MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescacfaninbos

Two more commits to Hamilton... Conner Rood from Austin , TX and Nkosi Cooper from Suffield Academy in CT..

https://twitter.com/rsa_athletics/status/1093308981236383744?s=21

https://twitter.com/thenkosicooper/status/1094075243482828800?s=21

amh63

So many well written recounts of games played on Friday.  I will try to add some more comments wrt the atmosphere of the Amh vs Williams game....in the last few minutes.
First...I was switching a bit between the WBB and the MBB games, especially in the first half and missed a lot of the Amherst's comeback in the early part of the 2nd half...a "confession".
LeFrak was almost void of Williams fans while Amherst had a large group for their team; many in support of Eck reaching her 1000 points level in this her junior year.
The Williams supporters in Willytown was large and loud in a game that also came down to the last 50 seconds, as the Ephs cut Amherst's double digit lead to a few points.  Williams and Amherst both called TO's to set defenses and prepare offenses.  It seemed to be a "duel" of coaches to me.  The game was won on the foul line as Amherst's Soph guards made their foul shots with the crowd calling out "air ball" and other comments. 
Both coaches made many lineup changes in a game that became at times very physical and with players going to the floor battling for the ball.  Casey on the foul line seemed to me a bit tired as he missed a few foul shots.  Amherst in better shape?
The announcers commented that it would be hard for Amherst to win three games over Williams in a future rematch.  Number of ref conferences on the floor wrt to who's possession after a call.

old_hooper

Amherst bench scores 30, Williams 2.  The bigger story is how that Amherst bench solidifies the defense.  Constant pressure on opponents with the depth.  Josh Chery when in game good things happen.  The Amherst bigs are playing terrific at the right time.  Sellew is playing as well as anyone in league.  Big Joe is playing very aggressive and Bachman incredibly efficient.  The guards played smart last night using clock with lead, something they did not do against Wes.

Williams had to work hard last night to score.  Starters logged a lot of minutes and it will be interesting to see how much energy they have today for Hamilton.  Heskett got hurt late in game and if he is not healthy today it will be a problem for the Ephs.

nescac1

Really tough end to the regular season for the Ephs.  Down a star they fought hard, and the role guys played well, but for the fourth time this year the other team, and not Williams, made the big plays in the last minute of a very close game.  Willians is certainly not anywhere close to where they want or expected to be as a team.  The Ephs will need to regroup in major way heading into the postseason as now they may need a win just to make the NCAA tourney.  Just a really tough last seven days for Williams. 

Gilmour was a monster on both ends for Hamilton today.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Anybody know the NESCAC tiebreakers?  If Amherst wins Tuesday they win the NESCAC; if Hamilton wins it's a three way tie with Amherst and Middlebury and all three teams are 1-1 against the others.

Who would've guessed Williams would've been locked in at #4?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 09, 2019, 05:00:52 PM

Anybody know the NESCAC tiebreakers?  If Amherst wins Tuesday they win the NESCAC; if Hamilton wins it's a three way tie with Amherst and Middlebury and all three teams are 1-1 against the others.

I figured it out.  If Midd/Amh/Ham tie at the top Middlebury will get the #1 seed by virtue of their win over Colby.  It's like the fifth tiebreaker down.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

nescacfaninbos

Watched the Hamilton-Williams game online, great college hoops... Williams played tough without one of their best players... yes, Gilmour was huge, but a lot of credit needs to go to Andrew Groll, had four fouls in first half and finished with four, even hit a huge three and played really solid defense throughout... credit to Stockwell as well, switched up to zone for a couple of key possessions late in the game that worked out well for Hamilton... should be a great game on Tuesday with Amherst and a fun tourney..

Conts Fan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 09, 2019, 05:00:52 PM

Are they even locked in at 4? If Hamilton loses and Tufts wins there are four teams at 6-4 in third place.

Old Guy

A shootout at Middlebury, and the Mammoths outshot the Panthers down the stretch. Fru Che and Grant Robinson were deadly with the game on the line. Midd had a 12 to 4 point lead throughout most of the second half and were up 93-92 with less than a minute to go, but Amherst won the last minute and that's what counted.

Big crowd, enormously entertained. Two thrilling games in two nights, sure glad we pulled an improbable win out last night against the Continentals, who showed their mettle in Williamstown today. They must be favored on Tuesday only because they're at home. I'll watch the game!

I didn't know much about Amherst — I knew their record and names but couldn't put the names to the bodies and their play. It's a good team, balanced and deep, with a nice combination of experience and youth. Sellew is a handful in the paint (19 points). A real force in today's game was senior big man CJ Bachman who had 14 points in just 10 minutes (!) against Middlebury's undermanned front court: Erik McCourt was saddled with foul trouble (22 minutes: fouled out); frosh Alex Sobel (6'7") had six blocks in 15 minutes (does he merit any consideration for ROY?).

