Pool B

Started by Ralph Turner, October 01, 2005, 02:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Actually 73 points from an ASC offense does not surprise me.  Texas high school football is outstanding at producing skill position players because these players start with 7-on-7 in junior high and play it almost year round. Unless you have  a real shutdown defensive line, then these teams can pick you apart.  HSU finally put it together.  Was TLU a little over confident after their win over LaCollege?  Maybe.

wdelsean

SOS, Team, Full D3 Record, Wins, D3 Games remaining

1 Wesley 4-2  (Widener, Huntingdon, Birm-Southern, Salisbury) - NO FULL D3 GAMES LEFT
17 FraminghamSt 8-1 (Endicott, FitchSt, WCSU, Mass-Dart, WFieldSt, PlymSt, MassMar, BWaterSt) -  No. 196 WorcState
36  WashU 7-2 (Rhodes, Centre, Berry, Hendrix, Macalester, CarnMellon, CWR) - No. 180 Chicago
109 Millsaps 8-0 (MissColl, LaGrange, Sewanee, Hentrix, Trinity, BirmSth, Berry, Centre) -  No. 123 Rhodes
123 Rhodes 7-2 (Austin, Clar-Mudd, Berry, Chicago, Sewanee, Centre, Hendrix) - No. 109 Millsaps
215 Tex Lutheran 7-1 (SWestern, Trinity, ETBU, Austin, SulRoss, MissColl, LaColl) - No. 137 HPayne

Some Notes:  Wesley's SOS is .069 higher than No. 2.  To put that in perspective, 2 through 5 are seperated by just .007.  Generally the byproduct of never having to face the worst team in their conference given the way they scheduled.   Framingham's SOS jumped WashU's this week.  Going from 32 to 17.  Centre's skyrocketed from 70 to 37, but the loss to Millsaps knocked them to 3 losses.  Rhodes' dropped over 15 down to 123.  It was a double-negative for TLU.  They lost, and their SOS dropped back into the 200s while they were doing it.

The big question still abounds:  Will anyone have a regionally ranked win when this is said and done?

wesleydad

Quote from: wdelsean on November 10, 2013, 08:50:02 PM
SOS, Team, Full D3 Record, Wins, D3 Games remaining

1 Wesley 4-2  (Widener, Huntingdon, Birm-Southern, Salisbury) - NO FULL D3 GAMES LEFT
17 FraminghamSt 8-1 (Endicott, FitchSt, WCSU, Mass-Dart, WFieldSt, PlymSt, MassMar, BWaterSt) -  No. 196 WorcState
36  WashU 7-2 (Rhodes, Centre, Berry, Hendrix, Macalester, CarnMellon, CWR) - No. 180 Chicago
109 Millsaps 8-0 (MissColl, LaGrange, Sewanee, Hentrix, Trinity, BirmSth, Berry, Centre) -  No. 123 Rhodes
123 Rhodes 7-2 (Austin, Clar-Mudd, Berry, Chicago, Sewanee, Centre, Hendrix) - No. 109 Millsaps
215 Tex Lutheran 7-1 (SWestern, Trinity, ETBU, Austin, SulRoss, MissColl, LaColl) - No. 137 HPayne

Some Notes:  Wesley's SOS is .069 higher than No. 2.  To put that in perspective, 2 through 5 are seperated by just .007.  Generally the byproduct of never having to face the worst team in their conference given the way they scheduled.   Framingham's SOS jumped WashU's this week.  Going from 32 to 17.  Centre's skyrocketed from 70 to 37, but the loss to Millsaps knocked them to 3 losses.  Rhodes' dropped over 15 down to 123.  It was a double-negative for TLU.  They lost, and their SOS dropped back into the 200s while they were doing it.

The big question still abounds:  Will anyone have a regionally ranked win when this is said and done?

Looking at this list it looks like it comes down to Wesley and Wash U.  Framingham has a strong enough SOS and Millsaps is undefeated, hard to believe that they would be left out.  If Millsaps loses to Rhodes this week then it would be interesting since Wash U beat Rhodes and the SOS is drastically better.  Maybe Wash U jumps Millsaps if Millsaps loses.  Wash U's loss to UWW looks better than Wesley's to UMHB.  Chicago winning would make it easier for Wesley and Wesley is ranked higher in the Regional rankings which leads one to believe that they would be chosen first.  Will be interesting on Sunday.

K-Mack

Without crunching the numbers too hard yet, I think Wesley is in. A .678 SOS is one of the highest I've ever seen. Then if Salisbury manages to sneak into the regional rankings, it could be a third RRO for Wesley, which would be a heck of a trump card against teams who haven't played anyone regionally ranked.

