ABCA D-III All-American Team

Started by LWC23, May 24, 2008, 01:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronko7

Anyway, I agree that each list has omissions. Do you know if they just use regular season stats for both or if there are a different set of stats for each?
On the ABCA, I was glad to see St. Scholastica represented by Claugherty as I thought he was left off the d3 list. Personally, if it is done how it was said and the ABCA only looks at the first team regional list to compile the National AA list that is pretty poor. Then you could have the best to ballplayers in the country...at one position and only one would be named an AA. Perhaps it is just a simplified way to reduce the work of having to compare more players, but that is too bad. So thank you guys for the work.
[/quote]
The all-region teams are not always selected by position, for example the midwest region team lacks a few positions on the first team.

Jim Dixon

If you look at the process, each AA list will be different. 

The ABCA uses the regional lists to send just the first team for selection in the national list.  The D3baseball.com uses nominated players and are voted enmass.

If a player is not nominated for the D3baseball.com list they have little chance on making it.  If you have a strength in one region - i.e. first base in the west, you will eliminate a potential AA from the ABCA list.

Also the level of competition varies widely and there are too many players that have great seasons to award them all.  To do so just takes away from the selectivity and we have some thing similar to the list of players to watch in Coll. Baseball.

d3baseballnut

I am shocked to not have heard immediately about the ABCA All Americans...from the banquet tonight.

Anyone have any news?

Gramps

I have seen nothing official yet, so I'll just tell you what I heard without mentioning names.

Heidelberg had 3 1st team AA and 2 2nd team.

I'll post more when it's confirmed.

mr_b

Quote from: Gramps on May 27, 2010, 11:44:57 PM
I have seen nothing official yet, so I'll just tell you what I heard without mentioning names.

Is that regional or national?

d3baseballnut

Quote from: mr_b on May 27, 2010, 11:52:03 PM

national...

Gramps

Quote from: mr_b on May 27, 2010, 11:52:03 PM

I'm assuming that you're asking if my information is regional or national.
My information came at the conclusion of tonight's banquet.

d3baseballnut

I know H-berg players got 1st team, as well as Van Sickler and Brasheers from Shenandoah.

No word one anyone else

bulldozer

Hopkins' Youchak was named Player of the Year.  Congrats to Brian!

Gramps

From the Heidelberg web site:

1ST TEAM - RICARDO LIZCANO, WILLIE BRECHUN, STEVE DECKER

2ND TEAM - JASON LASH, ANDY LOWE

ELITE 88 AWARD - NATHAN JAMES

MID-EAST REGION COACH OF THE YEAR - MATT PALM

All announced at the banquet.

BigPoppa

What's the Elite 88 Award?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

mideastfan2

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 28, 2010, 08:06:44 AM
What's the Elite 88 Award?

it's given to the student-athlete who is participating at the Championship (in Appleton), and who has the HIGHEST gpa.

a pretty nice award if you ask me...although this is the 1st I've ever heard of it as well BigPoppa.

Gramps

Junior right handed pitcher Nathan James (South Spencer, Ind. / Rockport) was presented with the inaugural NCAA Elite 88 Award. The Elite 88 Award recognizes the student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average amongst the players competing in the championship. One award is presented at all of the NCAA 88 championships. As an athletic training major, James boasts a 3.919 gpa, while also maintaining a spot in the starting rotation.

Quote from the Heidelberg web site explaining the new award. Impressive.

BigPoppa

Very nice of the NCAA to recognize the "student" in student-athlete.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Just Bill

This is always the most frutrating thing about the ABCA All-Region/All-American teams.  They go through the whole nomination/voting process announce it to the 150 people at the banquet, but don't bother to tell anyone else with e-mail, website, blog, smoke signals, semifore flags.  Don't they want people to know??

It's not a press releases, unless you RELEASE it.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.