Nice to see local boy Perry Delorenzo contribute mightily with a 4-4 from the floor (two 3s) — 10 point night in 10 minutes of play.

It was an exciting well-played game. Both teams shot well (Midd 54% from the floor, Amherst 48%; Midd 40% from three, Amherst 43%). It could be argued that Amherst dominance on the boards 40-29 and second chance points 26-11 was the difference.

Ubuntu

Was watching Colby Conn and Bowdoin Wesleyan.   Tale of two teams. 

Colby played poorly but gutted out against an inspiring effort by Conn.  Colby shot poorly (Dorion 0-6 from behind arc) but played buts off.  Colby wanted it, they just looked really tight.  It was a 1 possession game for most of the last 4 minutes.  Colby does better as the free-shooting underdog. 

Bowdoin rolled over, 90 points and allowing Wesleyan 54  percent from the floor in a must win!  Hate to be critical but... Wesleyan had two guys really just had there way against a low effort level.  Hutcherson and Bonner were pretty unbelievable.

Has Tufts clinched win or lose? I am assuming head to head is first tie breaker?

jayhawk

Was in Williamstown for Williams -Hamilton game. It must have been a challenge for the Williams players after a night where they fought back and made it a close game with one miniute to go and then losing Heskett to injury. On Saturday Williams honored its six seniors who were an excellent class. Without Heskett Williams playbed very aggressively and Casey was a force - though his outside shotting was not quite as good as night before
Hamilton's Gilmour is best all around player I have seen so far in NESCAC this year, has the complete game with jumpshot, passing, and defense
When he went out of the game with foul trouble Williams captured the lead. Grassley is also a solid offensive player.

Appreciate synopsis of Midd-Amherst game by others, Second chance points are a tough sled to win against. At Middlebury, Grant Robinson had one of his best games, willing to take the jumpshot and make it . Fur Che has been  both a solid offensive and defensive plaiyer and grabs a bunch of rebounds. Eric Sellew has played with greater confidence over the last several games which is evidenced by him becoming more aggressive on offense. All year long he has been close to around a consistent double double players. Amherst needs his offense. http://athletics.amherst.edu/landing/indexBachmann has some of the best footwork in the post I have seen in NESCAC, all of the old time dropstep moves that seem to have lost

Interesting week for pollsters, MIT, Wesleyan, Williams and Middlebury all ahead of Amherst in Northeast rankings lost this week

good game coming up Hamilton Amherst

amh63

Watched the game online in warmer climate, here in Winter Park, Florida.  Hosts and wife did their things as they know to leave me alone.  Games against Williams, Tufts, Midd and Wes online find me attentive.  When I get to watch them live with friends, I would use the term "entertained"...like Old Guy. 
The two recent away wins were indeed tense battles with back and forth lead changes...both going down to the last 50 seconds.  Both games played with young players starting and inserted.  Both games had seniors contributing big.  Lots of energy expended on the floor.   Is it possible that the deeper team contributes to the wins?
One more away game to go against another talented team....to end the regular season.  Both teams will be "rested".  Both teams should expect another battle.  Another game to watch alone.

Colby Hoops

Quote from: Ubuntu on February 10, 2019, 08:05:04 AM

Has Tufts clinched win or lose? I am assuming head to head is first tie breaker?

Tufts has clinched as they have the H2H over Bowdoin. IF Tufts beats Trinity there is a 3-way tie between Colby, Tufts and Trinity. I believe Colby wins that with the most wins against top 4 conference teams, but that may depend on Hamilton beating Amherst.

polbear73

A thirty point blowout loss to Wesleyan eliminated Bowdoin and ended what turned out to be a very disappointing and underachieving season.  Furthermore, the losses of O'Neill, Bors, and certainly Simonds will be hard to replace.  It's hard to be positive about the current and future status of this program. 

Cards Fan

Wesleyan, though unbelievably talented and very young, hits funks at  a variety of parts of games. It is not about their ability, it's about their composure. The reason the season has been so disappointing is because of the amount of stretches in which they lose all of their ability, and begin to play scared. You can't win basketball games down 26 at the half. You can't win down 20 with under 10 minutes. When Wesleyan went on their winning streak, it was presumed they would cruise to a top seed, having taken the 'hard part' on paper of their schedule on. But since, they have played terrible basketball, and may not even get a home playoff game. Wesleyan's chance of a pool C is, almost mathematically impossible, and will not happen even if they do get enough playoff wins to qualify. The team clearly has the talent to beat everyone in the league, exception of Williams who they cannot seem to figure out, and could take the tournament, but it would not appear likely unless Reilly can get them playing how they were just mere weeks ago.

It would appear that the NESCAC playoffs have no powerhouse teams. Looking down the list, all teams appear strong, as it goes with the NESCAC, but more than usual. Tufts and Trinity would be the only outliers, but both have beaten strong conference teams and no one is to be counted out!

Final bold prediction: Colby takes the NESCAC title.