FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

You too FrankU!!  Clever greeting but not surprising ;D

lumbercat

Dave Dunn leaving Colby for HC job at Christopher Columbus HS- Miami Fl.

PBPOP20

lumbercat

Quote from: PBPOP20 on December 26, 2018, 04:17:04 PM
Lumbercat,   any word out of Brunswick?

Polar Bear Cub AD Ryan says mid January announcement.....hearing they want to make a big splash to trump Colby but a Jack Cosgrove like hire may be no where to be found. 

I hear Bobby Acosta, Bucknell OC or Chris Rorke.

Rorke was the first choice when they hired JB- believe he might be revisiting the deal....he's gotta be tired of the Prep school thing at Tabor. Rorke is an accomplished OC with a strong stint at Trinity when he ran the offense while Lord Jeffrey was still arranging his ego. He then moved on to Dartmouth. He's got NESCAC experience and IVY pedigree. He should be the guy, but who knows.

The guy that missed his calling in Maine was Dave Dunn.......He just high tailed it for a HS job in Miami. Can't blame the guy.

Since coming to Colby from Marshall following a long stint as HC at Catholic he was poised for a HC job. The Colby job opened up when Michaeles was let go and Dunn looked like the guy until Cosgrove was unexpectedly reincarnated as the HC. Then the Bates job opened up but Dunn lost out on that one. Believe he was candidate at Bowdoin but thats evidently not happening either.

The guy was very qualified to be successful in any of the CBB programs but things just didn't go his way.

polbear73

Quote from: lumbercat on December 26, 2018, 10:40:02 PM

Polar Bear Cub AD Ryan says mid January announcement.....hearing they want to make a big splash to trump Colby but a Jack Cosgrove like hire may be no where to be found. 

Rorke was the first choice when they hired JB- believe he might be revisiting the deal....he's gotta be tired of the Prep school thing at Tabor. Rorke is an accomplished OC with a strong stint at Trinity when he ran the offense while Lord Jeffrey was still arranging his ego. He then moved on to Dartmouth. He's got NESCAC experience and IVY pedigree. He should be the guy, but who knows.

The guy that missed his calling in Maine was Dave Dunn.......He just high tailed it for a HS job in Miami. Can't blame the guy.

Since coming to Colby from Marshall following a long stint as HC at Catholic he was poised for a HC job. The Colby job opened up when Michaeles was let go and Dunn looked like the guy until Cosgrove was unexpectedly reincarnated as the HC. Then the Bates job opened up but Dunn lost out on that one. Believe he was candidate at Bowdoin but thats evidently not happening either.

The guy was very qualified to be successful in any of the CBB programs but things just didn't go his way.

The mid January goal is true and there are currently 4 finalists, a 5th having dropped out to take a Patriot League assistant job.  Interesting to note the search committee:  Tim Ryan, AD; the major donor to the Whittier Field renovation and current Trustee; Scott Meiklejohn, former Director of Admissions and current Senior Vice President of Development, and Whitney Soule, current Director of Admissions.  Seems that Admissions now has a vested interest in the Program and "fixing football" has reached the Board level.   

Jonny Utah

Quote from: polbear73 on December 27, 2018, 06:31:53 AM
Quote from: lumbercat on December 26, 2018, 10:40:02 PM

The mid January goal is true and there are currently 4 finalists, a 5th having dropped out to take a Patriot League assistant job.  Interesting to note the search committee:  Tim Ryan, AD; the major donor to the Whittier Field renovation and current Trustee; Scott Meiklejohn, former Director of Admissions and current Senior Vice President of Development, and Whitney Soule, current Director of Admissions.  Seems that Admissions now has a vested interest in the Program and "fixing football" has reached the Board level.

When you think about it, more than 10% of your male student body is on the football team.  Admissions is really going to play a huge role in that as the guy (coach) bringing in those students needs to be on board with how Bowdoin wants it done.

amh63

Meiklejohn....that is a name that is connected to the Amherst history books.  A former Amherst Prez had that family name.
Yes, it is always good to have an Admission big wig on the " supporting interest side" in any athletic topic.

GoBlue61

Hey Lumbercat...not too enthused about the names connected to the Bowdoin football HC search...the Bucknell OC has a good background but am not impressed with the 1 win season in 2018...if the Tabor HC was such a hot name at Dartmouth why did he end up at an ISL school and is not exactly lighting up that league BTW?  I know the Bowdoin job is tough one with all the disadvantages discussed widely on this site (admissions, location, losing history, etc.), but I would like to believe that they had someone in mind when they let Wells go.  Otherwise, I would have stuck with Wells for one more year.

polbear73

GoBlue: I would never question Lumbercat's grapevine and will not start now but the powers that be did not disclose any of the names of the Final Four in a communication to some football alumni. Having been tangentially aware of the search that produced JB Wells, I'm not particularly thrilled either about the names proffered by LumberCat and I expected a broad net through Parker Associates, the search firm leading the effort. While I know very little about Acosta's candidacy (if true), the Rorke speculation makes some sense as he was, in fact, the finalist in the last search and there are strong connections with Tabor through the Search Committee.

Assuming Lumbercat is correct on Acosta and Rorke, there are still two unknowns in play, and maybe a surprise is in the works.

By the way, I have always thought that midcoast Maine is a fantastic location and could be a recruiting asset is sold properly.

GoBlue61

polbear73:  Hopefully, there is a surprise in the works for Bowdoin football HC.  I agree that mid-coast Maine is a great location, in particular compared to the other NESCAC schools (Hartford, Somerville, Middletown, etc.?).  I still believe that Bowdoin could be a good situation for the right coach.  Win the CBB on a regular basis, beat some of the middle of the league teams, and be competitive with the tops teams; 3 or 4 wins a year would seem reasonable.  Admissions needs to let the 4 or 5 key players in per year to make a difference.

polbear73

We are on the same page, GoBlue61. Fingers crossed! By the way, I'm assuming your handle indicates a Michigan connection. After leaving Brunswick many years ago, I spent 2 years in Ann Arbor getting my MBA. Spent more time in The Big House and Crisler than in the library!

lumbercat

Harvard OL job open....perfect for JBW unless he would perceive it as a backwards step.

Say what you want about Wells but that guy is a great OL coach and he will be a good HC when he gets his next shot.

And yes Go Blue, he deserved another year. Let him finish his contract......whoever they bring in will find all the heavy lifting is done- JBW grinded the ball down the field only to hand it to his successor in the red zone.

Waiting to see the whole thing play out...new coach will bring OC and DC so the 2 current coordinators who are hanging around will be demoted??......I don't buy it. They had to give the coordinators a stipend to stick around until their replacements arrive. Maybe Polar Bear Cub Ryan is a little more shrewd than we thought.

polbear73

Agree, Lumbercat. And somebody is recruiting as the Polar Bears have landed at least a few very attractive recruits already. Beats me.

lumbercat

polbear--at this point in the recruiting cycle Bowdoin has landed some fantastic recruits- as good as their last 2 years have been, this will be their best. There is no echo in here and I don't want to sound like a broken record but they are going to be vastly improved. Looking at a NJ QB and a great RB today from the South Shore who have committed to the Black and White and thats only the tip of the iceberg.......JB didnt have this level of admissions leniency.

Also, don't misread me as Wells buddy or friend......we rooted hard against the guy in Lewiston but at the end of the day he got screwed. He's a very good recruiter and coach.... well respected throughout the NESCAC.