BB: SUNYAC

Started by Ralph Turner, January 19, 2007, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Maxwell

Dr. Baseball,

I mis-spoke in my last post where I said:  "I don't know the boy from Hartwick, and havn'et looked a their numbers from last year, but from the kind of season they had I would tend to agree with Humpster."  I was reading your post to humpster... and should have said I agree with "Dr. Baseball".

I must have just typed in humpster becasue that was the name IN the post...

Plattsburgh will be an interesting team... they can hit and have some solid position players, BUT their pitching will be what deteremines how far they go.  Last year, Hoffman (82 IP) and Dahlin (61 IP) carried much of the load for them... Hoffman and his 83 IP is gone... so is Waldron (47 IP) so that is a lot of innings to replace.

With Dahlin having thrown so many innings he can't pick up all the slack from losing Hoffman.  Someone else will have to step up for them... Gent (37 IP, 5 starts) and Painter (34 IP, only 3 starts - was their primary relief pitcher) will need to pick up some big innings to fill that loss.   IF they are going to rely on the Kelly boy from Hartwick to carry the load of Hoffman, it will be tough based on his numbers from last year.  Someone else will have to step up and throw more innnings... I am guessing that all the returners may have to do that, with say 8-10 more innings a piece. 

I only counted 23 players and 8 pitchers on their roster?  Can that be correct?  If that is and they have any injuries or bad outtings they may be in for a long year on the mound...

hmmm... unless they come up with a couple more pitchers they may be balancing the season on the arms of a couple of guys... Gent, Paitner, Kelly and maybe VanHouton and Tracy ( I don't know anything about either of them...).  We will see what happens when we get on the field and start playing the games, Coach Doorey may have a couple of surprises we dont' know about!

Plattsburgh will be a team to watch and have to deal with on the field...  Onenota can't be counted out either, because of their returning experience on the mound (Weber, Locke, Juedes, Arfsten & Lawrence all may step up to fill the void from losing Salamida) and while they did lose several good postion players, they have some good hitters back too (Galutz & Martino). 

However, I still predict Brockport and Cortland to be the two teams who compete to host the tournament.  The first conferecne weekend will be a big one as they open with each other... 

Spree

John McGraw,

Is it just me, or does it seem like your hiding something about Basnight?  Sounds like cortland pulled some strings to get him on the field this year, or maybe....

You never know what kind of stunts teams can pull.  Do we have a possible scandal in the making?

d3fan039

Spree,

good point you make....I just hope something like that wouldnt be occuring, you really never know whats going on out there....you just hope for the sake of the young men playing that nothing like that would ever happen.

4 days til baseball opens for the sunyac ;D

Any preason predictions for the ALL SUNYAC team???

John McGraw

No, I know as much as everyone else does in this situation. I was just playing the role of Captain Obvious.

No need to bandy about accusations without facts. Really, it sounds like sour grapes.

d3fan039

John,

what more facts do you need.....I already stated that this boy played in games during the second half of the season during his freshman year. Can't anyone be curious of why he was granted another year of eligibilty....obviously Im not the only one who finds this subject interesting.

hitforthecycle

For you people to question any program in regards to playing an ineligible young man is absurd!  It sounds as if you people are just looking for something to talk about because of personal envy.  One player does not make a season and is in no way worth jeopardizing the integrity of a program.  Do you think the team that you support in the SUNYAC would do such a thing?  I'm not a Cortland fan but I do feel for a young man who isn't able to defend himself from accusations regarding his eligibility.    

Bob Maxwell

While I am the one who said that he played in games in the second half of his freshman year... I also said that we don't know what  may have been in any waiver application... so we won't know exactly what happend.  It is best left at that. 

With all the safeguards in place to check on eligibility and academic progress I feel that, as John said... there is no way that any school would put someone on a roster and play the individual, in any sport that has not cleared all the eligibility hurdles.  ESPECIALLY one who has their sights on competeing for a possible championship. 

