FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

widebasepanther and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

PolarCat

Quote from: westcoastDad on October 13, 2017, 01:08:34 AM
D1 football is loaded with dual threat QBs.  NESCAC seems more TB12 style.

Maimaron is definitely dual threat.  And if TB12 could scramble like Tufts' MacDonald, he wouldn't be taking all these hits, and could play till he is 60.  MacDonald may not be dual threat in the way you meant, but God, can he extend plays.

And Gernald Hawkins was a baller.  Fun to watch, less fun to play against.

JoeBag

Quote from: PolarCat on October 12, 2017, 11:04:12 PM
Question for the Trinity folks on here: What is Devaney's red shirt policy?

The reason I ask is I just saw that one of my son's prep school teammates is on the Bants' roster.  He is a 2018.  Didn't make the team in 2014, 2015, or 2016.  Yet there he is in the roster his senior year.  As far as I can tell from the stats on the website, he hasn't played a snap, but he's on the roster. 

Is that SOP for Devanney?  Is a kid that doesn't make the team as a FY encouraged to come back every year and keep trying?  (Seems kind of unfair to all the kids who were recruited and cut).

Redshirting is only allowed if the player is injured or sick and has to sit out a year.
Players that are cut are allowed to hang on the sideline with the team on game days, not sure what else......
I have heard that he encourages kids who were cut to keep working and try out the next year, but I am not aware of anyone actually making the team the subsequent year.

Sorry, there is no "fairness" in football, nor should there be. The player that gives his team the best chance to be successful should always make the team and get more playing time. Getting recruited does not guarantee you a job.

ColbyFootball

JoeBag writes "Sorry, there is no "fairness" in football, nor should there be. The player that gives his team the best chance to be successful should always make the team and get more playing time. Getting recruited does not guarantee you a job."

I agree to a great extent, football is about earning your spot, and your time. But, seniority and dedication to the program should also be worth something. I'm guessing you and I agree on this.

fulbakdad

Not sure it there's a separate NESCAC rule, but the NCAA rules (as I understand them) only limit number of years played (rostered) on a team.  So if the kid wasn't connected to the team, he wasn't losing time....

Bombers798891

Quote from: ColbyFootball on October 13, 2017, 08:34:01 AM

I agree to a great extent, football is about earning your spot, and your time. But, seniority and dedication to the program should also be worth something. I'm guessing you and I agree on this.

In a previous career, I worked for a trade magazine that wrote articles directed towards coaches. And many, many times, we had coaches tell us that dealing with seniors on a struggling or rebuilding team was incredibly tricky and unpredictable. One coach told me (and I'm paraphrasing): The worst thing you can do when you're trying to change things is just cast aside your seniors because they're not part of your long term plans. Even if you aren't going to be playing them as much (or at all), they need to buy into what you're doing. Sometimes the seniors get it, sometimes they don't.

But even if you decide that you're going to play the "better" younger player, you can't just come in and re-write the two deep. This was especially true, we were often told, if the senior was a well-liked and respected guy in the locker room.

I'm not trying to say any of these schools are doing it wrong. But I've talked to a lot of coaches about this stuff, and it runs way deeper than "The player that gives his team the best chance to be successful should always make the team and get more playing time"

PBPOP20

Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 13, 2017, 09:51:27 AM

In a previous career, I worked for a trade magazine that wrote articles directed towards coaches. And many, many times, we had coaches tell us that dealing with seniors on a struggling or rebuilding team was incredibly tricky and unpredictable. One coach told me (and I'm paraphrasing): The worst thing you can do when you're trying to change things is just cast aside your seniors because they're not part of your long term plans. Even if you aren't going to be playing them as much (or at all), they need to buy into what you're doing. Sometimes the seniors get it, sometimes they don't.

But even if you decide that you're going to play the "better" younger player, you can't just come in and re-write the two deep. This was especially true, we were often told, if the senior was a well-liked and respected guy in the locker room.

I'm not trying to say any of these schools are doing it wrong. But I've talked to a lot of coaches about this stuff, and it runs way deeper than "The player that gives his team the best chance to be successful should always make the team and get more playing time"

Great point.   Very tricky...   from personal experience I can tell you there is a stark divide in Brunswick for support of JB Wells (from parents).   Strong support from underclassmen and lots of criticism from upperclassmen recruited by his predecessor...  there's an undertone that JB favors guys he brought in.   

