NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

Amherst seems to have a knack for finding really, really good coaches who are so despised by their peers that they fail to receive COY awards accordingly.  (Hixon is another example).  But I agree, this conversation has grown pretty damn stale, especially when there are other things (like two NESCAC teams in the same Sweet 16 section!) worthy of discussion ...

So, back to soccer, next weekend Amherst will (I assume) host the most academically-inclined soccer sectional in college soccer history: Amherst v. Swarthmore, and Williams v. Brandeis.  Amherst will, of course, be a big favorite, but all four teams have impressive records.  Whatever happens, the winner of the sectional can at least claim to be king of nerds ... I put the odds of a NESCAC team advancing to the Final Four at about 80 percent.  And with Messiah on the other side of the bracket entirely, the sky's the limit. 

Williams seems to have a problem coming out of the gates ... they gave up goals in the first minute of play in two of their last three games (Amherst and St. Lawrence).  They seem to get stronger as the game goes along, numerous come-from-behind victories this season, I wonder why they consistently get off to such slow starts, though.  In all events, the Ephs certainly have a flair for the dramatic!  I just hope they can start strong vs. a Brandeis team which has posted extremely impressive results, and if they get past Brandeis, figure out a different strategy for an Amherst team that seems to be substantially larger, more experienced, and more talented overall. 

cacalum

Former player here, long time reader of the boards. Hopefully nescac1's post gets us back to the soccer.

Couple thoughts on last weekend first. Disappointing from a Wesleyan standpoint, they're a talented team with a couple guys in O'Neil and Purdy who will be extremely difficult to replace. I thought they were going to make a little noise (defend well, have a couple difference makers and some tournament experience).  In the game I saw this year the first-year left back was extremely impressive. Tufts just isn't there yet.  They will be at some point. Santos not playing hurts a lot.  He's so talented but maddening to watch because of it.  Sometimes he can drift in and out, but when he's on it's scary.

Only got to watch a little bit of the Amherst game via webcast, and from what I saw it was far closer than the scoreline indicates. While certainly the most talented team in the league right now, they are not unbeatable by any means.  Did see the goal by the freshman, which was impressive, in addition to Noon's toe-poke.  If Dickinson scores that breakaway that game changes significantly and is anyone's to win.

Williams and SLU (did not see the game) played exactly what'd you expect Williams and SLU to play if you know both programs.  Two possession oriented teams and fortunately for NESCAC fans Williams wins out. Unfortunate Demello was injured, he's as good as advertised and then some.

For the weekend:

Amherst v. Swat - Should be a battle with Swat having lost to Amherst at home during Amherst's final 4 run. While I think Amherst is beatable, I don't think they lose this one at home. 2-0 Amherst at home.

Williams v. Brandeis - Williams is baffling to me.  Having guys as talented as Rashid, Murrales, Madding, Ebo and Ratajczak and then having a couple guys who are very subpar athletically leads to some uneven games.  They look awesome and then pedestrian in the same game. Their outside backs have serious trouble with speed, you can tell by how many guys get rotated through those spots. Haven't seen Brandeis play but looking at results I think I like Williams in this one 1-0.

Sunday: Amherst v. Williams - It's extremely difficult to beat the same team 3 times in a year.  Russo did some weird stuff in the NESCAC final (anyone know why User, Ebo and Rashid didn't start?), which I don't think he'll do here. This is truly anyone's game to win but if Williams comes out flat again they'll get run over. Serpone has been an exhausting topic on this board but his teams are up for big games (methods to his madness are debatable but they are ready usually). This is a tough pick, but I just don't think the Williams outside backs can contain the Amherst wingers while Amherst's outside backs can contain the Williams guys (Aoyoma is the best player in the League in my opinion). Amherst 1-0 in OT

Long post, sorry, I'll get the hang of this eventually.

nescac1

Good post cacalum!  To answer your question, Russo has, on a few occasions this year, brought his star striker / play-making midfield guys off of the bench to start the second half of back-to-back games, particularly where (like in the NESCAC semis) the first half of those games ended in extra time.  I assume the thought process was, start with some fresher bodies and keep the scoring threats rested for later in the game.  Obviously that cost them a bit vs. Amherst, so I imagine he won't do that again even if Williams advances past Brandeis in an extra time game.  Critical for Williams to get off to a good start (if they can beat Brandeis, which is far from a sure thing) because the Amherst defense is so athletic and tough that if you fall behind early, it's almost impossible to compete. 