I know a coulpe of the administrators at Cortland and there is no way they would let someone play even if their is a sniff of something being wrong.  They would check and double check to be sure that all the "I's " are dotted and "T's" crossed before anyone would be allowed to play.  I work in this enviroment daily and things are checked out thoroughly...

Lets leave it at that and talk about baseball...

1) Does anyone know anything about any freshman coiming on to a SUNYAC roster that may have an impact on the season?

2) Or anymore transfers who may impact the season?  WE already know about Coromato to Cortland (from Oswego), Rose to Brockport (from LeMoyne) and un-SUNYAC Wolf to Ithaca (from Buffalo)

Bob Maxwell

Forgot to list Matt Kelly to Plattsburgh (from hartwick)...

Does anyone know if anyone else from Hartwick transfered into the SUNYAC?

BoomerIL

Spree.....

Your right, Sullivan is out with that hernia.  Kind of counted on him for some leadership with the newer players.  Talked with him a few times when we visited campus.  Thought he did fairly well at MCC.  I think its going to be a tough loss for us.
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

Spree

Guys,

I recall an article in the Democrat and Chronicle back in the fall about an eligibility issue at Brockport.  A football player got away with playing games without even being registered for classes at the school.

If thats possible, anything is...

Bob Maxwell

Spree,

that is correct... he did it without the schools knowledge.  Some how it was missed, so like you say, anything is possible.

That is one of three similar situations that impacted teams by having to forfiet games won that I know if within New York State.

It is rare that it happens, but it does happen...  Also, there are a multitude of ways to get a waiver for many different situations.  And if that happens, the information is confidential so we will never know... the thing to do is to trust that it has been properly dealt with and move on.

d3fan039

anyone have preseason predictions on the ALL SUNYAC team

or top players in the conference??

Bob Maxwell

Dr. Baseball...

Now we have to do home work... thanks a lot!

;D

A quick run through the rosters by John's friend "Captain Obvious"... for players who should at least be in the mix:

C Mike Zaccardo, Cortland & Dan Murphy, Fredonia
1B Todd Hughes, Plattsburgh, Jim Kunkemoeller, Fredonia & Travis Robinson, Cortland
2B Zack Welch, Plattsburgh & Joe Russo, Cortland
SS Tim Wilson, Brockport & Tom Ferrel, Oswego
3B Tony Shallow, Brockport  & John DeKams, New Paltz
OF Brandon Galutz, Oneonta
OF Dan Maycock, Cortland
OF Jamie Rose, Brockport
OF Nick Perioli, Oswego
OF Tony Coromato, Cortland
UT Rob Maxwell, Brockport
UT Matt Dahlin, Plattsburgh
P Jim Dougher, Cortland
P Jake Dennstedt, Brockport
P Mike Zgorzelski, Cortland
P Erik Weber, Oneonta

I know I missed a lot of guys who merit consideration... but this is just a quick pass through the teams from memory.

What does everyone else think?

Maybe 3 weeks into the conference season (4/16) we can see where anyone we mention stands and also look at an all freshman team too.  If anyone wants to put out a list of names I will keep track of them to see who is the closest at the end of the season.  Picks need to be in by Monday 3/19 to be considered.  I put up 22 names... so that is the cap on the number.  Lets here someone else's picks...

Bob Maxwell

OK, a couple of the boys I named may be a reach... but I have a feeling about them.  Capatin Obvious went over the possibilities with me at dinner today...

Can't wait to hear ohter predicitions...

HotSoupTrio

Western NY High School Baseball coach here:

I have been keeping track of the posts, I cant quite remember who posted about the Brockport infield, if I remember correctly I believe that Brockport also lost their starting first baseman, Sparks last year.

I don't think enough attention is being paid to the Basnight situation, don't really know all the facts, but it seems intriguing....

My early predictions for SUNYAC tournament
1)Cortland
2)Brockport
3)Plattsburgh
4)New Paltz

Looking forward to a good season, good luck to all