Understandable sentiment if Johnny was pre-JB and sees a younger guy take his spot.   But,  from my perspective,  JB is handling this challenge extremely well.   He defers to the upperclassmen if it's close, giving them a chance before putting a younger guy in.   Again, my perspective, changes he's made to put younger guys in 100% the right call from objective observers view.

JoeBag

Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 13, 2017, 09:51:27 AM
Quote from: ColbyFootball on October 13, 2017, 08:34:01 AM

I agree with both you and "Colbyfootball". The operative word is "should", but as we know, this is not always the case.

Nescacman

2017 Week #5 NESCACMAN Preview

Welcome to Week 5 in the NESCAC..."the league where they pay to play". Last week we went 4-1, we are 13-2 for the season and are 141-39 for our career picking NESCAC games. Two surprises last week as MID beat Amhurst on the road and the upstart Ephs rolled it up on the UB Bobcats.  Week 4 features Hartford State's first test of the year as they travel to Tufts in the NESCAC GOTW.

University of Bates (Lewiston Campus) at Wesleyan University: Bates has given up at least 37 points in every game this year and gives up 44 points per game. Meanwhile, their offense is 9th in the NESCAC in yards per game, last in first downs, and 8th in points per game. Wes is number one in the league in total offense, passing, first downs, third down made percentage and 2nd in red zone success (to a Bowdoin team that has only been in the red zone 5x). The Wes defense is stout as well leading the NESCAC in rushing yards allowed per game, which does not bode well for the Bates run fist offense. Wes has won the last 11 games against the Bobcats dating back to 2006. Make that 12. 
Wesleyan 48 University of Bates 7
Weather: AM showers. High around 72.

Hamilton College at Bowdoin College: Despite, Hamilton's 0-4 record, they have actually played pretty well. They hung around against Hartford State and Wesleyan for a while and gave Tufts an OT scare. Meanwhile Bowdoin has given up at least 28 points in every game losing by 14, 27, 17 and 28 points, respectively. The Conts have not won at Bowdoin since 2007. The home team has won eight of the last nine games played. Despite this, we think Hamilton's offense, specifically the passing game, has improved enough to be the difference maker here. We think Kenny Gray is a top 5 NESCAC QB, and Bowdoin is 2nd to last in the Conference in passing defense. We like the Conts in a close one, only close because it is at Bowdoin and it is Bowdoin's homecoming weekend.
Hamilton 24 Bowdoin 21
Weather: Not a factor. High around 69.

Williams College at Middlebury College: This game features the young, upstart Ephman against the highflying, experienced Panthers who have visions of NESCAC championships dancing in their heads. MID has won the last 5 times these teams have played. Make no bones about it, Williams is improved, but they are very young and have not faced a QB like Lebowitz at this level. This game will come down to how "real" the Ephs #2 NESCAC ranked pass defense is and can they stop Lebowitz and the #3 ranked MID pass offense. We like FLB to light it up at home. This could be the start of a tough season ending run for the Ephs as they play 4 of the top 5 teams in the conference over the last 5 weeks of the season.
Middlebury 38 Williams 17

Amhurst College at Colby College: Another stinker as the team formerly known as the LJs gears up for their annual Little 3 battle against Wes next Saturday at home. Typically a game like this could be a "trap" for Amhurst (same with Wes' game against Bates), but Coach Mills is way too good of a coach to let that happen plus Colby is just not strong enough to have a shot at a win here, even if the former LJs don't bring their "A" game. Colby is last in total offense, 8th in total defense, last in points scored, 8th in points allowed, and 9th in first downs. Amhurst has been good offensively, particularly running the ball (1st in the NESCAC in rushing) albeit against less then stellar competition (besides MID). The one thing that troubles us here we are in week 5 and Amhurst stills appear to have not settled on a number one QB. Still the former LJs are the better Team and we think they win going away in a tune-up before the big game next week.
Amhurst 38 Colby 7

