BB: SCAC: Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, January 04, 2006, 11:16:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Fun fact:  NCAA champion Oregon State's pitcher Bryce Fehmel (who was 10-1 with an 3.19 ERA this season) is now the second member of his family to be on a championship team.   His older brother Brody was a senior OF on the Trinity squad that won the 2016 D3 championship.

But MAN I have to feel for Arkansas and the kids that couldn't make the play on a fairly routine foul ball that would have clinched the championship for the Hogs in the second game. 

108 Stitches

Happy New Year to DIII baseball fans.

Wow, what  a start for Trinity this year. First series Cortland 3, then BSC 3, mid-week MHB, then Endicott 3, Babson 3, Rochester 3, then midweek Millikin. So much for Regional rankings; it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out at the end of the baseball year.

https://www.trinitytigers.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/schedule

Lets Play Two

According to their schedule - 33 home games should help!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Lets Play Two on January 09, 2019, 05:10:34 PM
According to their schedule - 33 home games should help!
I count 8.

At UMHB and at McMurry.

3-game series on the road at UDallas and at Austin College. The other 4 SCAC series are home.

You can't get a better schedule than that.

Lets Play Two

Correct!  32 home games is a tremendous advantage so there will be no excuses coming out of San Antonio this year!  Their road games are against teams that were a combined 53-104 last season.  Look for Trinity to be playing well into the month of May in 2019!

Ron Boerger

Ron Boerger

108, where are you?   Figured you'd have an update for us on the two wins against Cortland, then again maybe you are too smart to watch ballgames when it's 40 and wet ...   ;)

TLU also off to a great start with a dominating offensive performance over the weekend.

108 Stitches

I had lots of friends at the game but could not make it this year. I watched some of it on the video feed and love their new three camera webcast, quality announcers. Top shelf. Cortland is a young team but look very talented and I would expect them to be in the mix later in the season. Trinity has the talent to make another run this year with better pitching and a more seasoned team. Not as much depth as previous teams so as long as injuries don't happen they should again be a favorite coming out of the West. Pretty special seeing TLU, and Trinity ranked in top 10.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 12, 2019, 01:06:43 PM
I had lots of friends at the game but could not make it this year. I watched some of it on the video feed and love their new three camera webcast, quality announcers. Top shelf. Cortland is a young team but look very talented and I would expect them to be in the mix later in the season. Trinity has the talent to make another run this year with better pitching and a more seasoned team. Not as much depth as previous teams so as long as injuries don't happen they should again be a favorite coming out of the West. Pretty special seeing TLU, and Trinity ranked in top 10.

I would love to see the NCAA split up the West region teams in the Supers after how successful the West has been over the past 10 years....but we all know how the bean counters operate.  I think the West is absolutely stacked this year, especially in TX.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Jack Parkman on February 12, 2019, 01:26:18 PM
Quote from: 108 Stitches on February 12, 2019, 01:06:43 PM

I would love to see the NCAA split up the West region teams in the Supers after how successful the West has been over the past 10 years....but we all know how the bean counters operate.  I think the West is absolutely stacked this year, especially in TX.

It should be possible to spit the west teams into three regionals depending on how the NCAA wants to split the field.  With no experience in super regionals, out outlook is murky indeed.

Ron Boerger

And next year, possibly another region?   Aren't there something like 390 D3 schools playing baseball?  (Edit: according to the NCAA there were 389 schools which participated in D3 baseball in 2018).

I posted this elsewhere but it may be of interest here:

DIII Championships Committee supports regional realignment

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/diii-championships-committee-supports-regional-realignment

Besides aligning schools to reflect growth and changes in participation, this proposal could also increase the number of regions in some sports, reducing the number of schools in a region:

QuoteThe new model seeks to have roughly 40 teams in each region. Sports that have 40-149 sponsors would have two regions; sports sponsored by 150-374 schools would have five to eight regions; and sports with 375 or more sponsors would have nine to 10 regions. In tennis, additional review will take place to determine the appropriate number of regions given that selections for the individual portion of the tournament are dependent on the alignment.

In most instances, the total number of regions in each sport would increase by two, three or four. The changes will require that some national committees expand to account for new regional representatives on those committees. Also, some conferences would be moved from their current regions.

Ron Boerger

Trinity's new #1 d3baseball.com ranking gets its stiffest test of the season so far when they face #8 TLU this weekend for a three-game set.  TLU P Nathan Malinovsky has been unexpectedly human in the early going (2-2, 5.24 ERA, largely due to a 1 1/3 inning stint against UT Dallas where he gave up 7 ER) but I fully expect him to turn it up a notch when the teams face off in San Antonio.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 19, 2019, 11:12:01 AM
Trinity's new #1 d3baseball.com ranking gets its stiffest test of the season so far when they face #8 TLU this weekend for a three-game set.  TLU P Nathan Malinovsky has been unexpectedly human in the early going (2-2, 5.24 ERA, largely due to a 1 1/3 inning stint against UT Dallas where he gave up 7 ER) but I fully expect him to turn it up a notch when the teams face off in San Antonio.
#1 hosting #8/

I think that TU must win the series to maintain its top spot.

TU is 15-3, going 2-1 vs #21 Babson, 2-1 vs #23 B-SC, and 2-0 vs #25 Cortland St.

They are 2-1 versus Endicott, currently not receiving votes, but always a contender in the Commonwealth Coast Conference.

I will not be surprised to see all 4 teams in the playoffs, come May.

Ralph Turner

My pro forma for the SCAC is that to earn the #1 seed, you have to take 2 of 3 against the other 3 teams that will make the tourney and sweep the other 3 series. That will give you a record of 15-3. It would be hard to go 16-2 and still earn the #1 seed.

That being the case, TLU just let one slip away. UDallas plays small ball to win in the bottom of the 12th, leadoff single, bunted to second and then RBI single. Final U Dallas 4-3.

UDallas just got a hard-earned win toward slot #4 in the post-season tourney.

TLU still has the tie-breaker against Trinity but the Bulldogs lost their cushion.

Ron Boerger

Trinity wins a wild one over HSU, 13-12, with a two out walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the tenth after giving up four runs in the top half of the inning (none earned).

If they are going to make any noise in the post-season, the Tigers have got to get a handle on their fielding.  Yesterday they committed six errors and only two of the Cowboys' 12 runs were earned.   Thought they had turned a corner with only 2 errors combined in the series against Centenary (after six in the prior two losses to UChicago and TLU), too.   They're averaging nearly 2 errors a game; prior to last night, that put them 158th in fielding percentage (.955) and would drop to around 200th if last night's results were included (.951). 

EDIT:  Here's video of the walk-off (with some excited student announcers).