FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

02 Warhawk

Quote from: voice on October 21, 2014, 07:38:29 PM
Here's a tweet early this evening from UWW cornerback Brady Grayvold:
Brady Grayvold ‏@brady__G  ยท 31m31 minutes ago 
Show up to practice today and @ESPN is there to shoot a feature for @CollegeGameDay Saturday. Talk about a crazy experience!

Looks like during Gameday Saturday morning they will be showing a segment on Whitewater.

voice

ESPN Cameras joined the UW-W QB Club last night at Saxes Lonestar. The 3 to 4 minute feature on the Warhawk football team and Coach Leipod's 100th win last Saturday is expected to run around 9:00 AM CDT on Saturday mornings ESPN Football GameDay on ESPN

voice

Oops! 02 just scooped me seconds prior to my post this morning. I bow to 02 and his posting proficiency.

emma17

Nice story there Bleed.  Ahhh, 2012. So many stories there. Btw- UWW did get back in that game.

Anyway, looking back at that year makes me think- It's kind of like losing actually helped the Hawks in the big picture ;D
Here, let me get it started:

What- that's blasphemy Emma - that could be the dumbest of all the dumb things you've said!
I suppose you don't want UWW to throw to Kumerow either?  Second dumbest thing ever.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words about the story.

I don't know if dumb is the right word. Definitely, not blasphemous.  Misguided, maybe?   Going into 2012, UW-W won National Championships in 4 of the previous 5 seasons. And you credit the 7-3 season of 2012 for where the Hawks are today?  Still not buying it.     I think we disagree on LL's ability to self-evaluate/staff-evaluate after a winning season. Let's say Behrendt engineered the comeback and the Hawks beat Oshkosh. I think most of us would agree that would have changed the entire season and there is a great possibility they beat Point. That puts UW-W in the playoffs. Brekke previously led the Hawks to a 5-0 playoff record with no previous starts. Let's say Behrendt did the same (except with a few starts). So now the Hawks have won 5 of the previous 6 Stagg Bowls heading into 2013. Still have Behrendt/Kumerow. Still have the 4 stud linebackers. Still have all the components that DID win the championship in 2013. Are you saying UW-W wouldn't have won the championship last year if they won it in 2012? Are you saying they would be in worse position to win it in 2014 if they had won it in 2012? How in the world would we be worse off today if we were entering into this weeks game having won 6 of the previous 7 Stagg Bowls?
[/quote]

To be more concise, what I said was "It's kind of like losing actually helped the Hawks in the big picture".  I stand by the idea that the entire 2012 season has helped the Hawks in the big picture.  Obviously they didn't need a 2012 type season to reach the pinnacle, as proved by previous championships.  However, is it possible the 2012 season helped them get back to all around championship performance and hopefully continue at their current level?  Quite possible.  Success isn't always easy or natural to handle.  Let's not forget the context of 2012- UWW came into the season with a chance to break the all time consecutive wins streak.   

As for your comment "I think we disagree on LL's ability to self-evaluate/staff-evaluate after a winning season", I'm not sure about that as I don't know that I've ever voiced my opinion on that specifically.  I think LL has done the most incredible job as HC in all aspects and wouldn't trade him for Bill Belichick.  That said, I think LL and the staff made mistakes in 2012 that cost the team, it just is.  Part of that absolutely had to do with certain evaluations.  I don't expect perfection and I have Zero problem accepting mistakes from LL or the staff.  I think lessons were learned and acknowledged, providing further proof of LL's excellence as a head coach.

Now, in terms of the rest of your hypothetical scenario.  I don't feel UWW had the talent to be national champions in 2012, even if Behrendt had pulled out the comeback vs. UWO.  The offense had too many holes. 

UWW won the championship in 2013 because they learned from 2012, made the changes necessary, had the talent, coached em up and USED the talent properly.

KitchenSink

What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

voice

Bleed... I just sent you a story on your personal email for your Warhawkfootball.com Website.  Voice

BoBo

If you want to know a simple reason for the Warhawks being so good - look at the two coaches and their career records - both in their 8th season, all at their current school. UW-O Pat Cerroni 50-29 LL 100-6.  So, in essence, WW has played nearly double the number of games, in the same period of time, as Oshkosh - or extending this further, nearly everyone else in the league. Don't think actually playing games, with the extra practice time doens't make a difference? Look no further as the reason for WW's success, IMO.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

BoBo

Who had the better game?

Punter 1: punted five times for an average of 46.2 yards per kick, landing three of them inside the 20-yard line in a win.

Punter 2: punter three times for an average of 53.3 with 2 of them inside the 20 including a long of 67 yards downed at the 6 yard line in a win.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
WHAT HAPPENS."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BoBo on October 23, 2014, 09:39:54 PM
If you want to know a simple reason for the Warhawks being so good - look at the two coaches and their career records - both in their 8th season, all at their current school. UW-O Pat Cerroni 50-29 LL 100-6.  So, in essence, WW has played nearly double the number of games, in the same period of time, as Oshkosh - or extending this further, nearly everyone else in the league. Don't think actually playing games, with the extra practice time doens't make a difference? Look no further as the reason for WW's success, IMO.

106 really isn't nearly double 79.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BoBo

^^ So, it isn't (excuse me for my declining math skills in my old age)...but it still is a helleva lot of games with associated practice time - 26 games is more than 2 1/2 seasons in the average teams schedule (remembering Osh had playoff games included) - to be spending together as a team doing direct team related activities.  Has to have a major impact on the championship teams remaining championship teams and the struggling teams remaining at that level. There are obvious other factors involved, too, but the number of games played is a biggy. But, I do find it strange that the good teams that consistently make long runs into the playoffs, haven't made it to the next level yet.

I am surprised you didn't have a comment about the punter question??? Was Lake Bachar not nominated???
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
WHAT HAPPENS."

02 Warhawk

Quote from: BoBo on October 24, 2014, 12:22:21 AM

I am surprised you didn't have a comment about the punter question??? Was Lake Bachar not nominated???

Looking at his stats on the season, he should be ranked in the top 5 for punting. However, he doesn't meet them minimum number of punts, so he's not on the list. I guess that's a good thing. Bachar does have a cannon for a leg.

As a team though, UWW is ranked #1 in Net Punting with over 40 yards per punt. How about this for a stat: Mount Union's opponents have exactly 0 punt return yards on the season, and they've punted only 9 times.

Pat Coleman

If you're referring to our Team of the Week, then no, he was not. Of the 244 punters in Division III (barring bye weeks and the occasional team that didn't punt), we had just two nominations. I definitely picked the best nominee.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just Bill

"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

voice

Associated Press published a lengthy feature today on Lance Leipold. Good read.
I wonder if D1 athletic directors are taking note. They are missing the boat if they are.
Obviously I hope Lance continues to call Warhawk football home. This week of nationwide media coverage after becoming the fastest coach to 100 wins in NCAA history with the win last Saturday in Eau Claire.

What a week of national media coverage.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/leipold-makes-history-division-iii-whitewater

bleedpurple

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 24, 2014, 08:51:09 AM

Looking at his stats on the season, he should be ranked in the top 5 for punting. However, he doesn't meet them minimum number of punts, so he's not on the list. I guess that's a good thing. Bachar does have a cannon for a leg.

As a team though, UWW is ranked #1 in Net Punting with over 40 yards per punt. How about this for a stat: Mount Union's opponents have exactly 0 punt return yards on the season, and they've punted only 9 times.

Sometimes, scrimmages have no live special team plays at all.  Do they turn on the scoreboard?  ;)