FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USee

Certainly a lot could, and likely will, happen. From everyone's experience it would be a joke if NCC at 9-1 wasn't in the field. That said, based on the criteria, it could make the committees decision tough because of NCC's relatively low SOS and IWU likely not getting regionally ranked (that UWL loss is huge).

Gregory Sager

That could give NCC fans a whole new (and entirely unexpected) reason to hate Norm. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 25, 2019, 02:15:26 PM
That could give NCC fans a whole new (and entirely unexpected) reason to hate Norm. ;)

Never enough reasons to hate Stormin Norman!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

shepherd

Quote from: USee on October 25, 2019, 01:26:08 PM
Certainly a lot could, and likely will, happen. From everyone's experience it would be a joke if NCC at 9-1 wasn't in the field. That said, based on the criteria, it could make the committees decision tough because of NCC's relatively low SOS and IWU likely not getting regionally ranked (that UWL loss is huge).
Agree 100% that it would be a travesty if NCC wins out and they don't make the playoffs.  They are a really-really good team.  Wheaton is a top 5 or (better team, we will find out as the season ends and playoffs will show exactly where) NCC is not far behind.

HScoach

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 25, 2019, 11:48:18 AM
Quote from: USee on October 25, 2019, 11:35:16 AM
NCC's fate may well rest upon where the North RAC puts them in the regional rankings. Currently the OAC has JCU and BW as 1 loss teams and they play each other in week 11. Will a 1 loss NCC get ranked above a 1 loss OAC team (loss to Mt Union)? That's a tough call and how the North RAC ranks those teams may well determine what happens.

I would place North Central above this year's OAC runner up ten times out of ten, but the North RAC has been weird over the last two years.  The good news is that there are some new folks on that North RAC conference call this year, and maybe those rankings can return to something a bit more sensible.

I agree with this and haven't seen a single play of NCC.  Both BW and JCU are not playoff caliber teams.   There have been years where the OAC runner-up is very, very good.  The last few years haven't been so.  Especially 2018 and 19.  If NCC is your typical CCIW playoff caliber team then they'd drill both JCU and BW this season. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Titan Q

Wash U 21
IWU 0

I'm not sure what I just watched really.

kiko

Today's results:

Carroll 26, North Park 14 on the North Side
Millikin 34, Elmhurst 0 in Decatur
North Central 49, Carthage 6 in Naperville
Wash U 21, Illinois Wesleyan 0 in Bloomington
Wheaton 40, Augie 0 at McCully

Next week:
Augie at Wash U
Millikin at Illinois Wesleyan
North Central at Elmhurst
North Park at Carthage
Wheaton at Carroll

Augie-Wash U will be a good benchmark for both teams.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Titan Q on October 26, 2019, 04:33:25 PM
Wash U 21
IWU 0

I'm not sure what I just watched really.

I think you watched the results of Brandon Bauer being knocked out.  With him, I expected IWU to win; without him I at least expected a toss-up.  Now I am not at all confident about the Millikin game next week.

We'll finish 6-4 at best, perhaps 5-5.

Is there anyone on campus currently who can succeed Bauer, or are we in for a 2004-06 trough?

USee

That IWU game was a lot more than just Brandon Bauer. WashU is a veteran team, weather was horrible and 6 Titan turnovers were a big hole.  When you lose like that it's always more than missing one guy.

formerd3db

Mr. Ypsi:

Wasn't sure if you knew, but Grant Caserta who is IWU's DC, is the son of our Quarterbacks Coach Jim Caserta.  (Jim played at Bowling Green in his own playing days and had been Head Coach at a couple of the Holland, MI area high schools until joining Stuursma's new staff.)

Gregory S:

You perhaps already were aware of this, however, did you know that Mike Conway was now coaching at Taylor University in Indiana after Lindenwood-Belleview (NAIA) dropped their football program earlier this year?  I recently saw that as well as his son Tyler is back coaching at Geneva College, although I am not sure where his other son Dakota is now coaching.  I often follow where assistant coaches from many of these schools go.  It is interesting to see where they end up if they don't stay most of their careers at one school, which is not as common as it was years ago. It sure must be difficult for the wives and kids, although that is simply the nature of the profession.   
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Gregory Sager

Yep. It was good to see Mike land on his feet like that after the LUB disaster. He's a good coach and a good man, and Taylor's a fine school where, although the Trojans are by no means an NAIA powerhouse on the gridiron, at least being a football coach isn't the dispiriting experience that NPU typically turns out to be. The only downside, apart from having to relocate himself and his wife Beth Ann again, was that he doesn't get to coach with Dakota again. I knew that T.D. was at Geneva because one of my nephews is a student there.

