WBB: Northwest Conference

Started by swiss, March 07, 2005, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3wbbfan

Whitman defeats UW-Whitewater fairly handily tonight, 85-70, in the second semi-final in Stevens Point, WI, and will meet FDU-Florham in Saturday's DIII championship game.

The Missionaries, who improve to 31-1, had four in double figures, led by a career-high 33 from the West region's player-of-the-year, JR Heather Johns. SR Sarah Anderegg added 21, including 11-14 at the FT line. SR Meghan White posted a double-double, with 10 points and 12 rebounds, while SO Hailey Ann Maeda tallied 10 off the bench. Whitman shot just shy of 50% from the field (30-61).

The Warhawks got 51 of their 70 points from just two players: SR F Amy Mandrell (31), and SR G Mary Merg (20). Whitewater connected on just 33% of the FG attempts (25-75), while going 6-22 from deep. Whitman took far fewer from long range, but made 4 of their 7 attempts. Whitman also won the battle of the boards, 48-38.

Whitman trailed early, until an 11-0 run turned a 20-16 deficit into a 27-20 lead, with 5:42 remaining in the half. They led 41-30 at halftime, and the Warhawks could get no closer than 7 the rest of the way. This has been the same general formula that Whitman has been winning with all season - a mid-first-half surge, and then maintain a working margin of between 7 and 15 points the rest of the way. Those seeing Whitman for the first time tonight saw the usual, stellar Missionaries team effort, that finished NWC play at a perfect 16-0. 

mkt

Yes, a good strong victory for the Missionaries.   Although Anderegg and especially Johns excelled, one almost expects that from them.  What was especially good to see was Meghan White continue to excel while playing against the toughest competition.  I didn't really appreciate her until this season.  UWW had two players who were unstoppable and pretty much matched Anderegg's and Johns' production.  But White outplayed Ruchti, so that swayed the balance of big players in Whitman's favor, as well as the balance of the game.  That, and continued good defense especially on Thill. 

I'm looking forward to the championship game.  We don't know that Whitman will win the game, but we certainly know that they can win the game.

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Whitman on the outstanding season. I was hoping for another Champion from the "West".

d3wbbfan

Congrats to FDU-Florham on finishing up a remarkable, undefeated season by defeating Whitman in the national championship game tonight, 80-72. And congrats as well to the Missionaries' players, coaches and staff for an amazing season. I want to thank the student-athletes for providing me personally with a WBB campaign I'll never forget, and for representing the NWC with much class, and a very high level of skill. I'm just sorry they couldn't bring home the big trophy tonight to Walla Walla. For the school, the fans, and all the other fine schools in this great conference. What a ride! I'm comforted to know that their main goal was to exceed last year's run, and reach the Final Four. So they did reach their primary season goal, and did themselves one better, with the Friday win over Whitewater. Talk to you again come November, my NWC friends!

mkt

A good game, the offensive rebounding of the Devils was just too much. 

Even during the first half one could see signs of trouble:  Whitman was shooting a considerably higher FG percentage (and continued to do so throughout the game) and the announcers noted that despite that, and despite the rebounding seeming to be about even, FDU-Florham was keeping very close to Whitman.  The announcers were good but this was the one area where they perhaps didn't have time to notice that even though the total rebounding was close (and even at the end was not that disparate), the Devils were grabbing considerably more offensive rebounds than the Missionaries were.  They ended the game with a 19-10 offensive rebounding edge; they grabbed 45% of available offensive rebounds vs 33% for Whitman.  That was a big overall rebounding advantage for the Devils; you can afford to miss a lot of shots if you continually grab your own misses and they kept doing that. 

Whitman's normally a good rebounding team; they even had a bit of a height advantage over FDU-Florham but the Devils were relentless on the boards.  Whitman has athleticism and plays hard too, but I'd say that the Devils were simply tougher on the boards and that was the biggest difference. 

Other important but more minor factors were Whitman's many turnovers compared to few by the Devils, 16-9, and mediocre free throw shooting by the Missionaries, 64% compared to the Devils' 77%.

