Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roocru

Quote from: jknezek on November 16, 2013, 09:36:41 PM
Yeah. Probably needed some smileys. Was just joking around but the tone didn't quite work. My bad

Thanks!
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

Ron Boerger

I really have a hard time believing the committee is going to take not one but two two-loss teams into Pool B.  Wesley, OK, you can talk me into that, but not WashU.  At some point a second loss has to count against you somehow. 

Pat and company are probably right but it wrankles me the wrong way.

jknezek

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 16, 2013, 11:44:49 PM
I really have a hard time believing the committee is going to take not one but two two-loss teams into Pool B.  Wesley, OK, you can talk me into that, but not WashU.  At some point a second loss has to count against you somehow. 

Kind of agree but both those teams will have a loss to a 1 seed. Hard to fault those losses. TLu and Millsaps both took bad losses. TLU's loss is simply hideous by any definition and Millsaps lost to a common opponent. For Millsaps that data point is very unfortunate, for TLU it just looks like a non playoff loss, especially when combined with their miserable SOS

FCGrizzliesGrad

Since last night I've been thinking... what are the chances that Rhodes sneaks into the secret rankings? That could be just the push that WashU needs to get into the 3rd spot because then they'd be 1-1 vs RRO compared to 0-1 for Millsaps. If Rhodes isn't ranked then I can't see WashU suddenly leaping TLU when they didn't in last week's rankings
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

smedindy

There's an opening since Maryville lost...

bleedpurple

I understand your thoughts, but from my, admittedly biased, perspective I disagree.  I think teams should be rewarded, not penalized for scheduling top teams. To penalize a team for playing a 1 seed close seems more than harsh to me. Let's face it, how many teams in the field would be able to do that?  All wins are not the same and all losses are not the same. Could not it be argued that a 10 point loss AT UW-W is more impressive than a 4 point home win over LaGrange?  I would think so.

wally_wabash

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 17, 2013, 03:05:44 PM

I understand your thoughts, but from my, admittedly biased, perspective I disagree.  I think teams should be rewarded, not penalized for scheduling top teams. To penalize a team for playing a 1 seed close seems more than harsh to me. Let's face it, how many teams in the field would be able to do that?  All wins are not the same and all losses are not the same. Could not it be argued that a 10 point loss AT UW-W is more impressive than a 4 point home win over LaGrange?  I would think so.

Where does 7-0 vs Macalester fit in? 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bleedpurple

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 17, 2013, 03:16:22 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on November 17, 2013, 03:05:44 PM

Where does 7-0 vs Macalester fit in?

On a weighted scale, I would give that the same zero weight for Wash U that I give to the 4 point win over LaGrange. And maybe it's even a (-1). I'm really not making a decisive declaration that Wash U should be in as much as I am trying to advocate that their entire body of work not be seen as "lesser" because they had the stomach to schedule UW-W. If the rest of their body of work (Macalester, etc) does not measure up, then they should not be selected.  There are only a very few teams that I would allow a 2 loss team to say "Ya, but..." for. My bias is that I want UW-W to be able to schedule more games against good teams and it will continue to be a struggle to get 10 NCAA games if teams feel like they are blowing their Playoff chances before their regular season even gets underway.

KitchenSink

Wash U, Fram State and Wesley.  Interesting.
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

FCGrizzliesGrad

I think Rhodes had to have made it into the secret rankings. That's the only way I see WashU being able to leap TLU and Millsaps. I'm even more shocked that the Bears are headed to Franklin. No way I thought Franklin had a chance at hosting.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

jknezek

Quote from: KitchenSink on November 17, 2013, 06:13:14 PM

That looks right to me. TLU has no SOS and a horrible loss. Millsaps loses the common opponent and SOS criteria to Wash U. Framingham State had the SOS and winning percentage. Wesley has the SOS and history.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jknezek on November 17, 2013, 06:19:54 PM
Quote from: KitchenSink on November 17, 2013, 06:13:14 PM

That looks right to me. TLU has no SOS and a horrible loss. Millsaps loses the common opponent and SOS criteria to Wash U. Framingham State had the SOS and winning percentage. Wesley has the SOS and history.
Wash U probably had a couple of  games against RR teams.

Ralph Turner

Pool B  2013:  Wesley (IND), WashUStL  (UAA), Framingham State (MASCAC)

Wesley 29, at JHU  24
at Franklin 17, WashUStL  10
at Ithaca 20, Framingham State 17.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 23, 2013, 04:04:27 PM

Wesley 29, at JHU  24

Considering these results, while we don't definitely KNOW how TLU or Millsaps would have done, I'd say that the three B selections acquitted themselves well.  WashU goes to the final horn on the road, FSU does the same in a game where they were the underdog, and Wesley wins maybe the most exciting game of the first round.  Nice job, Pool B!  You'll be a lot smaller next year!
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 24, 2013, 07:52:25 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 23, 2013, 04:04:27 PM

Wesley 29, at JHU  24

Considering these results, while we don't definitely KNOW how TLU or Millsaps would have done, I'd say that the three B selections acquitted themselves well.  WashU goes to the final horn on the road, FSU does the same in a game where they were the underdog, and Wesley wins maybe the most exciting game of the first round.  Nice job, Pool B!  You'll be a lot smaller next year!
TLU or Millsaps would have lost by 4-6 TD's at UMHB.