You're absolutely right about college coaching. It's one of those professions to which I've heard people say that if you don't absolutely love it and feel called to it, you shouldn't do it. The combination of stress within the profession itself along with the familial stress of the long hours and the regular relocations means that it's not for everybody.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

USee

Something to keep an eye on is the Pool C situation that is brewing for D3 this year. Adam Turer has an article on the front page that addresses it (as well as rankings) but North Central does not appear to be a lock for Pool C if they run the table (beating IWU in November).

Here are the current 1 loss Pool C teams based on SOS

1. Bethel - .691
2. Redlands - .651
3. Wesley - .648
4. UW-Platteville - .620
5. Susquehanna - .606
6. UW-Oshkosh - .605
7. Randolph-Macon - .584
8. Texas Lutheran - .573
9.  Baldwin Wallace - .548
10. Hardin Simmons - .534
11. North Central (Ill.) - .526
12. Linfield - .525 
13. Berry - .512

North Central obviously has the benefit of its only loss is to #5 Wheaton but 2 things are going to negatively affecting their ranking. 1-CNU is not very good this year 2-IWU's OT loss @UWL may well keep them from being ranked in the North which will limit NCC's record against Regionally Ranked Opponents (RRO) to 0-1. What's crazy is that, despite Adam Turer suggesting IWU is having an "off year", if they win that UWL game (by not fumbling in OT when in game winning FG position) they would be one of the higher ranked 1 loss teams.

If Pool C gets picked today it's probably Redlands, Wesley, Bethel and Susquehanna all going in the top 4 picks which leaves 1 pick left for potential 1 loss teams among: BW/JCU, NCC, UWP.

NCC's fate may well rest upon where the North RAC puts them in the regional rankings. Currently the OAC has JCU and BW as 1 loss teams and they play each other in week 11. Will a 1 loss NCC get ranked above a 1 loss OAC team (loss to Mt Union)? That's a tough call and how the North RAC ranks those teams may well determine what happens.

The caveat to all this is the likelihood that one or more of these teams drops a game over the next 4 weeks which makes much of this moot. CCIW fans should feel good about a 1 loss rep in the NCAA's in most years, but this year is shaping up to be a particularly competitive year for Pool C where 1 or more qualified teams dont' get a bid.

So #10 HSU lost  but all others held serve this week. #8 TLU still has to play UMHB in a couple weeks, Bethel still has St Thomas, UWP hosts UWO this week, Wesley and Redlands are likely going to win out. BW/JCU play each other the last week and both have one other possible upset (Etta and Berg respectively).  NCC may well benefit from WashU winning last weekend as it could result in WashU getting ranked in the region, which would be huge for NCC's RRO situation. I have to think NCC is going to get in if they win out, their SOS will improve by end of the year as well.

It also could benefit Wheaton in the discussion for #1 seeds that is looming.

hazzben

Quote from: USee on October 28, 2019, 12:06:29 PM
Something to keep an eye on is the Pool C situation that is brewing for D3 this year. Adam Turer has an article on the front page that addresses it (as well as rankings) but North Central does not appear to be a lock for Pool C if they run the table (beating IWU in November).

Here are the current 1 loss Pool C teams based on SOS

1. Bethel - .691
2. Redlands - .651
3. Wesley - .648
4. UW-Platteville - .620
5. Susquehanna - .606
6. UW-Oshkosh - .605
7. Randolph-Macon - .584
8. Texas Lutheran - .573
9.  Baldwin Wallace - .548
10. Hardin Simmons - .534
11. North Central (Ill.) - .526
12. Linfield - .525 
13. Berry - .512

North Central obviously has the benefit of its only loss is to #5 Wheaton but 2 things are going to negatively affecting their ranking. 1-CNU is not very good this year 2-IWU's OT loss @UWL may well keep them from being ranked in the North which will limit NCC's record against Regionally Ranked Opponents (RRO) to 0-1. What's crazy is that, despite Adam Turer suggesting IWU is having an "off year", if they win that UWL game (by not fumbling in OT when in game winning FG position) they would be one of the higher ranked 1 loss teams.

If Pool C gets picked today it's probably Redlands, Wesley, Bethel and Susquehanna all going in the top 4 picks which leaves 1 pick left for potential 1 loss teams among: BW/JCU, NCC, UWP.