Whitman had the edge in most other areas of the game (better shooting, better shooting defense, more blocked shots, even more assists) but that was not enough to overcome the crucial Devils' advantages in those important areas.  The teams looked closely matched but FDU-Florham looked just a bit better; both teams looked like they were playing pretty much at the top of their games (McDonald was rather nightmarishly bad offensively, 0-6 from the field, 2-4 from the line, and 2 turnovers, but Whitman doesn't rely upon her for offense and she was a demon (if you'll excuse the term) defensively, as were most all of the Missionaries as usual).  FDU-Florhman would have to play badly, or Whitman would have to play really well, for Whitman to win.  Both teams looked like they played well, and that meant advantage FDU-Florhman.

But it's no disgrace to be the second best team in the country.  FDU-Florham looks like a deserved and worthy champion, but Whitman confirmed that the NWC has some seriously good teams.

BruinFan

Congrats to FDU-Florham. They were the better team on Saturday.
Whitman did a great job representing themselves and the Northwest Conference.

mkt

The pre-season Top 25 is up.

Whitman #7, which seems about right.  I was a bit surprised to see Whitworth at #24 and George Fox unranked (arguably about #42 if we extrapolate); Whitwoth lost three starters including the players who were their leading and third-best scorers and rebounders.  George Fox last season seemed to be methodically rebuilding with a lot of young players on their roster.  Oh well, we will see and it's good to see the NWC get some deserved respect, in terms of pre-season rankings.  I anticipate another season of good basketball in the conference.

d3wbbfan

mkt, I do think Fox will again be a strong contender. Benner was one of my very favorite players to watch in the NWC last season; to me, she's their best. I also think Blizzard will really step up. Roos got married, and is now Jami Morris. I also liked Codling's '13-'14 contributions, and Heckendorf is trustworthy, solid, and has logged many important minutes for Coach Meek. FYI, Jordyn Peacock transferred to NAIA school Concordia (OR), so although a 6'2" FR has come in, Fox's overall size isn't quite as daunting as last year.

One of your frosh, Rachel Martin, had an article written for her back in Feb '14, titled "Lady Owls Sign 'Athlete Of The Year'". Well, it was apparently a "premature" sign/announce for Oregon Tech, as she's magically now a Bruin. Ah, the trials and tribulations of DIII! :)  Besides, at this level you usually can't tell about FYs until their first year is in the books, as Pat Coleman so correctly reminds us of.

With that said, Whitman's hoping their last two huge seasons paid off on the recruiting trail, with seven newbies in tow. Led by F/C Emily Rommel, Coach Ferenz also brought in 5"10" Casey Poe, who can play 1, 2 or 3, lefty sharpshooting G Eve Goldman, tweener Chanel Knight, F Sierra McGarity and 6"2" C Kendra Winchester. Losing Anderegg, Traver and White will certainly hurt with overall point production, poise and intensity, but thankfully Heather Johns is back to navigate the surely much choppier Missionary execution waters in the early going. The bright side? There are minutes available, so we'll see if role players like Maeda, Ketner, McDonald and Brewer, as well as Heather Lovelace (lost to an ACL last year) can stave off the challenges of some talented freshmen hungry for some early PT. 

Finally, mkt, I do see your point about Whitworth. Losing Johnson and Lahue should really hurt them. But their interchangeable PG tandem (Zappone/Knutsen) do both return, as does #2 scorer KC McConnell and underrated, clutch SR Katara Belton-Sharp. However, I do think that this will be the year we can determine if the Bucs' absolutely suffocating team D of the past two years was simply the perfect match of Pirate personnel and Coach Higgs' schemes, or if she's now got a system in place where all she needs to do is to plug in new kids to execute their roles within it. My guess is it's the latter. I think Helen's an outstanding coach.

Can't wait for this weekend. I wish both good luck and no injuries to all NWC (and DIII, for that matter) WCBB teams in '14-15!

mkt

Thanks for the updates, most of which I didn't know about.  Perhaps the most surprising one is Jami Roos getting married; IIRC last season you pointed out that a couple of Whitman's guards were married.  Despite working on college campuses for decades, I don't think I've encountered a student age 22 or less who was married.  But there've been at least three on NWC squads last season and this season.

d3wbbfan

Well, it took the Whitman Missionaries less than 24 hours to equal the number of losses the team had for the entirety of last season: Two. They went 0-2, and finished last in their '14-'15 season opening tourney out in Wilmington (OH).

