Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

smedindy

We English-speaking types, of course, get it wrong. But do we care?

QuoteThrough the centuries, Vietnam has been called by many different names: Văn Lang during the Hùng Vương Dynasty, Âu Lạc during the An Dương Vương dynasty, Van Xuan during the Anterior Lý Dynasty, Đại Cồ Việt during the Đinh dynasty and Anterior Lê Dynasty. Starting in 1054, Vietnam was called Đại Việt (Great Viet). During the Hồ Dynasty, Vietnam was called Đại Ngu. Then, in 1804, King Gia Long planned to use the name of Nam Việt for Vietnam but the Qing dynasty of China disagreed and changed it to Việt Nam. In English, the two syllables were written into one: Vietnam. From 1839 to 1945, Emperor Minh Mạng renamed Việt Nam to Đại Nam.

The name Việt Nam had been used for this country before it became the official name in "Dư địa chí" of Nguyễn Trãi written in 1435 and perhaps even before. "Việt" is the name of the largest ethnic group in Vietnam: the Kinh (người Kinh) and "Nam" means "the South", affirming Vietnam's sovereignty from China (usually called "North country" to Vietnamese people).

John Gleich

So Vietnam has the best DIII facility...?   ???  :P
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

BklynBasketball

NYU is gorgeous, Coles Center, too bad the crowds don't show up :(

gottaluvhoops

Hope does have a gorgeous place to play.  I have also heard that Wartburg has just built an amazing place.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 07, 2008, 11:14:14 PM
Boy, are you young! ;D

I was born in Saigon during the Vietnam war...was one of the last flights out of South Vietnam before the fall of Saigon, so if that constitutes being young, well then I am! lol  ;D :D ;) :P
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old School.... (Tom Doebler) on February 12, 2008, 06:34:38 PM
Boy, are you young! ;D

I was born in Saigon during the Vietnam war...was one of the last flights out of South Vietnam before the fall of Saigon, so if that constitutes being young, well then I am! lol  ;D :D ;) :P

Since I sweated out getting sent to Nam, yeah, you are young! ;D

Actually, that's an exaggeration about something I usually don't joke about - I had deferrals on so many grounds that I truly wished I could have passed the extras around to buddies (one of whom didn't come back).  RIP, Ron. :'(

sac

Only image I could find of NYU, is that the Cole Center?

Wartburg's Levick Arena

the other photos of the whole facility are worth a look.  Very impressive looking place.
http://www.wartburg.edu/wellness/1408/index.htm

A link to drawings and a pretty cool 3d flyover
http://www.the-w.org/facility.html

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Old School.... (Tom Doebler) on February 12, 2008, 06:34:38 PM
Boy, are you young!

I was born in Saigon during the Vietnam war...was one of the last flights out of South Vietnam before the fall of Saigon, so if that constitutes being young, well then I am!

Wow, I didn't know you were so old.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Titan Q

Quote from: sac on February 12, 2008, 08:41:41 PM

Wartburg's Levick Arena

the other photos of the whole facility are worth a look.  Very impressive looking place.
http://www.wartburg.edu/wellness/1408/index.htm

A link to drawings and a pretty cool 3d flyover
http://www.the-w.org/facility.html

That reminds me a bunch of the Bruner Center at Illinois College - in fact, some of it looks identical (like the concourse).

http://www.ic.edu/athletics/facilities/

Titan Q

Some pictures of Illinois Wesleyan's Shirk Center...

Pat Coleman

Yes, that was NYU's Coles Center. I've only been there twice but the crowds were great each time.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

frank uible

With over 12,000 in full time undergraduates the crowds ought to be great.

NYBB

12,000 students at nyu, yes but only about 2,000 of those students have ever heard of basketball and only about 500 of those students know that NYU has a team.  People go to NYU because they want to be in the city, not because it's a good school and not because it's got an excellent D3 athletic program.  That's a shame because Coles is a great facility and NYU puts together an excellent team every year.

Oh well...at least NYU draws a crowd.  The only other Manhattan D3 school that gets a good size audience is Hunter, and their crowds aren't even that big.  Baruch/John Jay/CCNY = nill crowd.

Coles is also a great place for pickup basketball (if you like dunking on 5'7'' mathematics majors, this is the place to play).

U of R's gym is one of the best in D3 in my opinion, btw.