MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3HoopJunkie

Very much looking forward to our matchup tomorrow night with WPI. This should be a great contest between two well coached teams with a lot of talent on the floor.

WPI89 - I always like to check in and get the opinion from a "homer" on the broadcast feed. Would you be able to enlighten me on WPI's setup? I am sure being the engineering school that it is, it will be of good quality! Is there play by play announcing as well?

Best of luck to WPI tomorrow evening! This one could come down to the final possession!

WPI89

Babo and Junkie. Yes very fun competitive matchup tonight.

YOUNG with a capital everything will be the theme for WPI this year. Tonight will be an incredible first test. Frosh class should be best in quite some time. We will be bigger than recent years and maybe deeper. Will remain to be seen if we have that someone special to deliver offensively in crunch time. 3 in NEWMAC is fair. Babson and WPI will be the teams MIT/Springfield hate to play for sure.

Announcers do a good job. One court level camera angle prevents me from saying top top quality broadcast. But you will not be dissspointed. Announcers keep it fair and you won't miss any action.

Long time court announcer will be missed greatly as background. He had a classic Worcester voice and loved all things local sports!

Good luck to you and Coach Oliver this year Junkie.

amh63

WPI89....Hi back to you too :).  Was in your area recently as I went up to Homecoming this weekend,
Anyway, just dropped in on the Video of the WPI game tonight...good band, etc.  Left to check in on the Big Springfield vs Keene State game.  no audio/broadcaster and lots of technical trouble.  Could use some WPI expertise :).
Best of luck to your team this season.  Maybe our teams will meet in the post season? 

BaboNation

Big win for WPI, but the bigger news for D3 basketball is Jake Ross left the Springfield game very early.
Caught only the early 2nd half video to hear the play-by-play guy say Ross was in street clothes with his arm in a sling.

WPI89

Jake news is a buzzkill. I was coming in to brag about opening night but will respect that news and hope it is a minor injury.

Great start engineers!

God Speed, young Mr Ross.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Ross had an opposing player roll over his shoulder fighting for the ball.  A local Keene Sentinel reporter caught it on camera:

https://twitter.com/JMSheehanKS/status/1062513263068487680
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

gordonmann

Did the announcer make a mistake on the arm sling or was it possibly two injuries?

amh63

Wish the best for mr. Ross...a great talent.  A question for the board posters here......if the injury/injuries to Ross is/are major ones that take time to heal, should he sit out? What is the rules in D3 to get a "redshirt" semester/year?  Has Mr. Ross already played in too many games to qualify? 

rlk

Quote from: BaboNation on November 13, 2018, 09:04:11 PM
Big win for WPI, but the bigger news for D3 basketball is Jake Ross left the Springfield game very early.
Caught only the early 2nd half video to hear the play-by-play guy say Ross was in street clothes with his arm in a sling.

That's very unfortunate.  I hope that was just a precaution of some kind and that he'll be OK soon.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

nescac1

Hope Ross is OK and that is a shoulder separation rather than a break or torn ligaments.  Amh63, if the injury was serious, he could take a medical redshirt because he has not played in 25 percent of his team's games (FYI, Amherst's promising soph McCarthy can do the same if he so chooses).  For Ross, I imagine that option would be intriguing because then he could finish his degree at Springfield and easily play D1 hoops for a year as a grad student -- I am sure he would be in much demand up to around the mid-major level.  But of course, hopefully that will not be necessary and he can return in the next few weeks or so. 

BaboNation

Quote from: gordonmann on November 14, 2018, 12:58:11 PM
Did the announcer make a mistake on the arm sling or was it possibly two injuries?

I'm pretty sure it was one injury.  He was taken out of the game within the first 5 minutes and never returned.  The audio/video were out until the 2nd half, so whatever additional information might have been available never made it to air.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: amh63 on November 14, 2018, 01:46:01 PM
Wish the best for mr. Ross...a great talent.  A question for the board posters here......if the injury/injuries to Ross is/are major ones that take time to heal, should he sit out? What is the rules in D3 to get a "redshirt" semester/year?  Has Mr. Ross already played in too many games to qualify?

He's well below the threshold if that was necessary. The number tends to be around seven games most years.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

BaboNation

I suppose many folks will wake up stunned to hear that MIT got rolled up by Endicott 90-73, but this wasn't exactly UMBC over UVA.
No one should sleep on Endicott.  Per their own recap, they are now 3-2 against ranked opponents in their last 5 games.  I remember one of those vividly - last year's blitz of Babson at Babson when Keith Brown went off for 45.
Brown is still someone who demands constant attention but Endicott has a deep roster that can fill it up.  (Special recognition should be given to Endicott for having an entire roster from New England).

For this game Endicott couldn't miss from 3-pt range.  I thought MIT provided a little too much extra help on Brown, leaving other shooters with too much space.  Just not MIT's night.  Indicative of the Engineers' struggles was when Korb (85% at the line) got fouled attempting a 3-pointer and missed all 3 FTs.
I also thought the MIT offensive was too 3-pt centric from the start when they had a distinct size advantage.  I'd rather have seen Jurko out top, looking to drive or feed Jomard or Roberts inside, or Forsythe and Hinkley on the wings.  But when you get down by 23 and the other team is raining 3's it's hard to avoid the temptation to get points in a hurry.

MIT will be just fine.

NEhoops

Great early season road win for Endicott. Both of these teams will pop up in the regional rankings as the season goes on. As Babo said, MIT will shoot it better on most nights and will win a lot of games.

Endicott coach Kevin Bettencourt has really found his niche from a recruiting standpoint and is one of the top up and coming coaches in the in Northeast as he continues to build upon a very impressive resume.

Peabody HS (MA) - all time leading scorer
Bucknell - three time All-Patriot League selection; led team to an upset over Kansas in NCAA tournament
Salem State - assistant
Bentley - assistant

BaboNation

Quote from: NEhoops on November 16, 2018, 08:36:10 AM
Great early season road win for Endicott. Both of these teams will pop up in the regional rankings as the season goes on. As Babo said, MIT will shoot it better on most nights and will win a lot of games.

Endicott coach Kevin Bettencourt has really found his niche from a recruiting standpoint and is one of the top up and coming coaches in the in Northeast as he continues to build upon a very impressive resume.

Peabody HS (MA) - all time leading scorer
Bucknell - three time All-Patriot League selection; led team to an upset over Kansas in NCAA tournament
Salem State - assistant
Bentley - assistant

Good info.  Absolutely hats off to the coaching staff for such strong recruiting in a VERY competitive market, particularly among D3 schools. 
On top of that, it hasn't been that long (relatively speaking) for men to be admitted to the college.  Wheaton in the NEWMAC had a similar strong burst in athletics after admitting men.