First, the opener. Geneseo State (NY), out of the SUNYAC, has just missed the NCAAs the past two seasons, and have everybody back, for one last try at the postseason. All I have is a box score. Geneseo wins 64-52. The Whitman WBB web page's post game article says a Ketner hoop tied the game was at 47-all, with 6:31 left. From then until the 4-minute mark, the only five points came from Geneseo, via a jumper and a trey from the Knights' Shannon McGinnis. It was Geneseo's last FG of the game. Coach Ferenz then chose to start fouling each trip, and the Knights shot 12-16 down the stretch, to secure the victory. The Missionaries scored 21 FG for the game, and 8-22 from 3, to just 17 FG for Geneseo, who went 7-20 from deep. But the charity stripe disparity was huge, and was the clear difference: Geneseo 23-34; Whitman just 2 of 4. Ketner led Whitman with 10; Brewer and Johns 9; Lovelace 6.   

Ferenz opted for an all-returning players starting lineup: Johns, Macdonald, Maeda, Heather Lovelace and Hallie Buse. The choice of Buse, a popular senior and co-captain, surprised me most. She came in as a 5'10" FY as a with a rep as a great 3-pt shooter, but has seen the decent minutes she saw as a frosh further dwindle over the past 2 seasons, as her shots rarely, if ever, seemed to fall during the actual games. She is also clearly a small forward, with no guard skills, to team upfront with Maeda at the 4 spot and Lovelace in the post. 5'8" Hailie Macdonald was the 5th starter last year. Ferenz had the luxury of starting a player like MacDonald last season. Lightning quick, and a top defender, but that's about it. She possesses neither ballhandling skills nor scoring ability. She played as a "free safety"/undersized wing last year, with Traver still around at 2G, but now, having Macdonald as the only backcourt help for Johns is clearly not the way to go. Ferenz is understandably reluctant to overburden Johns with full-time PG duties this year, as Whitman's obvious #1 scoring option. Short term, Ketner *must* start at shooting guard, next to Johns. Immediately. It is a no-brainer. Replace Macdonald. And return Buse to her '13-'14 role.

Whitman's frontcourt defense has also taken a *major* step back in '14-'15. White and Anderegg were active and crafty veterans. Maeda has had pre-season injuries, and didn't play as well as usual this weekend. But Maeda has a solid track record, based on last season. Lovelace, coming off of an ACL, played a lot two years ago, but is quite rusty. She's also not very physical. A finesse player. That's always limited her effectiveness. Whitman was 100 more vulnerable to teams attacking the rim this weekend, than they were all of last year. And that's not easily fixable. Now don't get me wrong - Geneseo is a good team. But the SUNYAC is a one-bid league for the NCAAs. Honestly, Whitman's loss Saturday was more about the Missionaries not playing well that it was about the Knights. 

I had the chance to watch much of the consolation game today, vs Eastern Mennonite (VA), out of the ODAC. They were an NCAA team last year. They got the early jump on Whitman, leading by double digits at the half. Honestly, I expected the Royals to be a much better team than I witnessed. They lost by 19 Sat. to event host Wilmington, who was a .500 team last year, and was picked near the bottom of their league this year. Sunday's Eastern Mennonite game should've been a victory for Whitman, despite the problems they are having. They somehow rallied from 15 down late, mostly due to numerous Eastern Mennonite turnovers, missed FTs and mental errors. With EM up by just 3 with less than a minute to go, Whitman presses. The EM inbounder runs the floor (she was allowed to), but then decides to bounce the ball once, out of bounds, before passing it in. Turnover. Whitman ball. Ketner then connects for 3 with 19 seconds left. Tie game. Then another EM turnover. Around :10 secs left. Johns is triple-teamed, but valiantly still tries to somehow get off a shot, and was correctly called for the charge. OT. In the OT (for which, somehow, Ferenz had *Johns* jumping center!!!!!) EM SR Maria zumFelde makes 2 clutch 3-balls, gets fouled on another, while the Missionaries continued to appear hapless at both ends of the floor. Neither team displayed much skill, poise or discipline in the OT, but the Royals had a SR role player step up in the extra stanza, and Eastern Mennonite beats Whitman in OT, 76-73. As bad as Whitman played Sunday, they were almost handed a gift win that they didn't deserve. And I obviously still wanted to get. Loss #2 was clearly another self-inflicted wound. Ferenz started the same five as in the opener. Johns scored 22, Ketner 19 (again, inexplicably, coming off the bench; she's clearly Whitman's second best player. And she's a solid ball handler. Ferenz doesn't like her defense. I get it. It could be better. But it's not awful, and it's not for a lack of effort. For those of us who watched Alysse play all of last year, her solid results are no surprise at all.) Again, Brewer adds 7 off the bench (it's clear she worked hard on her 3-ball this summer, hoping to fill her sister's (Tiffani Traver) void as top-long-range-threat this year. While the other 4 starters totaled just 17 points - in a whopping 92 total minutes. Ferenz also gave 5'11" SR Katie Gray 18 minutes PT Saturday and 20 more minutes on Sunday. I expected closer to 5 minutes total for Gray per game.

