BB: LL: Liberty League

Started by John McGraw, March 11, 2007, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGraw

St. Lawrence and Union did the same thing last year. They played four games in Port Charlotte, Fla., in late March. And, according to St. Lawrence's schedule, they'll be doing it again this year.

If you have to play conference games in Florida because of poor weather in upstate New York; you have too many conference games.

Twenty-four conference games is a ridiculous number, especially given the fact that the season runs for a little over two months. I'd be OK with 18; play a three-game weekend series as opposed to back-to-back doubleheaders on Saturday and Sunday and then you have a little more reasonable number.

Division I plays a three-game weekend series either Friday-Saturday-Sunday or a doubleheader Saturday and a single game on Sunday.

Bob Maxwell

The four game series was talked about on this thread last year... I agree, cut it to 3 games and play more non-conference games.  Does this League play 24 games?

Ralph Turner

This strategy only helps the conference if those extra 6 games are:

1)  played against teams within a 200-mile radius,
2)  played against teams in the New York Region, or
3)  played against teams in Adminstrative Region #2 (NY and PA).

One must always remember the Regional focus of D3 especially in the framework of these two questions.

"How many days of class will the students miss?"

"How much money will it cost our budget?"

;)

BoomerIL

Bob.....Ralph......

I would love to see Rochester play other competitive teams instead of piling-on two doubleheaders, but then how do you schedule games?  Could they play games with other teams from the SUNYAC or Empire 8 besides Brockport, Ithaca, St. John Fisher, RIT?  Could those games be more meaningful?

I think time and distance are the big concerns.  What do you think?
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

BoomerIL

I just looked at our schedule for 08, and it looks like UR plays a DH against Keuka and Medialle.  So.......UR is trying to get other schools into their schedule.  How are those teams as far as being competitive?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BoomerIL on October 21, 2007, 08:57:31 PM
I just looked at our schedule for 08, and it looks like UR plays a DH against Keuka and Medialle.  So.......UR is trying to get other schools into their schedule.  How are those teams as far as being competitive?
Keuka is from the NEAC and went 9-18/8-10.  The NEAC is a new conference that has a fluctuating membership.

Medaille is in the AMCC, which is a slightly stronger conference.  They went 15-22/13-5.

Here are their 2007 results.  They played several games versus SUNYAC teams which is a good conference.

BoomerIL

Ralph....

Thanks!!  Good information for me to follow-up on.  Hopefully UR will improve upon last seasons results, they only lost 3 seniors, two pitchers and our 1b/DH.

Bob Maxwell

Ralph,

Where do you come up with the regional records so easily?  Is there a web site or do you just have them from the end of the season last year?

Bob

Ralph Turner

Bob, those records were for season and conference.

I have not found an up-to-date source for regional records.

I do try to remember which team is in which region and the remember the 200-mile radius and administrative region provisions.

Please remember, an in-region game can occur in Florida.  I usually have to look at each schedule individually.

Pat Coleman's linkages with D3scoreboard.com will help us some with regional records, but the cancellations and postponements in baseball among 360 teams for a 40 game schedule is much harder to follow than football and basketball combined.

Bob Maxwell

Ralph,

I thought that you may have had a web site or other source that has the two records listed on it.  Guess you have to go through the record each time...  Yes, it is much tougher with baseball because of the cancellations and number of games.

I've gone through some teams schedules/results as we all have at the end of a year... but I always miss a game or two.

The only source I know that gives everyone's records... and is only their overall record - no tthe regional one is the Boydsworld.com with the ISR's...  Problem is that doesn't come out until the fall sometime.  And without any regional ranking number is not helpful when discussing the bids to the NCAA.

Just wondered if you had a reference or source...

pavanyks

What fresh faces are back in the liberty league?

Rochester should have a strong pitching staff. 

BoomerIL

We hope the pitching staff is strong, you never know.  Rochester lost two pitchers, their 3 or 4 starter, and their set-up guy.  They still have there #1 and #2, but their #3 might be fighting to move into the #1 or #2 spot.  Still have some good middle guys, and our closer looks stronger.  One or two freshman could contribute.  Defensively they have gotten stronger.  The big question comes from the offensive side of the team.  Their "power" production should improve, but how much I don't know, but anything more than two home runs is a big improvement.  They need to get their averages up, and have more timely hitting.  IF, and I do emphasize IF, they can put it all together, they have an excellent chance of winning the conference title.

They played very well against the big name schools with some good wins, but faltered at the end due to a lack of hitting, and obviously run production.  Their defense really helped them as their defensive stats showed.  But, you can't win games without runs!!   

pavanyks

I agree offense has to pick it up.  Any Freshmen who can contribute?

Where will they get some power from?  There field isn't really conducive to home field HOME RUns its a poke in the gaps.

RPI is always tough.

pavanyks

Defensively stronger?  Isn't there whole infield back, how do you get stronger.

I mentioned RPI I also like Clarkson.

pavanyks

I like RPI always and clarkson.

I started  a new thread cause it was too hard to get at the liberty league one from last year.

Rochester has strong pitchers and all returning infielders.  Power and Slugging percentage has to increase along with overall team speed and defense.

Will see how they do.  But they haven't won liberty league ever to my knowledge.