The caveat to all this is the likelihood that one or more of these teams drops a game over the next 4 weeks which makes much of this moot. CCIW fans should feel good about a 1 loss rep in the NCAA's in most years, but this year is shaping up to be a particularly competitive year for Pool C where 1 or more qualified teams dont' get a bid.

So #10 HSU lost  but all others held serve this week. #8 TLU still has to play UMHB in a couple weeks, Bethel still has St Thomas, UWP hosts UWO this week, Wesley and Redlands are likely going to win out. BW/JCU play each other the last week and both have one other possible upset (Etta and Berg respectively).  NCC may well benefit from WashU winning last weekend as it could result in WashU getting ranked in the region, which would be huge for NCC's RRO situation. I have to think NCC is going to get in if they win out, their SOS will improve by end of the year as well.

It also could benefit Wheaton in the discussion for #1 seeds that is looming.

#6 UWO also lost in very lopsided fashion this week. If they bounce back against UWP, the WIAC is in tough shape for Pool C. Conversely, if UWP beats UWO, they will continue to strengthen their resume for the West and National Committees respectively.

ncc_fan

Randolph-Macon has yet to play Bridgewater, and will then either become front runner for the ODAC Pool A spot or pick up loss #2 and drop out of Pool C consideration.  Either way, RMC can be ignored in the Pool C discussion.  A RMC victory adds Bridgewater to the list of Pool C candidates.  Bridgewater's SOS is currently below 0.500, but will rise in the coming weeks.

USee

The Thunder travel to Waukesha to play Carroll today. The Thunder are obviously very talented across the board with difference makers on both sides. Their defense is ranked #1 in the country and their statistics on defense are mind blowing and stronger than any defense I can remember at Wheaton. They have a senior laden secondary and speed at LB with a guy in Ryan Schwartz that has more than capably filled the shoes of DPOY Eric Stevenson from last year. But the biggest reason they are #1 in defense, undefeated and a possible Stagg Bowl candidate is their defensive line. Their 4 man front are 4 of the top 7 tacklers on the team, which is unheard of for an entire defensive line. Though stats are not the only measure of a defensive line (due to styles of defense) here are some comparison's of Wheaton's front 4 to other national leaders:

Through 7 games:

DT Dallas McCrae 37 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks
DT Jake Holaday 34 tackles, 9 TFL, 2.5 sacks
DE Pat O'Connell 26 tackles, 9 TFL, 5 sacks
DE River Shindledecker 23 tackles, 8 TFL, 5.5 sacks

Compared with a mix of the pre-season D3.Com AA team and top 25 D3.Com DL leaders stats:

1st Team Pre season AA DE Andrew Roesch (Mt Union) 18 tackles, 6 TFL, 2 sacks
1st Team pre season AA DT Joey Longoria (UMHB) 40 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 2 sacks
1st Team Pre Season AA DT Conner Bogard (JCU) 42 tackles, 6 TFL, 3.5 sacks
1st Team Pre Season AA DE Frankie Feaster (Muhlenberg) 36 tackles, 15 TFL, 9 sacks
2nd Team Pre Season AA DE Michael Nobile (Del Val) 42 tackles, 20 TFL, 7.5 sacks
2nd Team Pre Season AA DT Taj Gooden (Weleyan) 22 tackles, 4.5 TFL, 0 sacks
2nd Team Pre Season AA DT D'On Coofer (Rhodes) 28 tackles, 5 TFL, 1.5 sacks
2nd Team Pre Season AA DE David Gajderowicz (Rowan) 24 tackles, 6 TFL, 2.5 sacks
3rd Team Pre Season AA DT Tommy Hyland (NCC) 15 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 sack

Other:
DE Emonte Smith (UMHB) 35 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5 sacks
DE Jordan Brand (UWW) 26 tackles, 7.5 TFL, 5 sacks
DL JW Windsor (St Johns) 19 tackles, 5 TFL, 4.5 sacks
DL John Hadac (Ithaca) 34 tackles, 10 TFL, 6.5 sacks

It's really impressive to have not just Dallas McCrae, who is a shoe in for DPOY in the league, but 4 DL among the nations  leaders in production from the top teams. While Wheaton is really good at a number of positions including RB, WR, OL and DB, anyone who really wants to know why Wheaton has taken a step up this year and is in the conversation for a deep run, look no further than those 4 dudes up front on defense.