I want to make clear that I have nothing but the utmost respect and warmest personal feelings for each and every player on the Whitman WBB roster. And I understand that it requires a huge personal commitment, of both time and energy, that goes into being a college athlete - especially at the DIII level, where the academic demands can be so grueling. The main reason I love the DIII level the most is that every athlete always looks like they are giving it everything they possibly have, every second of every game. So I understand the deep, sincere gratitude that all coaches have for players who've made that major commitment to their team. I feel it for them, too. And that their coaches would want to show respect for these veteran players' efforts by giving them "first crack" to grab the many new, available minutes that graduating 3 starters creates. In a way, it's only fair, and it's done for all the right reasons. 

My only point here is that WCBB is a high-profile NCAA varsity sport. Whether it's DI, II or III, it's not a pick-up league. All the games count. Whitman is the defending national runners-up. That's high cotton! The Whitman WBB program has never been so respected, or so high profile. It would be nice for the school, the NWC, and all its supporters to put its best foot forward. To try its best to sustain this excellence. And to show that the past two seasons were not a fluke. And, despite our heavy graduation losses, our very best player (Johns), is returning. And that's a great place to start. 

All veteran DIII observers know that major contributions made by first-year players are much rarer than they are in the scholarship divisions. It's always wise to take a wait-and-see attitude, as to newcomers and their impact. The quickness of the college game often shocks the DIII FR. Still, I thought Coach Ferenz did a great job of capitalizing on her club's recent successes on the recruiting trail. I thought for sure that at least 3, and as many as 5 of her FR might make some sort of early contribution. There is surely a FY player injury or two I'm not aware of, as I was stunned that sharpshooting lefty 2-guard Eve Goldman was DNP all weekend, especially with them needing late 3-pt production in both games. To me, shooting guard is the easiest position to transition, from HS to college. So she must be hurt. I also don't know if I saw FYs Sierra McGarity or Chanel Knight anywhere on the Whitman bench. They could've been; just not sure. I saw that the 6'2" girl (Winchester) did get in briefly in both contests.

FYs Emily Rommel and Casey Poe both did play. Rommel by far the most. And while you could absolutely see them both struggle with things like picking up quick fouls, and where exactly they needed to be at times, I really liked what I saw, out of both of them. Poe is 5'10", who's always been a PG. Great handle. Great vision. Wonderful passer. She is long, lean and athletic, and I could already see that she has a super understanding of the game. Same for Rommel. At around 6'0", she doesn't have *nearly* the mega-hops Meghan White had as a 5'10" post last year, but Rommel can easily slot in at 3, 4 or 5, has a nice shooting touch, and is a gifted, natural athlete who looked comfortable out there to me right away. Unusually so. To Coach Ferenz' credit, Rommel did get good minutes this weekend. Most importantly, I thought she did a commendable job of defending down low. Whereas it looked to me like Gray was lost, on both O and D, on numerous occasions. (And I'm not counting the time when her "scrunchie" broke, and her long hair was flying around everywhere)  :)  Now Katie, who's a SR, should surely know the Whitman system by now. So I say if there's gonna be confusion and/or ineffective play out there by your veterans, then what are you gaining by playing them? I've found most DIII athletes to be smart, good listeners and quick learners. So to me, if a veteran isn't using their experience to effective advantage out on the floor, then it's in the best interests of the team to give the newbies their chance.

