Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Massey has Millsaps as just a slight favorite this weekend. If they lose, then is it thought that TLU will leap in there leaving the Majors to swim with the "C"s?

smedindy

Not a good time for Millsaps to spit the bit. I guess this leaves a door wide open for TLU, with Millspas, Wash U. and Rhodes (who lost two games by four total points) on the outside. I can't see Millsaps ahead of Thomas More in the South rankings, and I don't think Thomas More will get off the board, so no playoffs for any "B" runner-up.

jknezek

Quote from: smedindy on November 16, 2013, 04:58:22 PM
Not a good time for Millsaps to spit the bit. I guess this leaves a door wide open for TLU, with Millspas, Wash U. and Rhodes (who lost two games by four total points) on the outside. I can't see Millsaps ahead of Thomas More in the South rankings, and I don't think Thomas More will get off the board, so no playoffs for any "B" runner-up.

I don't see TLU going through. They have a much worse SOS and a hideous loss. Millsaps, Wash U and Framingham all look much better. If you go by winning percentage, then SOS, it's got to be Millsaps and Framingham. If you go by SOS and common opponents it's got to be Wash U and Framingham. Plus Wash U was already ahead of TLU in the Regional Rankings and I just don't see them jumping ahead of Wash U, who also won today. Not sure how TLU has any kind of an open door, but I've been surprised before. Millsaps losing should disqualify them from hosting Maryville (who also lost), so I'm thinking either TLU or Millsaps, whoever gets in, becomes the obvious opponent for UMHB.

smedindy

Then there's Rhodes, who may be the best of the bunch but did lose to Wash U. Maybe the "B" committee jumps a two-loss team up? Millsaps hasn't looked very good these past two weeks.

jknezek

Quote from: smedindy on November 16, 2013, 05:31:41 PM
Then there's Rhodes, who may be the best of the bunch but did lose to Wash U. Maybe the "B" committee jumps a two-loss team up? Millsaps hasn't looked very good these past two weeks.

How do you get Rhodes over Wash U or Framingham? There isn't any primary criteria to do so. They tied the overall winning percentage criteria with Wash U but lose to Framingham. They lost the H2H to Wash U and did no better in the common opponent category (both beat Centre). They have no common opponent with Framingham. And they lose the SOS to both by a mile (mid 20s to 119). What criteria could possibly jump Rhodes up?

smedindy

Not criteria wise, football wise. I know they lose the criteria battle.

Framingham's in, there's no doubt now. It's between Millsaps and TLU and Wash U. probably.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on November 16, 2013, 05:29:01 PM
Quote from: smedindy on November 16, 2013, 04:58:22 PM

I don't see TLU going through. They have a much worse SOS and a hideous loss. Millsaps, Wash U and Framingham all look much better. If you go by winning percentage, then SOS, it's got to be Millsaps and Framingham. If you go by SOS and common opponents it's got to be Wash U and Framingham. Plus Wash U was already ahead of TLU in the Regional Rankings and I just don't see them jumping ahead of Wash U, who also won today. Not sure how TLU has any kind of an open door, but I've been surprised before. Millsaps losing should disqualify them from hosting Maryville (who also lost), so I'm thinking either TLU or Millsaps, whoever gets in, becomes the obvious opponent for UMHB.
Yes, and TLU beat the team (LaCollege) that beat the team (HSU) that gave TLU the ugly loss the week after TLU "upset" LaCollege.

TLU would have finished tied for 2nd in the ASC and have the tie-breakers over Mississippi College and LaCollege.

I will let the committee decide between TLU and Millsaps.  I think that one-loss Framingham St gets a bid.

And Wash StL!

jknezek

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 16, 2013, 06:24:06 PM

Yes, and TLU beat the team (LaCollege) that beat the team (HSU) that gave TLU the ugly loss the week after TLU "upset" LaCollege.

TLU would have finished tied for 2nd in the ASC and have the tie-breakers over Mississippi College and LaCollege.

I will let the committee decide between TLU and Millsaps.  I think that one-loss Framingham St gets a bid.

And Wash StL!

Of course. That makes me rethink everything! TLU beat some ASC teams and lost to another. Of course they deserve to get in! And tie-breakers over teams that aren't going to the playoffs is certainly a new criteria for the committee to consider! Forget the published criteria, ASC sort-of but not really runner up is a lock in my book!

You may be right Ralph, but those ASC tinted glasses aren't real helpful this year. This was a very down year for the ASC. MC got hammered by both Millsaps and Huntingdon and went 4-6 this year but finished third in the conference. LC lost to the only two non-ASC D3 teams they faced, Huntingdon and TLU, but finished second in the conference.

It's just not a great measuring stick, regardless of how much you like the conference or how good it usually is. Not this year.

FCGrizzliesGrad

I'm trying to pick the teams so I can come up with my own prediction of the bracket (to give a little variety to wally's brackets). As far as I can tell here in pool B it looks like Framingham St and Wesley are in pretty strong positions and the 3rd spot is between Millsaps and TLU depending on how far Millsaps falls. WashU staying behind TLU in the 2nd regional rankings I think means they're toast. If I had to guess I think Millsaps can stay ahead based on the huge discrepancy in SoS
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

wesleydad

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on November 16, 2013, 08:13:30 PM
I'm trying to pick the teams so I can come up with my own prediction of the bracket (to give a little variety to wally's brackets). As far as I can tell here in pool B it looks like Framingham St and Wesley are in pretty strong positions and the 3rd spot is between Millsaps and TLU depending on how far Millsaps falls. WashU staying behind TLU in the 2nd regional rankings I think means they're toast. If I had to guess I think Millsaps can stay ahead based on the huge discrepancy in SoS

FC, remember that TLU was ahead of Millsaps in the first RR.  Not sure if that tells anything for tomorrow, but the committee had them higher.

Ron Boerger

But TLU lost to a horrid HSU and Millsaps a decent Rhodes.   That combined with TLU's miserable SOS should put Millsaps in the last spot. 

roocru

Quote from: jknezek on November 16, 2013, 07:51:38 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 16, 2013, 06:24:06 PM

And Wash StL!

Of course. That makes me rethink everything! TLU beat some ASC teams and lost to another. Of course they deserve to get in! And tie-breakers over teams that aren't going to the playoffs is certainly a new criteria for the committee to consider! Forget the published criteria, ASC sort-of but not really runner up is a lock in my book!

You may be right Ralph, but those ASC tinted glasses aren't real helpful this year. This was a very down year for the ASC. MC got hammered by both Millsaps and Huntingdon and went 4-6 this year but finished third in the conference. LC lost to the only two non-ASC D3 teams they faced, Huntingdon and TLU, but finished second in the conference.

It's just not a great measuring stick, regardless of how much you like the conference or how good it usually is. Not this year.

I think you are getting a little tacky here in this reply to Ralph.  While I agree with some of your points, Ralph is entitled to his opinions and has long been a positive and respectful poster with regard to other posters.
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

smedindy

When I first posted, I didn't realize TLU had THAT BAD of an SOS. Ick.

Milsaps has really looked...not good...for most of these past two weeks.

jknezek

Yeah. Probably needed some smileys. Was just joking around but the tone didn't quite work. My bad

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 16, 2013, 08:34:14 PM
But TLU lost to a horrid HSU and Millsaps a decent Rhodes.   That combined with TLU's miserable SOS should put Millsaps in the last spot.

I wouldn't rule out Wash U, now that there's a common opponent differentiation.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.