MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Hope's SOS and RPI are probably going to end up a little higher than anticipated from the preseason analysis, but its going to crash pretty hard after the 4 holiday games with Finlandia, Carleton, Westminster and Illinois Tech.  Two of those 4 are currently win-less, Westminster might end up ok if they do well in the PAC, Carlton is probably a bottom 4 or 5 team in the MIAC.

They would need excellent seasons from Ripon, Benedictine, Stevens Point and Platteville plus a 16 or 17 win year out of Anderson to be in any serious Pool C thoughts.  But that's like drinking the water before you find the creek at this point, long way to go.  I'm not anticipating Pool C being an option for Hope.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: sac on December 01, 2019, 08:13:05 PM
Albion 69  Rose Hulman 64

Little different Albion team than last year.  More post depth, less guard depth but maybe better in both areas.  Albion didn't have its best night shooting but they outworkd RHIT for loose balls and rebounds and that was a pretty large reason they walked away with this W.  Albion was pretty tough down the stretch and pulled away a bit in what was a pretty close game throughout.  Caden Ebeling had some first half foul trouble that limited his night. 

MJ Barnes is coming off the bench the last couple games, noticed he had a brace on his left wrist which disappeared at halftime.   I believe Fr. Josh Palo has moved into a starting role.

If you don't have good PG play you're going to have a hard time beating the Brits.  Jamezelle Davis was so smooth tonight, exactly 1 turnover and really good command of his role, absolutely lethal on the few fast break opportunities this game afforded.

At this point d3hoops.com needs to do an expose on Davis's incredible ability to hit the big shot, yet another buzzer beater this one a 3 at the end of the first half.   

Albion is off until the 17th when they play DePauw at Transylvania , then they get Marietta or Transylvania.  Either one a really good Great Lakes pairing.  They could certainly have no more than 2 or 3 losses by MIAA play.

Looked at his games played this year, and shots he has taken with less than 30 seconds left till the end of the period (half, game, OT).  He is 3-5 from the field including 2-4 from 3!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Veni Vidi Vici

Quote from: sac on December 03, 2019, 03:32:25 PM
Hope's SOS and RPI are probably going to end up a little higher than anticipated from the preseason analysis, but its going to crash pretty hard after the 4 holiday games with Finlandia, Carleton, Westminster and Illinois Tech.  Two of those 4 are currently win-less, Westminster might end up ok if they do well in the PAC, Carlton is probably a bottom 4 or 5 team in the MIAC.

They would need excellent seasons from Ripon, Benedictine, Stevens Point and Platteville plus a 16 or 17 win year out of Anderson to be in any serious Pool C thoughts.  But that's like drinking the water before you find the creek at this point, long way to go.  I'm not anticipating Pool C being an option for Hope.

Agreed.  More than thinking forward to possible Pool C thoughts, I'm more just sort of wondering how good are they?  The very small sample size thus far looks good, and I'm interested to see how they fare on this trip to Wisconsin.

And again... similar thoughts with Calvin.  Although with the Knights, there are already some blemishes in the results that create a bit more doubt.  Overall, I'm just more optimistic about the whole MIAA this year.

Jameswys

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on December 03, 2019, 03:51:25 PM

Little different Albion team than last year.  More post depth, less guard depth but maybe better in both areas.  Albion didn't have its best night shooting but they outworkd RHIT for loose balls and rebounds and that was a pretty large reason they walked away with this W.  Albion was pretty tough down the stretch and pulled away a bit in what was a pretty close game throughout.  Caden Ebeling had some first half foul trouble that limited his night. 

MJ Barnes is coming off the bench the last couple games, noticed he had a brace on his left wrist which disappeared at halftime.   I believe Fr. Josh Palo has moved into a starting role.

If you don't have good PG play you're going to have a hard time beating the Brits.  Jamezelle Davis was so smooth tonight, exactly 1 turnover and really good command of his role, absolutely lethal on the few fast break opportunities this game afforded.