I just thought my fellow NWC'ers would be interested in my early take at the preseason conference #1. I haven't seen anyone else yet, but Whitman definitely has a ton of work to do. They looked to be a million miles from a good basketball team this weekend. But it's only the start of things. It's certainly gonna be a very quiet plane ride back from Ohio to Walla Walla, WA. Going from #2 in the entire nation in March, to being #4 in the 4-team Wilmington Classic in November, feels like a bungee cord had to somehow be involved! And as a diehard Missionary fan, who's had many thrills with them these last two seasons, I remain on-board, very grateful and optimistic.  It's just that this club should've returned home no worse than 1-1. The box scores say that both Geneseo State and Eastern Mennonite beat Whitman this weekend. But the truth is that no one else but Whitman beat Whitman this weekend. If there's one thing I do know for sure, it's that Michelle Ferenz knows what the heck she's doing. (And congrats to her daughter Mikayla, who signed her LOI scholarship offer this week to play for the DI Vandals of Idaho next season.) If Michelle felt the right thing to do was to give her veterans the first shot at more PT, more power to her. She's around her team every day. But what I took from it is that we need Johns, Ketner, Maeda and Rommel starting. I can still see giving Lovelace her minutes - ACL recovery always involves rust. Install Brewer as the 6th man, increase her minutes, and give Poe 15-18 minutes as PG off the bench. To me, that's the top 7. It may appear counter-intuitive to some to cut way back on the PT of one of just two remaining starters. But big minutes for Hailie Macdonald is a luxury this year's team *absolutely* cannot afford. Besides, her and Maeda are the team's two worst FT shooters. Having both start now accentuates that flaw. But Maeda is a solid rebounder and scorer, and more than earns her keep, so you live with her bad FT%. Macdonald gives you only one thing: defense. And I say this as a "defense first" guy myself. Spot her minutes. To shut down a hot shooter. Or to press full court. The sad truth is that she's not active enough anywhere on the scoresheet, to justify the huge minutes she gets. And if Macdonald's HS teammate (Goldman) is healthy, give her some minutes. Same for Knight and McGarity. Let's see what they've got. We're losing Johns after this year. So if/when it becomes clear it's a possible transition year for the Missionaries (which I'm not at all saying yet), and it's gonna be the Ketner/Brewer/Rommel/Poe show next year, why not give them a head start? 

d3wbbfan

Thanks to the NWC's Stretch Internet site, I was able to watch some of George Fox's and Whitworth's early game action. The Bruin games didn't seem to be offered live, but I glimpsed some game action on demand. I liked what I saw. Meek has clearly revamped the offense. Much less post oriented; more perimeter. Quicker ball movement. Watching the young ladies, there's a noticeably higher energy level. The fun level seemed to be up, which I always like to see from any team. Last season, I noticed that Coach Meek wasn't overly active/vocal during games. Not a good or a bad thing - just an observation. But this past weekend, he was *extremely* vocal. Especially while his team was on offense, during play, no doubt ensuring they're properly executing his new system. Man, George Fox has a *lot* of talented players. And the entire primary rotation were veterans. Although some only saw limited minutes last year, these Bruins are both plenty talented, and plenty ready to produce now (*very* unlike Whitman's bench upperclassmen looked out in Ohio.) Good luck to George Fox this weekend, as they head out to Wisconsin. I'll be rooting for you guys. Whitwater lost 8 seniors from last year's FF team, and lost to Elmhurst earlier this week. Still, it's never easy playing out there. I'll try to catch some of the live action online.

Whitworth easily handled Rutgers-Newark last night at home (Whitman will get their chance at Rutgers-Newark Sat., in their home opener), after coming back to knock off Eastern Oregon in their season opener last weekend in Spokane. As an NAIA club, EO was already 4-0 going in. Whitworth lost starters Johnson, Lahue and Lyons. But the Bucs appeared not to have missed a beat. Still playing great team D, and still making all their FTs. Their offense isn't firing on all cylinders yet, but it will be soon. Belton-Sharp, now a starter, is out of the gate especially strong for the Pirates.

I haven't had the chance to see Puget Sound yet, but it looks to me like George Fox and Whitworth are both back strong, playing well early, and are on pace for a return trip to the NCAAs, come March.

