FB: Region 4 fan poll

Started by DPU3619, September 09, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 11, 2017, 09:33:33 PM
Thanks for the copy edit, Mr. Y.   ;)

I think the MIAA has definitely improved.  I have no idea how Albion isn't winning more games last year or this year.  They just aren't nearly as bad as that record.  Olivet is on a nice little upswing.  Trine has good inertia.  The thing that I think is really helping the MIAA is Sturrsma getting Hope back on the good.  There's a depth of quality in that league there now that was missing for awhile. 

I wound up going back and forth on #10 for a while with Carthage and DePauw.  Ultimately went with Carthage given DPU's QB issues that manifested itself in kind of a blah effort against Oberlin (the same kind of result, quite frankly, that was keeping Wabash off of my ballot until this week).  So Carthage stayed in, and DPU didn't quite make it.  Carthage, btw, dropped from 7 to 10 on my ballot as collateral damage from Wheaton's tumble.  They're kind of anchored behind Wheaton until they get some more results in league play.

I think what would really spark the MIAA in football would be if Calvin would finally take it up..  For the first couple of years, everyone could enjoy kicking sand in the face of the big, bad bully, but soon they would probably perennially be a contender.

As to Carthage, I now note that on the 21st they play AT IWU.  IF we do them them what I hope we will, that can finally make room for Franklin/RHIT (or whoever).

This week the BIG game is the Little Brass Bell - NCC/Wheaton.  Unless we (and D3football) were totally wrong about the Thunder, they should be madder 'an hell and have the talent to 'upset' the Cards.  Wouldn't THAT throw a monkey wrench into next week's rankings?!  I have my doubts, but a Thunder win somehow seems less improbable than a THIRD consecutive loss.

smedindy

I had five CCIW teams in the ranking, which I never thought I'd have five of any of the conferences in there.

wally_wabash

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2017, 02:54:13 PM
I had five CCIW teams in the ranking, which I never thought I'd have five of any of the conferences in there.

Same.  I couldn't get to a point where I was convinced Wheaton wasn't in the top 10.  They lost twice under weird circumstances that you normally see once every four seasons.  That lightning struck twice in two weeks for the Thunder. 

Ha.  I didn't even plan that one. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

I imagine everyone noticed that the top four teams captured ALL of the 1-4 votes.  But I just took a closer look, and after that it becomes damn near random!  Only nine voters, yet five teams got #5 votes, six teams got #6 votes, six teams got #7 votes, etc.

Some posters were joking about flipping coins or throwing darts after the top four - it almost seems to be the reality! ;D

HOPEful

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 13, 2017, 12:01:22 AM
I imagine everyone noticed that the top four teams captured ALL of the 1-4 votes.  But I just took a closer look, and after that it becomes damn near random!  Only nine voters, yet five teams got #5 votes, six teams got #6 votes, six teams got #7 votes, etc.

Some posters were joking about flipping coins or throwing darts after the top four - it almost seems to be the reality! ;D
Yes. The dropoff from 66 to 39 points is striking!
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Mr. Ypsi

Despite the suspension of the NCC @ Wheaton game at halftime, to be completed tomorrow evening, the D3.Football.com poll went ahead on schedule.  The North is well represented, with UMU 2nd, NCC 4th, IWU 11th, Witt 13th, Berg 24th, and DePauw 25th.  Additionally, Wheaton is tops in the ORV with 28 points, Millikin got 19, Trine got 11, and Wabash and Carthage each received 7.  No wonder I had qualms about stopping at ten - that's eleven right there, and Hope, Franklin, and RHIT are all definitely on my radar!  [Personally, I was quite surprised to see Berg RETURN to the top 25 - needing OT to beat Ott at home did not impress me. :P]

I almost sent in my ballot already, but decided that since our regional poll never comes out before Wednesday anyway, may as well wait for NCC @ Wheaton to finish!  My imaginary money says NCC 27, Wheaton 14 (or very close to that), but if I am wrong, I would have had to send in a revised ballot anyway!

smedindy

I'm going to wait on the Wheaton / NCC game to finish. You never know what can happen on a game that has a break in it.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: smedindy on October 15, 2017, 11:03:06 PM
I'm going to wait on the Wheaton / NCC game to finish. You never know what can happen on a game that has a break in it.

Even without a break in it, any game with a Bell attached can be unpredictable! It may be less recognized nationally, but to NCC and Wheaton I suspect the Little Brass Bell carries the same weight as the Monon Bell does for a couple of Indiana schools. ;D

Li'l Giant

Yeah, I'm waiting as well.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

wally_wabash

I generally don't get all of the ballots until Tuesday or Wednesday a.m., so please do wait on today's result as it certainly impacts this poll significantly. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

A good thing everyone held off, or there would be a flurry of 'adjusted' ballots!  Wheaton so far is doing a number on the Cards - 21 unanswered points - to take a 28-13 lead with 3+ minutes left in the third.

I did NOT see this coming! :o

Mr. Ypsi

YIKES!!  Wheaton 42, NCC 20. :o

What a mess in the NRFP!

NCF

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 16, 2017, 08:25:38 PM
YIKES!!  Wheaton 42, NCC 20. :o

What a mess in the NRFP!

I should have waited, but I didn't see this coming. :o :o :P :P
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Mr. Ypsi

Well, I've sent my ballot (though as I told wally, I didn't much like it! :P), so on to next week!  A flurry of games that could clarify or make this even more of a clusterf**k:

Probably the top ballot changer: Witt @ DePauw.  Then there is Carthage @ IWU.  And two games that will probably determine conference AQs: Hope @ Trine and Franklin @ RHIT.  I suspect that next week's ballot will bear only a coincidental resemblance to this week's! ;)

smedindy

Five CCIW teams make up 3-7 on my ballot.

I didn't put North Central behind Wheaton because I thought this was a fluky thing, and Wheaton has two losses. But man...