WBB: City University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by mpsting, December 03, 2004, 09:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbald eagle

Does anybody here care that Baruch is in the NCAA tournament?   ???  The silence on this board is deafening.   :'(

NYCGATORfan

Of course! This year's Baruch team may be the most talented women's basketball team in the history of the Cuynyac!

bbald eagle

No wonder D3's pretournament calls suggest maybe they could upset Mary Washington, then. We'll see tomorrow night.

Zak Ivkovic

I have to say that the folks at D3 hoops have done a great job explaining what a raw deal both Baruch and Mary Washington got in being put up against each other in the first round. The committee dropped the ball big time on this one. If you know anything about Baruch and even if you don't, there is no way that you have a 22-6 team play at the #5 team in the nation and have a 15-13 team in the same bracket play someone else. Where is the logic here ????
Clearly it has nothing to do with travel as is often the scenario in first round games in not having teams travel great distances or incur large costs...do they even feel the need to explain such a decision...

Pat Coleman

I would hope you can get an explanation from someone -- there is no need to protect regular-season non-conference opponents from facing each other again.

I mean, if that were the case, why didn't they keep DeSales and Muhlenberg from facing each other again?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

balla4real78

Wow, I think we would be going to far saying the best team of all-time in CUNY, that would be a little excessive. Good team, but not the greatest of all-time. I also dont see what the fuss is about playing Mary Washington in the first round, Baruch is no national power, they beat Messiah on a bad day at home, they havent beat anyone else, so I dont think they are on an even scale with Mary Washington, lets be realistic, if we want to talk about a game that shouldnt have been a first round match-up, #25 St. Norbert vs. #13 Stevens Point! Thats not a first round match-up.

Zak Ivkovic

While you have a point here regarding the Norbert game, then by the same standards you are throwing out why Bridgewater at 15-13 is better off than Baruch at 22-6 ??? That is the point - they are in the same bracket and at the same location and Baruch gets to play the #5 team in the nation. WHom did Bridgewater play and beat in the top 20? Out of Baruch's first 5 non-conference games,  were vs. top 20 teams at the time.

The national committee really needs to stop playing nationally ranked teams against each other in the first round - that really kills the entire seeding process.

NYCGATORfan

Quote from: balla4real78 on March 08, 2008, 11:16:36 AM
Wow, I think we would be going to far saying the best team of all-time in CUNY, that would be a little excessive. Good team, but not the greatest of all-time. I also dont see what the fuss is about playing Mary Washington in the first round, Baruch is no national power, they beat Messiah on a bad day at home, they havent beat anyone else, so I dont think they are on an even scale with Mary Washington, lets be realistic, if we want to talk about a game that shouldnt have been a first round match-up, #25 St. Norbert vs. #13 Stevens Point! Thats not a first round match-up.

Can you name a better CUNYac women's basketball team in the history of the conference? Considering the conference's lack of postseason success (Baruch's 05-06 team is the only CUNYac school to win a D3 game), the conference's dearth of impressive wins, and the fact that Baruch had some exceptional performances this year (only losing by two to a DII school, and beating a very talented Messiah team) is there anyone better?

Maybe Baruch's team from two years ago, but I doubt that there is some ultra-talented CUNY team from year's past that my statement is disrespecting. And if there is, let me know. History lessons are fun, and my knowledge of the CUNYac's past is pretty limited.

balla4real78

Well before Baruch College won their 2nd championship, their were CUNY powers like Hunter and Staten Island. The Staten Island teams which featured Tara Gagliardo, Maureen Keag, and who could forgot the years of Kim Thompson and Jaclyn Rock, the CSI teams were some of the best in CUNY. Hunter also was good with Tanika Hurtt, Diana Olaya, and those cast of players. This Baruch team is good, but far from legendary.

Theweeezul

Quote from: balla4real78 on March 10, 2008, 09:42:34 AM
Well before Baruch College won their 2nd championship, their were CUNY powers like Hunter and Staten Island. The Staten Island teams which featured Tara Gagliardo, Maureen Keag, and who could forgot the years of Kim Thompson and Jaclyn Rock, the CSI teams were some of the best in CUNY. Hunter also was good with Tanika Hurtt, Diana Olaya, and those cast of players. This Baruch team is good, but far from legendary.

It's impressive that you can find the time to knock Baruch on the CUNY board, and CAC board.

There is a big difference between this Baruch team, and the Hunter and CSI teams of years past.  None of those teams were getting respect on the national level.  While the Hunter's and CSI's were beating up on CUNY teams in their heyday, Baruch has been able to defeat some of the best teams in the country.  #1/2 ranked NYU was upset by Baruch in Machli Joseph's first year, and now won't even think about re-scheduling them.  They also hold victories against #18 McDaniel in 05-06 and #4 Messiah this year.  Most importantly, the 05-06 Baruch team is the only CUNY team on the women's side to win a NCAA game, beating Mount St. Mary's on their homecourt. 

There appears to be some sort of vendetta you hold against Baruch.  It is clouding your judgment when it comes to talking basketball.  This Baruch team is helping put CUNY on the map, trying to earn respect towards a conference that historically has been the laughing stock of Division III. 

hoop junkie

Whats the early thoughts on the 08-09 CUNY season? Who are the favorites, is it still Baruch, Staten Island, Lehman and Hunter, or are there some new kids on the block looking to get involved.

hoop junkie

I will be the pioneer of this site. With the season starting next week, will give my predictions for the CUNY women:

East
1.  Baruch
2.  Lehman
3.  CCNY
4.  Hunter
5.  John Jay

West
1.  Staten Island
2.  Brooklyn
3.  York
4.  Medgar Evers
5.  City Tech

Anyone have any opinions?

hoop junkie

Great to see a CUNY face on the pre-season All-American team! Sally Nnamani from Lehman is a fourth team D3 hoops pre-season All-American, congrats. What is the rest of the conference talent shaping up as.. Does Lehman still return Whitley Barnes? That duo could be tough.

Pat Coleman

Hang in there -- hopefully there will be more CUNYAC posters soon.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hoop junkie

Is there anyone else excited that the season is underway. Great win for the conference today as Staten Island defeated Stevens Tech. Also saw Lehman had a good win over St. Joseph's, and CCNY defeated MIT. Good to see this type of start for CUNY teams. Anyone know why the York game was postponed? Waiting on the Amherst-NYC Tech game, should not be pretty!