D3 vs. NAIA

Started by Ralph Turner, August 28, 2005, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AF4

Huntingdon will play faulkner (NAIA Southern conf) this sat night at the Cramton Bowl in Montgomery, Al in the Capital City Show Down

Faulkner was over matched by Samford  (D-1FCS SoCon) last sat night (losing 66-0) .....but they r big

they probably out weigh Huntingdon ~35-45lbs across the line...and that is a conservative estimate

we shall see how it lays out

keep the faith
"Have laparoscope, Will travel"

K-Mack

This week's slate (halfway updated)

vs. NAIA (5-2 in Week 1)
at No. 4 Mary Hardin-Baylor 30, No. 22 Southern Nazarene 7 (Fri.)
No. 13 Virginia-Wise 42, at Newport News 0
at No. 11 St. Ambrose 34, UW-Platteville 17
at UW-Stout 37, No. 14 Jamestown 13
Iowa Wesleyan at UW-Stevens Point
at Concordia-Moorhead 38, Dickinson State 13
at Bethany 34, Kentucky Christian 19
at Ferrum 34, Southern Virginia 7
Shorter 28, at LaGrange 23
Mayville State at Wisconsin Lutheran
at Howard Payne 20, Texas College 13
at Cumberland (Ky.) 49, Mississippi College 28
Huntingdon at Faulkner
Millsaps at Belhaven
Dakota State at Minnesota-Morris
Southwestern Assemblies of God at Sul Ross State

NAIA rankings come from Victory Sports Network's Sept. 8 poll.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

AF4

Huntingdon beat Faulkner 21 - 7

was not that close..though... Faulkner had lots of speed... they are better than last yr

keep the faith
"Have laparoscope, Will travel"

Major Rev

Millsaps beats Belhaven 34-14 in the Riverside Rumble!

Ralph Turner

SRSU beat SAGU 30-14.

Dakota State beat MN-Morris 40-24.

Mayville 9 Wisconsin Lutheran 7.

UWSP 45, Iowa Wesleyan 7.

I count that as D-III 8 wins, NAIA 6 wins.

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 14, 2008, 08:09:23 AMI count that as D-III 8 wins, NAIA 6 wins.

That's odd since I counted 16 games.

Let's recap:

vs. NAIA (5-2 in Week 1)
at No. 4 Mary Hardin-Baylor 30, No. 22 Southern Nazarene 7 (Fri.)
No. 13 Virginia-Wise 42, at Newport News 0
at No. 11 St. Ambrose 34, UW-Platteville 17
at UW-Stout 37, No. 14 Jamestown 13
at UW-Stevens Point 45, Iowa Wesleyan 7
at Concordia-Moorhead 38, Dickinson State 13
at Bethany 34, Kentucky Christian 19
at Ferrum 34, Southern Virginia 7
Shorter 28, at LaGrange 23
Mayville State 9, at Wisconsin Lutheran 7
at Howard Payne 20, Texas College 13
at Cumberland (Ky.) 49, Mississippi College 28
Huntingdon 21, at Faulkner 7
Millsaps 34, at Belhaven 14
Dakota State 40, at Minnesota-Morris 24
at Sul Ross State 30, Southwestern Assemblies of God 14

That's 10-6 in favor of D3 by my count.

10-6 in Week 2, 15-8 on the season.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on September 14, 2008, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 14, 2008, 08:09:23 AMI count that as D-III 8 wins, NAIA 6 wins.

That's odd since I counted 16 games.

Let's recap:

That's 10-6 in favor of D3 by my count.

10-6 in Week 2, 15-8 on the season.
Just like the signature line says,

"Mount Union of the message board"

:D  ;)

Foss

Wow, UW-Oshkosh - a team not really anywhere on the D3 radar - defeats NAIA's #2 Ohio Dominican at their house. This snaps Ohio Dominican's 16 game regular season win streak. Apparently it would have been 17 straight but an illegal participation penalty at the end of the game gave Oshkosh a second chance at the game winning field goal. This would be similar to if UW-Whitewater or Mary Hardin-Baylor lost to a seldom heard of NAIA school.
A packed student section behind an end zone cheering on guys they will actually see in class on Monday is almost as cool as The Streak.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Foss on September 20, 2008, 09:48:27 PM
Wow, UW-Oshkosh - a team not really anywhere on the D3 radar - defeats NAIA's #2 Ohio Dominican at their house. This snaps Ohio Dominican's 16 game regular season win streak. Apparently it would have been 17 straight but an illegal participation penalty at the end of the game gave Oshkosh a second chance at the game winning field goal. This would be similar to if UW-Whitewater or Mary Hardin-Baylor lost to a seldom heard of NAIA school.
In its season opener last week, UMHB beat Southern Nazarene, which had played its third game.

K-Mack

Quote from: Foss on September 20, 2008, 09:48:27 PM
This would be similar to if UW-Whitewater or Mary Hardin-Baylor lost to a seldom heard of NAIA school.

If you believed NAIA and D3 were similar levels, yeah I guess it would.

We've often maintained that it's so hard to compare Division III as a whole, an entity that contains both the WIAC and the UMAC and a lot in between, to the NAIA, which is less than half D3's size as well as the former home to some top D3 programs.

I'm not sure it does any good to argue about who's better so I avoid it. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 20, 2008, 09:58:52 PM
In its season opener last week, UMHB beat Southern Nazarene, which had played its third game.

Perhaps made all the more impressive to me today after watching Salisbury, in its third game, tackle a lot better and run its offense a lot more crisply than Christopher Newport, who is plenty talented but was playing its first game.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

4-2 in Week 3, 19-10 in 2008

UW-Oshkosh 17, at No. 2 Ohio Dominican 16
at Bacone 13, Howard Payne 6
MacMurray 42, at Haskell Indian Nations 26
at Asuza Pacific 13, UW-La Crosse 10
at Washington and Lee 35, Southern Virginia 28
at Willamette 31, Southern Oregon 23
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Foss

Quote from: K-Mack on September 21, 2008, 01:51:08 AM
I'm not sure it does any good to argue about who's better so I avoid it. Let the numbers speak for themselves.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that.
A packed student section behind an end zone cheering on guys they will actually see in class on Monday is almost as cool as The Streak.

K-Mack

Week 4
at UW-SP 10, Azusa Pacific 9
at Linfield 14, Southern Oregon 7
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Week 5 ... only non-division game vs. any classification (almost an ideal week!)

at? Guilford 47, Southern Va. 31
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Week 6 results:
Frostburg State 21, at Southern Virginia 13
Luther 31, at Waldorf 0
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take