Jump4Joy

Good to see someone spreading the love for Aoyama, cacalum!

CacFan12

Wanted to weigh in with some predictions for the weekend. I, too, appreciate the love for Aoyama! In my opinion, Aoyama plays defense by necessity, and if he were playing on any other NESCAC team, he'd be a winger and maybe the best in the league. If anyone has seen him play (I admittedly have only seen him once or twice), he is an offensive minded player with elite defensive skills. Love watching him play.

Swat v. Amherst - Haven't seen swat play but know they play tough and could present a challenge for an Amherst team who thinks their ticket to San Antonio is all but guaranteed. I think this is a "trap" game--as much as that is possible in the sweet 16s (i think that says something about how dominant this amherst team has been). That being said, Serpone gets the team jacked up and ready to go, look for a big game from Mooney--swat struggles with speed from the wings and Mooney is a 5th year senior who steps up in big games (goal in the nescac finals, hat trick against SLU in 2011). He won't let his team go down. Amherst 2-1

Brandeis v. Williams - a real wild card game. i think williams is the product of a down year from the nescac and great (as always) coaching from COY russo. I do not think they are as talented as their record shows, and may show some immaturity at points (sophomore  grady seems like a ticking time bomb ready to get a red card). Don't know much about brandeis but they do play on turf and that could be interesting given amherst's field must be beat up at this point in the season. Wouldn't be surprised to see a OT game here. Rashid scores a late goal to tie it and I'll go a 2OT 1-1 finish with williams taking it in PKs.

Sunday:

Amherst - Williams: Can you ask for a better game? Rivalry game, 3rd time in a year, all bets are off. Too much talent on Amherst as they squeak by for their second trip to the final four in 5 years. 1-0. Noon puts the team on his back and makes a play to carry his team to San Antonio

cant wait to watch. good luck to all

amh63

Amherst wins 2-1 over Swat. and moves on to meet Williams on Sunday.  It was 1-0 t the half, Amherst in the lead.  It was 2-0 Amherst with about 20 plus minutes to go when Amherst was called for a "foul"?.....leading to a PK goal for Swat.  Amherst held off Swat. for the rest of the game.....taking shots and playing on the Swat. side of the field most of the time.

nescacsoccer

It's the matchup that everyone expected.  Williams will certainly be more ready this time and I would be shocked if they dont come out firing given how the last meeting went.  However, I believe Amherst is clearly the better team.  Should be a great game that comes down to the wire.  I cant predict a result that is anything but a complete guess, just never know when rivals meet this late in the season.

nescacsoccer

Exciting back and forth game that's still 0-0 with just over 20 minutes left in the second half.  Amherst has unbelievably hit the cross bar four times including two on back to back shots form just out the 18.

nescac1

Heading to OT in Amherst.  Williams has received good fortune as noted due to the various shots hitting the woodwork.  Finan made two incredible saves, both on fantastic, curling rocket shots by Noon and Wirz, to keep Williams alive.  Williams had one GOLDEN opportunity with Kushaina having a point blank a few feet from the goal look with a minute left, but he had a very tough angle and couldn't quite find the netting.  Then, with 30 seconds left, came the rocket shot from outside the box by Wirz, which Finan just barely knocked over the crossbar.  Amherst is very, very talented across the board.  Guys who have massive throw-ins essentially make any out of bounds ball a corner kick in the top quarter of the field.  Aoyama and Rico looked very good in the midfield, and Amherst's D is well organized, and of course Noon in particular is dangerous as a finisher.  Rashid looked great for Williams but often seemed to be doing it alone, just did not get enough help and Williams, other than the one late opportunity, rarely seriously threatened.  Amherst, on the other hand, had multiple golden opportunities, and Williams has to thank a bit of luck and certainly Finan's heroics, allowing them to stay in the game until OT. 

