MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rofrog

So i stayed up to watch this game amongst two top ten teams.Whitman,Whitworth final score was 100-98 what  I saw was no defense what so ever so it wasnt my type of game but hats off to playing the game best was announcer saying both teams will hit 100 I guess so with no defense .Just my thought so before the critics come attacking you like that style I dont.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Rofrog on January 09, 2019, 01:45:04 AM
So i stayed up to watch this game amongst two top ten teams.Whitman,Whitworth final score was 100-98 what  I saw was no defense what so ever so it wasnt my type of game but hats off to playing the game best was announcer saying both teams will hit 100 I guess so with no defense .Just my thought so before the critics come attacking you like that style I dont.

Do you mean it wasn't a halfcourt game?  Defense is not always about minimizing the other team's points as primary focus.  That's one type of defense.  Whitman plays a pretty aggressive brand of defense - they just tend to pick up full court.  There are a lot of fast breaks, but Whitman's half-court defense is pretty potent, although, I'll admit, it was not their best defensive night.

You don't have to like or dislike any style - we all have our preferences - but it's probably more accurate to say you don't care for the "pace."
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Rofrog

Ryan if you like that type of game watch the NBA.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Rofrog on January 09, 2019, 05:27:33 PM
Ryan if you like that type of game watch the NBA.

The defensive schemes in the NBA are way above my pay grade.  That's basketball on a whole other level.

NEPAFAN

Must win Saturday vs Catholic. Can't go 1-3 in the conference.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah rofrog - there was a lot of defense last night. The score may not be what you deem it should be in your idea of what it means for defense ... but trust me, I don't know a Landmark team that would handle Whitman's defense all that well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Rofrog

First of all read the statement I said I dont like that style.Second what the hell does this have to do with the Landmark??

Rofrog

I get it we will never see eye to eye but believe me defense wins championships my friend.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on January 09, 2019, 11:13:54 PM
First of all read the statement I said I dont like that style.Second what the hell does this have to do with the Landmark??

Well ... my comparison was to give some perspective in comparison to a conference everyone here knows. I've never seen a defense that Whitman plays ever played in this conference and I think teams in this conference would struggle mightily with it.

Quote from: Rofrog on January 09, 2019, 11:14:55 PM
I get it we will never see eye to eye but believe me defense wins championships my friend.

Whitman lost in the national semifinals (their first lost of the season) two seasons ago against Babson - who eventually won the title. They also lost to NWU, the eventual champions, in last year's tournament (their second lost) - though that game was more of a true coming out party for NWU who plays less defense than Whitman.

Whitman's defense two seasons ago (which is near identical to what they are playing now) stymied some of the best teams in the country including Whitworth (three times), Hardin-Simmons, and Rochester in the late part of the season on it's own.

In other words ... their defense was one of the biggest reasons they got to Salem and nearly won the title undefeated (they get past Babson and they probably win the title).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Well Dave from my eyes I didn't see much defense according to Massey also Whitman's defense ranked 192,Nebraska Wesleyan 29 so like I said I don't like that style and I didn't see defense either

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Rofrog on January 10, 2019, 12:34:35 AM
Well Dave from my eyes I didn't see much defense according to Massey also Whitman's defense ranked 192,Nebraska Wesleyan 29 so like I said I don't like that style and I didn't see defense either

That only measures what an opponent scores.  It's total points - without looking at the number of possessions in a game, something dictated by pace, you really can't get a good measure of the opponent.

You seem to be defining defense as "keeping the opponents score as low as possible."  That's really only one way to measure defense and it's not one most coaches use anymore.  Points per possession is the gold standard these days.  Also, something like opponents shooting percentages is important.

Equating defense with low scoring is just not a valid comparison; that's what we're objecting to here.  You don't like the pace and the turnovers and the open shots, which is fine, but saying there's "no defense" is just plain ignorant.

Even the 192nd best defense is in the top half of Division III.  NWU and Whitman have very different defensive philosophies, so it's tough to compare them head to head.  Certainly NWU is more half-court oriented, so the scores are going to be a little lower.  I'm not saying Whitman is a defense-first team or anything, but they do play it.  Ask any coach how difficult it is to face them and how much preparation their defense takes to handle.

saratoga

Thank God Logan Bailey showed up for the Royals last evening.

Quick question for Dave or Ryan...

Is Logan able to be considered for Landmark ROY even though he is technically a soph. academically?

NEPAFAN

Mancuso played but didn't start? Still Nursing injury? No Connelly? Driesbach gets minutes all of a sudden?

also this is cool,

https://athletics.scranton.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190110eqrpag

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Mancuso didn't play with his usual energy, probably still affected. Dreisbach is from the Moravian area; may have been a factor in his replacing Connelly.