At this point d3hoops.com needs to do an expose on Davis's incredible ability to hit the big shot, yet another buzzer beater this one a 3 at the end of the first half.   

Albion is off until the 17th when they play DePauw at Transylvania , then they get Marietta or Transylvania.  Either one a really good Great Lakes pairing.  They could certainly have no more than 2 or 3 losses by MIAA play.

Looked at his games played this year, and shots he has taken with less than 30 seconds left till the end of the period (half, game, OT).  He is 3-5 from the field including 2-4 from 3!!

The MIAA tournament was heartbreaking last year (for OC fans at least), but I'm starting to feel less bad about it. At the time I thought Davis hit a fluke shot, but he's proving he's just a superior player in the last 30 seconds. And losing to a guy who has the 'X' factor in the last 30 seconds hurts a lot less than a guy who just made a fluke shot.
Olivet '05

TUAngola

Final from Angola:  Trine 72 Anderson 64

Trine with a not so pretty win, we certainly didn't play as well as we did against Muskingum and Mount Union a week and a half ago.  We did start out pretty well defensively, made Anderson burn a couple timeouts early to figure out how to get some open looks.  Then they made some adjustments and started to get the ball inside to DuBois as that was the one matchup we didn't guard very well 1 on 1.  Anderson outplayed us the second part of the first half and went into the locker room with a 1 pt lead.

Second half was a seesaw affair until about two-thirds of the way thru the half when Trine went on a mini run to get a 10 point lead.  Some big buckets from role players like Williams and Cox.  Our 2 sharp shooters Langston Johnson and Jake Daniels were both out of sync tonight.  Daniels couldn't buy a bucket, only made 2 3's, but hit a big one towards the end to give us some breathing room.  Langston Johnson was a little off on his perimeter shooting tonight, but played well overall, he just makes good decisions and is a terrific defender.

Trine:  Langston Johnson 21, Brent Cox 15 and 10 reb, David Johnson 10 and Marcus Winters 10
Anderson: DuBois 22, Knight 20 and Lyons 10

Interesting note:  This was Anderson's 5th game against the MIAA so far and has one more with Olivet later this month.  They are 2-3 against the MIAA with wins over Adrian and Calvin and losses to Kalamazoo, Hope and Trine.

Goknights2017

Quote from: Jameswys on December 03, 2019, 05:18:46 PM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on December 03, 2019, 03:51:25 PM

The MIAA tournament was heartbreaking last year (for OC fans at least), but I'm starting to feel less bad about it. At the time I thought Davis hit a fluke shot, but he's proving he's just a superior player in the last 30 seconds. And losing to a guy who has the 'X' factor in the last 30 seconds hurts a lot less than a guy who just made a fluke shot.

Not to take away any of his accomplishments, but half court shots are pretty much always flukes. Obviously, he has a knack for hitting the big shot, but if I were Olivet, I would like my odds letting him shoot that same shot again. (Talking of the MIAA tournament shot).

Flying Dutch Fan

The weekend schedule looks a bit like a mini MIAA-WIAC challenge.

Hope @ #11 UW-Platteville tonight and ORV #27 UWSP tomorrow
#13 UW-Oshkosh (defending national champs) @ Alma tonight and Calvin tomorrow
UW-Whitewater @ Calvin tonight and Alma tomorrow
Olivet @ #11 UW-Platteville Sunday

That's a bunch of really touch matchups.  Here's to these MIAA teams beating some of the cheese heads  ;D

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Flying Dutch Fan

Impressive 88-81 win for Alma over UW Oshkosh. Calvin currently leads UW Whitewater by 17 with 7 to play, looks like 2 MIAA wins.

Hope is down 10 at the half to UW Platteville, although trying to watch this video feed is downright painful. I think it's on an old 1200 baud modem with someone's AOL account.

John Wooden

goodknight

HoopsCoach

Hope started strong at UWP, but the Pioneers were very well connected offensively and shot lights out. Unfortunately the stats are pretty far off - for Hope anyway. Stats person was as off kilter as I heard the feed was. Hope didn't shoot 50% (more in the 45% range) but was also a tad better on the boards than indicated and had more than four assists (a strength of the team so far this year - sharing the ball to get extra good looks).