BruinFan

Quote from: d3wbbfan on November 21, 2014, 06:26:32 PM
Thanks to the NWC's Stretch Internet site, I was able to watch some of George Fox's and Whitworth's early game action. The Bruin games didn't seem to be offered live, but I glimpsed some game action on demand. I noticed that Coach Meek wasn't overly active/vocal during games. Not a good or a bad thing - just an observation. But this past weekend, he was *extremely* vocal. Especially while his team was on offense, during play, no doubt ensuring they're properly executing his new system. .

You are able to pick-up how vocal a coach is from online streaming?  I must not be paying close enough attention.
Bruins are very much in charge in the 2nd half against Whitewater right now - looking good. Coach Meek is using a lot of players. This is a good time of year to see what combinations and situations work best for what he wants to do.

d3wbbfan

Granted, Bruin Fan, being able to hear a coach online is rare. It just happened that there was a very sparse home crowd in Newberg when I was watching them play Trinity (TX). You could practically hear a pin drop that game! And, while the camera panned, Meek was standing most of the time when I watching (unusual for him). I also know that un-mistakeable "game coach-speak" when I hear it (years of WCBB experience, trust me - I'm old!)   :)

Another wonderful effort by the Bruins tonight. Yeah, Milwaukee was technically a "neutral site" game vs Whitewater, but it's still in Wisconsin! I didn't really recognize any names of the Whitewater players tonight, as ones who Whitman defeated in their FF semi. But with Mary Merg there or not, they're still a powerhouse DIII program. Your team's defensive intensity has really picked up this season. Both perimeter and interior. Good elevation, rebounding, foot positioning and shot blocking. Benner has now added more back to the basket moves to her offensive arsenal. (I love it when players *truly* get better. Coaches and players always talk that talk, but actual, up-a-full-skill-level improvement is much rarer than you'd think.) Were I trying to guard Justine next game, I would tell my players she's "all right hand" at the moment. Here's hoping she can develop her off-hand a bit. At least enough where opponents can't totally overplay her right hand on D. Codling continues to impress me big-time. She's playing at a 1st team all-NWC level. Poised. Clutch. Great decision-making. Never plays too fast. Blizzard had both foul trouble and no points today, but she's solid as a rock at PG. And Meek can slide in either Morris or Dummer (also a nice '14-'15 surprise for Fox, to my eyes) if needed. I also really like what Kennedy Hobert gives Fox. She looks and plays bigger than her listed 5'10" to me. She's playing like a 6'1" player. Credit also goes to Sammy Naluai. She's a quick, active defender who creates chaos for opponents. But what I give Meek the most credit for is reducing Heckendorf's minutes so far. It's not like she's not a good player anymore. It just looks like Dacia's minutes have been claimed by players who are just a little better than her this year. Fair and square. She's smart enough to know that she'll still play, and still help them win. Because sometimes, Meek will need a heady senior out there on the floor. And she'll be ready.

Great job representing the NWC, Bruin Fan! I'm sure UW-Whitewater has had their fill of NWC teams lately!!!! I couldn't be happier for you. Last season, in the NCAA Sweet 16 and beyond, I felt all the Bruin, Pirate and Pio fans all pulling for fellow NWC team Whitman to go far. Well, we went to the very last day. And should another NWC do the same this year, I'll return the favor, and be behind you guys every bit as much. I didn't expect Fox to be so clearly better this year. But you are. And that's not easy. But I know a great team when I see one. And I never called the Bruins great once last year. It is early. And I am not putting the cart before the horse. There remains much work to be done. To date, all credit goes to the players, and to Coach Meek. The one thing Whitman *had* to have last season was no injuries to Johns, Anderegg, White or Traver. Lose even one - no FF. The Missionaries lucked out. The '14-15 Bruins have far more depth than Whitman did last year. Still, you need Benner, Codling and Morris to stay healthy. After Munger, you guys deserve no more key injuries. From now until forever!

Captain_Joe08

George Fox trails Wisconsin Lutheran 29-22 at halftime. WLC pushed #9 DePauw to the brink last night losing 69-68.
Once a Warrior always a Warrior.
WLC Men's Tennis (2014 NACC Tournament Champs)
2014 MIAA Football Pick 'Em Champ
2014 WIAC Football Pick 'Em Regular Season Co-Champ
2014 National Confidence Playoff Champion
Milwaukee Brewers: 2018 NL Central Champions

NWCSportsFan

George Fox comes from 13 down to beat Wisconsin Lutheran 65 to 58.