MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

sac

Kalamazoo mens basketball twitter posted the following as their recruiting class.  (heights are from quick searches)

Joey  Robb  SF  Plymouth     
Tre Humes  6-5  SF  Kzoo Valley CC, Portage Northern
Marty Ward  6-3 G  East Grand Rapids
Art Caldwell  6-8 C  Ann Arbor Huron
A. J.  Abdelnour  5-10 PG   Detroit Catholic Central
Cooper Smith 6-4 SG  Kzoo Hackett

Kzoo graduated 3, return 14 (plus 1 from injury I think), 11 of those last years Freshmen.  Not much idea where these guys will fit in.  I imagine the Hornets will lose one or two to attrition.

Humes could be an impact guy.

Kzoo also has its schedule posted:
https://hornets.kzoo.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

Remembering mental notes from spring, I'd expect Anderson and Chicago to be pretty good D3 tests.  Spring Arbor will be good as well.

sac

Hope has posted its 2019 schedule

https://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

Possibly unnecessary commentary at a later time.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: sac on July 17, 2018, 02:18:29 PM
Hope has posted its 2019 schedule

https://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/schedule

Possibly unnecessary commentary at a later time.

Busy start to the season for Hope - 5 games in 8 days! 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sflzman

I don't know if anyone else happened to catch any of The Basketball Tournament that is going on on ESPN right now, but Brooks Miller is on the coaching staff for the Texas Tech alumni team
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

TUAngola

Quote from: sflzman on July 21, 2018, 03:58:16 PM
I don't know if anyone else happened to catch any of The Basketball Tournament that is going on on ESPN right now, but Brooks Miller is on the coaching staff for the Texas Tech alumni team

Yes, The Matadors held their training camp at Trine University this past week leading up to the tournament.  Both Brooks Miller, who earned his Masters at Texas Tech and was a grad assistant at Texas Tech under Bobby Knight, and Drew Lehman, current Trine assistant coach, are both on the Matador staff. 

The Matadors won their first game today against UCincinnati alum squad.  They now face a very good OSU alum squad featuring Jared Sullinger and Jon Diebler tomorrow afternoon.   

TUAngola

Matadors (TTU) were defeated by Scarlet & Gray (OSU) yesterday afternoon.  Too much Sullinger inside, could not be stopped.

Dan Dakich gives some on air love to Trine coach Brooks Miller and former player Will Dixon during their game on Saturday against the Bearcat Jam (UC).  That was pretty cool. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1021412046385053696

sac

Albion adds 6-4 F Justin McAbee from East Lansing to its recruiting class.

I saw EL several times the last 3 years, Justin's a hard worker around the basket.  He'll be a role player for Albion down the road in the mold of many of their "great efforts" rebounding guys they've had.

sac

Hope has hired Damon Jones Jr. as an assistant varsity coach and head JV coach.

Damon is from Cleveland and played at D2 Mercyhurst.  I believe he's spent the last couple years playing overseas but I'll have to look into that further.  Welcome to Hope Damon!

hopefan

Damon Jones... Sac... I'm probably forgetting all sorts of hires over the years, but haven't most come right through Hope's programs?  Seems someone from Mercyhurst is outside the normal routine... wonder if there was some kind of prior connection through summers, camps, or AAU?
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Stinger

K just announced the addition of UDM transfer Bass Ollie, Kalamazoo native and K Central grad.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

sac

Bass didn't play a lot at UDM last year, only 6 games, but UDM was a train wreck on and off the court so reasons could be plenty.  At 6-4 and good ball handling skills he looks like a wing who could also play the two or even the point a bit at this level.

Very nice pickup for Kzoo.  I believe he has 3 years of eligibility left.

Knight2Day

Talking to people in the Calvin community, this years Calvin freshman class will be the first class smaller than it's corresponding class at Hope in over 100 years. I guess that's what happens when you take away the tradition from an institution built on traditions.....A lot of big name older profs and staff being pushed out over the last few years.

TUAngola

Good MBB news out of Trine today.  Just read on the twitter feed that Center Ellis Cummings is back on the roster for his senior season.  At 6'8 he provides another rim protector to go with returning forwards Myles Copeland and Mo Hunter.  I don't see him starting in front either of those 2 but will be a valuable big off the bench for the Thunder.  He was never very skilled as an offensive player but is a talented shot blocker and rebounder.   

sac

Colin Jones   6-4   265lb  F  Holt HS--Lansing Community--Culver Stockton

.....has enrolled at Olivet.   

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/07/17/colin-jones-moneyball-pro-am-couch-column/785102002/
As is briefly mentioned in the article he has some academic work to take care of.  He'd be a load in D3.  We'll see.

hopefan

Quote from: sac on August 25, 2018, 05:05:31 PM
Colin Jones   6-4   265lb  F  Holt HS--Lansing Community--Culver Stockton

.....has enrolled at Olivet.   

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/story/sports/columnists/graham-couch/2018/07/17/colin-jones-moneyball-pro-am-couch-column/785102002/
As is briefly mentioned in the article he has some academic work to take care of.  He'd be a load in D3.  We'll see.

A load physique wise, or talent wise?
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!