BB: SUNYAC

Started by Ralph Turner, January 19, 2007, 02:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Maxwell

Humpster,

What are your reasons for picking Plattsburgh numbr 2?  that seems to go against the concenus... but then there are only a half dozen or so making any points.  Let us know why you feel they will be there... and what you think of the other teams as well...

And welcome to the discussion to you, Spree and Dr. Baseball too!

d3fan039

So whats the deal with Basnight....last I knew you were only allowed to participate in 4 years on NCAA athletics. If memory serves me right I recall him playing his Freshman year at St Bonaventure (as I followed a close family friend that played their with him) and the past 3 seasons at Cortland? 

Interesting hes still able to play....maybe your allowed 5 seasons now lol

7 days til the games begin  ;D

Bob Maxwell

Dr. Baseball...

7 days until the games begin... does that mean your a New Paltz fan?  Or was that just a reference to the first SUNYAC team opening in 7 days?

Good question on Bashnight... He has only been at Cortland for 3 years, played more then 40 gaems each year so that he didn't have an injury hardship with them.  The St. Bonaventure baseball page only has stats bach to 2004, nothing for 2003 when he would have  been a freshman...  di dhe play all year?  If he did, I can't see how he would still be eligible.  Do you have any data from St. Bona 2003?

Interesting...

Bob Maxwell

Dr. Baseball,

Your correct... Jim Bashnight did play for St. bonaventure in 2003... so he has played 4 years of collegeiate baseball.  St. Bonaventure or the Atlantic 10 conference doesnt' have any archives in their baseball pages for 2003, but I checked some box scores for other teams and he did play in the second half of the season... so he was not eligible to qualify for a medical hardship.

Wonder what is going on?

As I said, interesting...

hitforthecycle

Bob, with all due respect it sounds like you have way too much time on your hands! 

Bob Maxwell

Cycle,

I wish I did... I post with one hand and eye, and use the other hand and eye for the office work.  I've learned to multi-task from my kids....

;D

John McGraw

If Basnight wasn't cleared by the NCAA to participate this season, he wouldn't be on the roster.

d3fan039

Interesting that he wouldve been cleared though for playing in a game in the 2nd half of the season his freshman year at Bonaventure

d3fan039

An injury is one thing but just not receiving the playing time should not be a reason to be granted another year of eligibility. I'm sure there are many other cases out there where kids didn't get playing time as freshman and they never received a 5th year of eligibility. Im just wondering what the reason was that the NCAA allowed him to have another year.

Bob Maxwell

John,

Your right... there is now way he would be on a roster or get on the field if it wasn't cleared through the compliance people.  Just wonder what happened where he is still eligible.  There are a lot of things that can cause things to happen... and not having the inside information to any waiver request means we won't know.

As I said, it is interesting......

Humpster

Bob,
   I like Plattsburgh at #2 because even though they lost Hoffman they picked
up Matt Kelly from Hartwick and Matt Dahlin returned. Don't forget they beat Brockport not once but twice last year.

Bob Maxwell

I was not aware of who they picked up... Dahlin is a solid pitcher, and he will have to be the one who picks up many of the innings and match ups that Hoffman pitched last year.

Yes they did beat them twice, both close games... and unearned runs were the factor in the first game... so it could have been a split.  I know, I can hear everyone saying the errors are part of the game... and I agree with that.  both games were close and could have gone either way.

The series this season may be a big one in the conference that could finalize where both teams finish... as it is the last weekend of the conference season.

I think both Brockport and Plattsburgh will be in the tournament... just not sure what seed they will be.

d3fan039

Humpster,

Dahlin is a quality arm and should be a workhouse this year....but if your counting on a kid from Hartwick that wasnt even a .500 pitcher and had a 7.11 era with opponents hittting .356 off him to win you SUNYAC games.....with all do respect i just cant see that happening, unless this kid is better than the numbers are showing. Your correct about Plattsburgh beating Brockport twice last year and I believed they put it to them the previous year scoring over 20 runs in one of the games in Brockport. Plattsburgh seems to be a good regular season team, but i cant recall them ever winning a game come playoffs? Brockport has been to the title game, and just a few years ago played in the World Series. I still think this is Cortlands Conference to lose....but between Brockport and Plattsburgh I think Brockport has a little more experience.

Bob Maxwell

I don't know the boy from Hartwick, and havn'et looked a their numbers from last year, but from the kind of season they had I would tend to agree with Humpster.  And yes, Dahlin will have to be the work horse that Hoffman was for them to continue... but he threw 61 innings last year so he can't pick up much more.  So it looks to me to be a trade of Hoffman for Kelly and a couple freshman.

We will see how they handle it... when the big games come up.  Not sure who is on Plattsburghs early schedule, but konw that Brockport has 2 with Keene,  1 each with Montclair state & Marrietta and 2 with Mount Union before they start the SUNYAC games.  So they should be tested against some good teams before conference play starts.

I still say the double header on 4/22 will be a very important day and should be some very good baseball.  These games may deteremine the matcups for the tournament...

Only 6 days to SUNYAC teams get on the field and play begins!!!  14 days for brockport...

The two games in 2005... while yes Plattsburgh did win them in a very convincing fashion, were not a true read on either team.  As after the first inning of the first game the weather kicked in and the rest of the 15 innings were played in a constant rain/drizzle and winds of 15-20 mph, gusts into the 30's.  Yes, both teams played in the same conditions, but it was not a true measure of what either team was made of... there were several balls that went up in the air and outfielders ran in on them and they went over the fences, or blew a hundred feet from where they started as IF's & OF's both ran around after them... 

The games were only completed because of the great surface on the Clark V. Whited complex... if they were in a lot of other places the field would hav ebeen unplayable after an inning or two.

It was one of those days that when you experience the wrong side of; you get through it and it is over with.  You know the next day that your not either that bad or that good.  It is over and you move on...

d3fan039

Bob,

You would tend to agree with Humpster??? What are you agreeing with that the boy from Hartwick(3-4 7.11era .350 oppponents BA) will be the difference in putting Plattsburgh ahead on the likes of Bport??