Framingham State scheduling Rowan might be the saving grace for them, because not only does it boost SoS and give it a RRO, it provides grounds for comparison as a common opponent of Wesley's.

As of now, I think Millsaps and Framingham State and Wesley are the three. TLU might have played its way out on a schedule where it didn't have room to err.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

wally_wabash

Quote from: K-Mack on November 11, 2013, 03:55:47 PM
Without crunching the numbers too hard yet, I think Wesley is in. A .678 SOS is one of the highest I've ever seen. Then if Salisbury manages to sneak into the regional rankings, it could be a third RRO for Wesley, which would be a heck of a trump card against teams who haven't played anyone regionally ranked.

Framingham State scheduling Rowan might be the saving grace for them, because not only does it boost SoS and give it a RRO, it provides grounds for comparison as a common opponent of Wesley's.

As of now, I think Millsaps and Framingham State and Wesley are the three. TLU might have played its way out on a schedule where it didn't have room to err.

I think that's pretty safe, Keith.  Although I think Salisbury being regionally ranked at this point is out the window.  They're 5-4 right now.  It's hard for me to see 4 losses being good enough to be in a regional top 10.  Either way, I don't think Wesley needs it at this point.  Wouldn't be surprised if they stay ranked ahead of Millsaps in the RRs this week. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

K-Mack

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 11, 2013, 04:07:25 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 11, 2013, 03:55:47 PM

I think that's pretty safe, Keith.  Although I think Salisbury being regionally ranked at this point is out the window.  They're 5-4 right now.  It's hard for me to see 4 losses being good enough to be in a regional top 10.  Either way, I don't think Wesley needs it at this point.  Wouldn't be surprised if they stay ranked ahead of Millsaps in the RRs this week.

I'd lost track of Salisbury's record. Widener at 7-3 is probably unlikely as well but would make the same point. Oh well, guess I was just wrong. (<--- Person on message board admits being wrong, world ceases turning)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

hazzben

Quote from: K-Mack on November 11, 2013, 04:58:27 PM
I'd lost track of Salisbury's record. Widener at 7-3 is probably unlikely as well but would make the same point. Oh well, guess I was just wrong. (<--- Person on message board admits being wrong, world ceases turning)

Ha! +k for the accuracy, humor and humility of that comment

Ron Boerger

Good thing the coaches aren't picking the Pool B/C teams ... even after being blown out on Sat they still have TLU "26th", dropping them all of three places.    LOL.

K-Mack

I took a hard look at TLU, in chart form, and couldn't find but a smidge of a reason to get them in the field via the criteria.

FWIW, if anybody's awake, you can read said charts. I soft-published an ATN regional ranking primer with full examinations of Pools B and C and a Q&A sesh at the end.

I proofread it, but I won't add it to the front rotation until the morning. If you see something wrong, or that I missed, please let me know.

http://www.d3football.com/x/twl9c
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

art76

Quote from: K-Mack on November 13, 2013, 01:34:33 AM
I took a hard look at TLU, in chart form, and couldn't find but a smidge of a reason to get them in the field via the criteria.

FWIW, if anybody's awake, you can read said charts. I soft-published an ATN regional ranking primer with full examinations of Pools B and C and a Q&A sesh at the end.

I proofread it, but I won't add it to the front rotation until the morning. If you see something wrong, or that I missed, please let me know.

http://www.d3football.com/x/twl9c

Nicely done Keith!
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

Ron Boerger

My only suggestion would be to go ahead and throw TLU in your Pool C table along with the rest of them, since you're saying (with good reason) that they won't get a Pool B bid.  You talk about them later but it's always nice to see visually where they slot into the discussion should they get past harmless HPU. 

As art76 said - well done!

wally_wabash

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 13, 2013, 08:30:15 AM
My only suggestion would be to go ahead and throw TLU in your Pool C table along with the rest of them, since you're saying (with good reason) that they won't get a Pool B bid.  You talk about them later but it's always nice to see visually where they slot into the discussion should they get past harmless HPU. 

As art76 said - well done!

It feels like they should be slotted below Thomas More in the South, but then again it felt like they should have been slotted below Millsaps last week.  Will be interesting to see how those two get ordered this week. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

K-Mack

Good piece of advice, Ron.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

wesleydad

heres hoping that all are correct and wesley gets in.  I would like to have a rooting interest in at least 1 game before I start traveling around the east finding the best game in the playoffs.

Teamski

Quote from: wesleydad on November 13, 2013, 06:00:27 PM
heres hoping that all are correct and wesley gets in.  I would like to have a rooting interest in at least 1 game before I start traveling around the east finding the best game in the playoffs.

Well one thing is for sure, Wesley will be road warriors this time around.   :-\

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.