to recall reading some kickball jokes in the past???  Got something to add to the party other than sitting back and critiquing?  Would welcome any originality but my guess is it will be a long wait.