MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Carthage also has its 2013-14 varsity schedule and roster posted.

With regard to the roster------>http://athletics.carthage.edu/roster.aspx?roster=137&path=mbball
NOTE only 11 players are listed. And, Malcom Kelly, who it was previously widely publicized would be returning this year, is not listed. School began last Wednesday in Kenosha. Has "grandpa" retired?  :-\

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: URockets on September 05, 2013, 12:05:30 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on September 04, 2013, 10:59:36 PM
Sporting News pre-season poll has IWU at #3 and North Central and Wheaton also in the top 10.  Looks like a great season upcoming of very competitive CCIW hoops.  May be surprises from Millikin and Augie, too.  New coach likely doing a great job at Elmhurst. 

Full article on the IWU website now, link to the full poll.  Dylan Overstreet named pre-season All-American, honorable mention.

Football first, but very much looking forward to a great CCIW basketball season come November.

IWU70

And the #3 ranking is based on the returning team from last year only, and not the added potential of two D1 transfers.

The NESCAC page [including #1 ranked Williams supporters] has several posters insisting that IWU is #1.  I'd be pleased, except I vividly remember 2006.  I only care about #1 in the POSTseason poll! ;D

For the record, NCC is ranked #5 and Wheaton #7.

Question:  does Sporting News employ anyone who even knows what D3 is? :P

iwu70

I was surprised to see that Sporting News had a DIII pre-season basketball poll at all. :o

Without "Grandpa," Carthage is a far far weaker team for the coming year.  One of the better, tougher players I've seen in CCIW play in the past 5-6 years.  Going all season with just 11 is going to be tough, too.  Guess no JV schedule for CC.

WC, NC, and AC will be tough, perhaps MU too.

IWU70 

My pre-season CCIW poll:  IWU, WC, AC, NCC, MU, EC, CC, NPU.   What say you, gentlemen chatsters?  Coaches will vote their poll soon enough. 

Titan Q

Quote from: AndOne on September 10, 2013, 12:43:49 AM

With regard to the roster------>http://athletics.carthage.edu/roster.aspx?roster=137&path=mbball
NOTE only 11 players are listed. And, Malcom Kelly, who it was previously widely publicized would be returning this year, is not listed. School began last Wednesday in Kenosha. Has "grandpa" retired?  :-\

I'm pretty sure Carthage just listed their 11 returning players for now.  There are no FR listed, and we know Carthage will have FR on the roster.

As far as Malcom Kelly, I saw the following tweet recently...

Mark Miller ‏@WisBBYearbook 30 Aug
After sitting out last season, former Kenosha Reuther star Malcom Kelly is expected to return to the Carthage basketball program for 2013-14

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Titan Q on September 10, 2013, 07:20:37 AM

I'm pretty sure Carthage just listed their 11 returning players for now.  There are no FR listed, and we know Carthage will have FR on the roster.

After sitting out last season, former Kenosha Reuther star Malcom Kelly is expected to return to the Carthage basketball program for 2013-14

Exactly. Have to read rosters closely in the offseason. They don't always mean much.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bopol

Carthage isn't exactly known for updated their website with intent of close examination, but, since AndOne brought it up, I'll note that Steve Jaskulske is also off the roster listed and Dave Roehl (assistant coach) isn't listed as well.

AndOne

I don't remember hearing that Jaskulske was really expected to return. Perhaps more wishful thinking on the part of Carthage.
However, if Kelly is returning but not yet listed, Jaskulske could be in the same boat.

AndOne

Should the tweet prove true, it will be great news for "Grandpa" Kelly, but bad news for the rest of the conference. Least we forget, Mr. Kelly was the 2011-2012 conference scoring champion!

iwu70

Yes, if Gramps Kelley were to return, I might move CC up one or two spots in my earlier posted pre-season expert Sheldonian "suck it out of my thumb" CCIW roundball poll.   :)  Let's hope CC has more than 11 varsity players suiting it up this coming season.  It's a long, tough season even with a full house, and lots of newbies riding the varsity and JV pine. 

IWU70

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 10, 2013, 01:08:02 AMQuestion:  does Sporting News employ anyone who even knows what D3 is? :P

Chuck Mistovich has been covering small-college hoops for the Sporting News and Basketball Digest for decades. I can remember reading his column back in the '80s, hoping for a mention of North Park.

But he's one man who is asked to cover about 1,000 teams on the D2, D3, and NAIA levels. The evidence of recent years -- including this year's Sporting News D3 preseason poll -- is that he doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of the division anymore. No surprise there, and no offense intended towards Mr. Mistovich; it's simply too big a task for one man.

I think it's very safe to say that the only D3 preseason poll that's really worth discussing is the one provided by this website.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: iwu70 on September 10, 2013, 02:27:59 AMWithout "Grandpa," Carthage is a far far weaker team for the coming year.  One of the better, tougher players I've seen in CCIW play in the past 5-6 years.  Going all season with just 11 is going to be tough, too.  Guess no JV schedule for CC.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 10, 2013, 01:32:46 PM

Exactly. Have to read rosters closely in the offseason. They don't always mean much.

My thoughts as well. Some of you are getting a little overheated in this blistering early September swelter. ;) For crying out loud, the first day of practice is still more than a month away. Right now, D3 SIDs like Steve Marovich at Carthage are overwhelmed just with the task of keeping up with fall sports. Finalizing winter-sport rosters is the last thing on their minds right now. It's not at all unusual for SIDs to perform a "housecleaning" operation on rosters over the summer, excising seniors and updating coaching changes. It means absolutely nothing as far as the final rosters are concerned.

I don't think any of us has even the slightest clue about Malcom Kelly's intentions, secondhand tweets or housecleaned preliminary rosters included. If someone who is actually on the Carthage campus who has seen and spoken to Malcom (or to a Carthage coach or another Carthage player) and has some actual useful information would like to speak up, then we'd have something. Until then ... just chill, people. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 11, 2013, 11:38:06 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 10, 2013, 01:08:02 AMQuestion:  does Sporting News employ anyone who even knows what D3 is? :P

Chuck Mistovich has been covering small-college hoops for the Sporting News and Basketball Digest for decades. I can remember reading his column back in the '80s, hoping for a mention of North Park.

But he's one man who is asked to cover about 1,000 teams on the D2, D3, and NAIA levels. The evidence of recent years -- including this year's Sporting News D3 preseason poll -- is that he doesn't really have his finger on the pulse of the division anymore. No surprise there, and no offense intended towards Mr. Mistovich; it's simply too big a task for one man.

I think it's very safe to say that the only D3 preseason poll that's really worth discussing is the one provided by this website.

I've known Chuck Mistovich for over 40 years.  He got his start as SID at Ashland College in Ohio, when coach Bill Musselman made them a national college division power by taking the air out of the ball.  Chuck has to be in his seventies by now.
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

tyrone

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 11, 2013, 11:38:06 AM

...as evidenced by Wheaton's Nathan Haynes being named a Second Team preseason All-America, while Nathan Hayes merely got an Honorable Mention nod.

iwu70

Greg, as usual, you are so so right. But, it's very hard to "chill" in Hong Kong. Still in the 90s with super high humidity here, even through late September.   Sorry.  Yes, some actual sightings for Mssr. Kelley on the Carthage campus, maybe even in a classroom, would be most helpful.  Gramps would be a force in CCIW play, should he return this season. 

Looking forward to the football season first -- with some great games upcoming between IWU, WC, and NCC, perhaps some others too.  We'll see.

Hope the "chill" fall air is coming your way by now.

IWU70

havej