nescac1

Going to PKs in Amherst.  Williams picked up its play in OT, and the two teams were roughly even, both with a few good chances (including yet another crossbar shot by Amherst, and a few very dangerous balls for Williams near the goal).  Sucks that a really, really hard fought game has to end this way.  Both teams look exhausted, left it all out there. 

nescac1

Congrats to the Ephs, outshooting Amherst 4-3 in PKs!!  Incredible year for the Ephs, certainly no one had this team pegged for the Final Four, but I can't think of a more gutty / clutch Williams team, the number of OT victories this year is simply astounding.  Amherst was one of the most talented squads I've seen in NESCAC, but ultimately, luck was not on the Jeffs' side this game.  Man of the match for Williams was clearly Than Finan, the local hero made good with some absolutely acrobatic saves.  Good luck to the Ephs in San Antonio!

jumpshot

Truly a win for the ages by Williams over Amherst today at Amherst. In three games this year, the highly favored Lord Jeffs out-shot the Ephs 67 to 27, yet came away with only a tie, one win, and today's loss.

Williams' excellent cohesive team effort, fine goal tending, and the tone set by Coach Russo over many years all were quite evident. Some of the best Division III soccer you'll ever see constructed by one of the great coaches in America and delivered by top-notch student athletes.

Jim Matson

And don't forget Matt in back! He was a key guy against Swat and Amherst.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Jump4Joy

JumpShot,
Yes, Amherst showed their run-of-play dominance over Williams, as you mention, outshooting Williams 67-27 over the course of three games. I will add that the Jeffs also outscored the Ephs, 2-0. And, if I may correct you, recorded 1 (championship) victory and 2 ties against their rivals. Williams did advance to the final four on PKs (their demeanor heading into PKs told the story of their relief and giddy joy to have reached that stage) and will hopefully represent the NESCAC well.

While beaten on five shots that luckily were saved by woodwork, Finan was, indeed, clutch for his squad, which proved key, as Williams' anemic attack, supposedly led by their ROY, disappointed. (Sorry for the bitter tone, but I still contend that Bull deserved that accolade.)

As to your suggestion that Williams offered "some of the best Division III soccer you'll ever see": To be fair, you must admit that it was Amherst that displayed some of the best Div. III soccer you'll ever see constructed, and I'm sure that every Williams player--and the coaches--will agree they were outplayed by their opponent. Yes, Williams did a good job hanging in there and helping along their luck, and yes, Williams is a good team--one of the best Amherst played against this year (Swarthmore was also very good). But it's too bad the final four won't see the best the NESCAC has to offer this year.

Also, with Russo's record, who can argue that he has not set a tone over his many years at Williams? But let's agree that Serpone also was masterful in setting a tone with his players who played relentlessly attacking and suffocatingly defensive soccer. Nobody can argue against Serpone's mastery either. In six years, his program has won 3 NESCAC championships (two back-to-back), recording an 88-14-14 record for a .820 winning percentage. This year's team broke last year's record-setting season with a season-high of 17 wins (and 17 shut-outs, including 3 vs. Williams) on its way to an Elite 8 appearance and a #2 national ranking. Say it out loud with me: Wow!

Playing the same team three times in one season is always tricky. Williams did a good job making adjustments in their energy on defense and in their strategy (get it up route 1 quickly to get the ball away from Amherst's swarming attack, and send some balls through the final third to speedy attackers). Good luck to them going forward to Texas. With a number of talented FYs and sophs, they should be a good team again next year and then some.

LaPaz

I wish the world was filled with more Justin Serpone's and Derek Shea's/ we would all be better for it