NESCAC Game of the Week

Hartford State College at Tufts University: We think Hartford State will have their hands full on the road at Tufts this week. The Bants almost "spit the bit" against the Ephs in week 3 and trailed against HAM last week before getting on a roll. Tufts is far better than any team Hartford State has played this year. Tufts QB McDonald is a big, tough, dual threat who can pass (5th in the league in passing efficiency) and run (2nd in the NESCAC in rushing). He's also scored 3 TDs on the ground and thrown for 7. Both offenses are fairly similar in terms of yards from scrimmage and the mix of run/pass. Tufts actually has a few more first downs than Hartford State. This game could come down to how well the defenses and special teams play. We give HS the edge in both, although Tufts is very good at getting after the QB. We like HS in a fairly close game. We think HS kicks a late FG or scores a late TD to make the margin look bigger than it was for most of the game. A Tufts upset would not shock us here, especially in Medford.   
Hartford State 24 Tufts 14
Weather: Not a factor. High around 72.

NESCACMAN's Picks
2017 Season: 17-3
2016 Season: 32-8
2015 Season: 30-10
2014 Season: 30-10
2013 Season: 32-8
Career: 141-39 (.783 winning percentage)

PolarCat

I'm a Jumbos supporter this week.

Here's the photo the Bants' Senior Rookie has as his Facebook cover photo:

Kid's never played a down of college football (I double-checked the Participation Reports to be sure) even in the blow-outs.  He hasn't even put in the work the other 2018's have, and he posts shyte like that.

I'll take the classier team any day.  Go Bos!

Bombers798891

Quote from: PBPOP20 on October 13, 2017, 10:29:03 AM

Strong support from underclassmen and lots of criticism from upperclassmen recruited by his predecessor...  there's an undertone that JB favors guys he brought in.   

Right, and this is the divide you have to try and prevent. It's a tricky, tricky balance.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a coach preferring guys he brought in, necessarily. (I mean, why wouldn't he? It's not even a question of talent, but fit) It's how it plays out that matters. Can you manage emotions/egos?

PBPOP20

Quote from: Bombers798891 on October 13, 2017, 11:35:47 AM
Quote from: PBPOP20 on October 13, 2017, 10:29:03 AM

Strong support from underclassmen and lots of criticism from upperclassmen recruited by his predecessor...  there's an undertone that JB favors guys he brought in.   

Right, and this is the divide you have to try and prevent. It's a tricky, tricky balance.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a coach preferring guys he brought in, necessarily. (I mean, why wouldn't he? It's not even a question of talent, but fit) It's how it plays out that matters. Can you manage emotions/egos?

agreed... and what I relayed is parent chatter at tailgates and in stands...  not necessarily how the boys feel which is what matters. 

BantamMom

Redshirting is only allowed if the player is injured or sick and has to sit out a year.
Players that are cut are allowed to hang on the sideline with the team on game days, not sure what else......
I have heard that he encourages kids who were cut to keep working and try out the next year, but I am not aware of anyone actually making the team the subsequent year.

- It does happen - my son tried to walk on the team his freshman year and didn't make the roster (stood on the sidelines during games) - he went on earn a starting position by the end of sophomore year and kept it through his Jr. & Sr. years.  He reads the boards so I won't name him (you're welcome buddy) but wanted to let you know it has happened in recent history. 

JoeBag

Quote from: PolarCat on October 13, 2017, 11:33:53 AM

Kid's never played a down of college football (I double-checked the Participation Reports to be sure) even in the blow-outs.  He hasn't even put in the work the other 2018's have, and he posts shyte like that.

I am jealous.
To have the free time to creep on the Facebook pages of opposing teams bench warmers is a luxury few of us will ever get to experience.

PolarCat

JoeBag, that's not how the story goes.  The Senior Rookie in question went to prep school with my kid, then rubbed his nose in the loss, even though my kid's a 4 year starter and this poseur has never played a down. 

Sorry, while I won't name the Bant (you can figure it out on your own, or not), I will call out that type of poor sportsmanship any chance I get.  IMHO it doesn't belong in the CAC.  As I recall, you're one of the folks who felt Devanney should have taken a knee at the end rather than run up the score, so maybe you understand.

Go Bo's.

Nescacman

Quote from: PolarCat on October 13, 2017, 11:33:53 AM

That's Hartford State for you...another word for Bantam is C$%K...and that's what those guys are. That's bad karma....at some point in their lives, it will come back to bite them.

And btw, bad job by the University of Bates scoreboard operator for leaving that score up for more than a second after the final gun. -K to him...