Regardless, UWP is one of those teams that appears bearable but with multiple good shooters you're in for a lot of hard work on D. The officials didn't do the Dutch any favors by calling it atypically close for a game over here in Cheeseland. Made it hard to bump guys off of screens or combat their PG who was pretty good at creating space with a sly off arm. Credit to
UWP though, the are well coached, have ample shooters and can play tough D.

A dinged up Riley Lewis (ankle in practice) meant he wasn't himself either so that hurt on the offensive side. Looks like UWSP might be a slightly better matchup so a 1-1 split against #11 and #27 would be a successful weekend.

pointlem

Quote from: wiz on December 07, 2019, 07:45:46 PM
Calvin has some things to work on.
https://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20191207snptry
What a weird weekend. At least Hope was consistent across nights in its ~10 point losses.

But it, too, has something to work on--encouraging key post players Gamm (15 foul-limited minutes last night) and Granger (20 foul-limited minutes tonight) to stay out of first half foul trouble.

If they can both be available for 30 minutes, Hope will be a better team, especially with Evan Thomas taking on a well-deserved starting role and Clayton Dykhouse gradually supplementing his speed with more experience.

TUAngola

I noticed that Jordan Harris of Adrian hasn't played the last 2 games for the Bulldogs.  Anyone know why he is out?  Injury?  He and Kalonji are their 2 main offensive guys so it's huge when he's not in the lineup.

Maurice Hunter of Trine is still out after getting injured in the first couple minutes of the 1st game.  We've weathered the storm pretty decently all things considered, but it hurts our inside presence a lot.  I think we might see a return soon, if not next weekend then hopefully when MIAA schedule gets underway. 

HoopsCoach

Quote from: pointlem on December 07, 2019, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: wiz on December 07, 2019, 07:45:46 PM
Calvin has some things to work on.
https://www.uwoshkoshtitans.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20191207snptry
What a weird weekend. At least Hope was consistent across nights in its ~10 point losses.

But it, too, has something to work on--encouraging key post players Gamm (15 foul-limited minutes last night) and Granger (20 foul-limited minutes tonight) to stay out of first half foul trouble.

If they can both be available for 30 minutes, Hope will be a better team, especially with Evan Thomas taking on a well-deserved starting role and Clayton Dykhouse gradually supplementing his speed with more experience.

Agreed on the foul trouble for bigs. The inside is where Hope has a steady advantage and there needs to be a solid effort to get it inside out and keep the ball moving. What was odd was how different the games were called. Friday was very ticky tacky, Saturday was more what you expect in WI and honestly what I wish we'd see here in MI. Granger got a few of his out of frustration and that's something he's going to have to adjust to as he gets more and more game plan attention.

Hope did make a step forward on Saturday. Thomas is a gamer and a great addition. But they still need to value the ball more (18 turnovers that led to 23 points). Now in a stretch where it's ten days off, back to back games, 10 days off, back to back games, 10 days off MIAA play. Good opportunity to make continued strides.

Flying Dutch Fan

Agreed that Hope improved on Saturday, and the trip was a great experience for this young team. The turnovers and poor FT shooting are concerning, and I'm sure will get some attention in practice. Exam week so their focus is needed there, although that doesn't mean no practice.

John Wooden

goodknight

sac

Platteville 82 Hope 64
Stevens Point 74 Hope 65

Hope turned it over too much both nights and spent both games being one shot and done on offense.  Hard to win road games doing that against good teams.  Defensively, not enough resistance sometimes.  Hope was pretty good offensively both nights.

Next four are very winnable, I would expect Hope to be 8-3 heading into conference play.

If Hope can play well in January (5 of 7 at home) they'll be in the conference race heading into the 2nd half of conference play, if not they'll be chasing all of February and on the road and most likely just playing for a tournament spot.