D3 Women's Soccer 2018 Season

Started by PlaySimple, September 30, 2018, 10:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlaySimple

Quote from: Knowenough2bdangerous on November 05, 2018, 08:35:56 AM
Why did MSOE have to forfeit?

MSOE had to forfeit the final 3 games for using an ineligible player. The player in question was not a full-time student.

Statement from Brian Miller, Director of Athletics:

"Our women's soccer team fielded a player that was not a full-time student for the final three games of the season, including its two NACC Tournament matches. Since the information was brought to light, we have worked with the NACC office to rectify the situation which, unfortunately, involves the forfeiture of matches and the conclusion of the season.

"While we take full responsibility for this incident as a department, I would like to commend head coach Rolf Zersen for his swift actions when the circumstances came to light. He approached a difficult decision with the ethical certainty that makes him such an effective role model for our student-athletes. I would also like to share my admiration for our women's soccer team, which handled the news and fallout with dignity and grace."

http://www.go-raiders.com/sports/wsoc/2018-19/releases/20181101o54rg1

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

2xfaux

Williams seems to have the easiest path to Greensboro.  A bit of a gift to an at large team but they are the defending champs.  Wash U. has a tougher road but I expect they will be there.  The Midd. and Messiah pods seem much tougher.  I wouldn't be surprised to see CNU  and Hopkins (did they really lose 1-5 to Swat) show up as well.  It should be interesting.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 06, 2018, 06:12:54 PM
Williams seems to have the easiest path to Greensboro.  A bit of a gift to an at large team but they are the defending champs.  Wash U. has a tougher road but I expect they will be there.  The Midd. and Messiah pods seem much tougher.  I wouldn't be surprised to see CNU  and Hopkins (did they really lose 1-5 to Swat) show up as well.  It should be interesting.

Well, Williams doesn't have an easier path because they are defending champs. That isn't how it works.

Geography and such has more of an affect. Sometimes it is impossible to keep good teams from running into each other while the committee has more options in places like the Northeast where there are more teams and options in a tighter area.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

JimLahey

Quote from: 2xfaux on October 26, 2018, 02:30:10 PM
Amazing weekend for the UAA and then Wash U plays Chicago next weekend.  It is hard to imagine that there won't be at least two UAA teams in Greensboro.

Agree 100% but totally surprised CWRU didn't make the tournament. They can compete with the best. Their dynasty had to end at some point.

blue_jays

Quote from: JimLahey on November 07, 2018, 03:12:59 PM
Quote from: 2xfaux on October 26, 2018, 02:30:10 PM
Amazing weekend for the UAA and then Wash U plays Chicago next weekend.  It is hard to imagine that there won't be at least two UAA teams in Greensboro.

Agree 100% but totally surprised CWRU didn't make the tournament. They can compete with the best. Their dynasty had to end at some point.

I'm assuming you mean Carnegie Mellon? Case hasn't had a winning season since 2014. If there's been a UAA dynasty, it's definitely WashU whose dominated in recent years.

WUPHF

I have only seen them play once this season, but Carnegie Mellon looked so much better than a .500 team.

Caz Bombers

upset of the 1st Round had to be Grove City over Chicago. Bad day for the UAA going 2-4 with the only wins being Wash U thrashing overmatched local opponent Westminster and Emory needing a golden goal to beat Penn State Berks of the lowly NEAC.

WUPHF

Wow, Chicago had a 29-6 advantage on shots, a 14-4 advantage on shots on goal, a 2-13 advantage on saves and a 11-0 advantage on corner kicks.  Hearbreaking for sure.

2xfaux

Certainly a tough weekend for the UAA with only Wash U making it through.  The Chicago game is hard to figure but I think the "heartbreak/gut punch" of the weekend has to go to Hopkins, losing to Les Mis with 67 seconds left in regulation.  Great job by Les Mis but ...ouch. 

Bartman

Welcoming the next round(Williams, Amherst, TCNJ and William Smith) of NCAAs to the rain and snow of Geneva this weekend.  I am not sure if William Smith is in the NCAAs or the NESCAC tournament after the Tufts game??  Good luck to all, the winner gets to play in balmy North Carolina.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

GoPerry

It's going to be another brutal weather weekend for pretty much everyone, especially those in Midds and Geneva.  Looks like everyone will avoid the snow however.  St Louis expected 3-5 inches today but clearing for tomorrow evenings games.

It will be a tall order for the young Wheaton team to get past Centre.  Recently, the Thunder have been slightly challenged in scoring against the tougher teams - concerning given the Colonels have only given up 4 goals all year and not in the last 2 months.  I'm hoping Wheaton can score first, then who knows?

Good luck to all the teams and travel safe.

jaybird44

Francis Field at WashU was covered with a thick blanket of snow Thursday morning...but, an all-hands-on-deck snow-clearing day for the WashU Department of Athletics removed the snow after five hours.  No worries for the Friday afternoon/evening Sweet 16 doubleheader at 5:00 & 7:30.

WashU vs. Wisconsin-LaCrosse at 5:00 CST Friday
Centre vs. Wheaton at 7:30

Go to washubears.com and click on the Live Broadcasts link to select your desired broadcast.  Both Sweet 16 games and the Elite 8 game Saturday at 6 pm will feature live play-by-play broadcasts.

JimLahey

Still confused why CWRU didn't make it. they could be anyone of these teams

blue_jays

Quote from: JimLahey on November 16, 2018, 01:34:03 PM
Still confused why CWRU didn't make it. they could be anyone of these teams

Because CWRU is a sub .500 team