Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on April 14, 2013, 02:41:05 PM
North Central downed DePauw 17-13 today. Next up is Augustana on Tuesday.

A good win against DePauw and a new team record for wins in a season I see.  Good luck tomorrow.  Middlebury plays at Union coming off a tough loss in what has quickly become a rivalry game.  Then it's Colby on Saturday who, like the Panthers, have only lost to Trinity thus far.

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 15, 2013, 08:41:02 PM

A good win against DePauw and a new team record for wins in a season I see.  Good luck tomorrow.  Middlebury plays at Union coming off a tough loss in what has quickly become a rivalry game.  Then it's Colby on Saturday who, like the Panthers, have only lost to Trinity thus far.
I remember this team four years ago, when my son was a freshman. They were not good at all. The team  is only in it's fifth season and has steadily improved each year.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Vandy74

Tough loss for North Central.  This is what the program has achieved.  Up until the last ten seconds of the game you played even with a team that lost very respectably 11-16 to Adrian, a team that will return to the ncaa tournament this season.  Adrian is 12-2 and lost 9-13 to Christopher-Newport, currently ranked 14th nationally in D3.   

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 17, 2013, 03:49:52 AM

Tough loss for North Central.  This is what the program has achieved.  Up until the last ten seconds of the game you played even with a team that lost very respectably 11-16 to Adrian, a team that will return to the ncaa tournament this season.  Adrian is 12-2 and lost 9-13 to Christopher-Newport, currently ranked 14th nationally in D3.
They had several opportunities to get the go ahead goal, but couldn't quite get it done. Tough day for the lady cards as the softball team dropped a dh to carthage yesterday as well.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on April 17, 2013, 08:02:03 AM

They had several opportunities to get the go ahead goal, but couldn't quite get it done. Tough day for the lady cards as the softball team dropped a dh to carthage yesterday as well.

North Central's game with Carthage next Tuesday should be a good one and another indicator of what they could do against some of the better teams in D3.  Carthage opened it's season with a tough schedule including Redlands and Wooster, ranked 1st and 3rd in the Western region.  They lost by a very respectable 5 goal margin to each of them.  They have won 9 of their last 10 losing only to Augustana 10-9.  Wooster, btw, only lost 9-6 to Denison, #4 in the Western Region, and 7-5 to Fredonia St. ranked 2nd in the New York Region. 
Colorado College is an interesting team.  They are only 5-8 but they travel all over the country playing the best each region has to offer.  They have lost close games to Denison and Adrian and 18-9 to Redlands.  Tomorrow they are in Maine to play 6th ranked Colby  (I hope they wear them out because Middlebury has to play Colby on Saturday) and then they take on 8th ranked Bowdoin.  Middlebury went out there to play them a few seasons back.  Brutal schedule.

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 18, 2013, 05:56:31 AM
Quote from: NCF on April 17, 2013, 08:02:03 AM

North Central's game with Carthage next Tuesday should be a good one and another indicator of what they could do against some of the better teams in D3.  Carthage opened it's season with a tough schedule including Redlands and Wooster, ranked 1st and 3rd in the Western region.  They lost by a very respectable 5 goal margin to each of them.  They have won 9 of their last 10 losing only to Augustana 10-9.  Wooster, btw, only lost 9-6 to Denison, #4 in the Western Region, and 7-5 to Fredonia St. ranked 2nd in the New York Region. 
Colorado College is an interesting team.  They are only 5-8 but they travel all over the country playing the best each region has to offer.  They have lost close games to Denison and Adrian and 18-9 to Redlands.  Tomorrow they are in Maine to play 6th ranked Colby  (I hope they wear them out because Middlebury has to play Colby on Saturday) and then they take on 8th ranked Bowdoin.  Middlebury went out there to play them a few seasons back.  Brutal schedule.
It was odd to look at the rankings and see no Midwest division, The sport is taking hold here in Illinois, however as even my kids high school has added it this year. I would bet in the next five years the Midwest will explode in terms of colleges that offer the sport.  Yes, the North Central, Carthage game should be a good one.

Vandy74

It was odd to look at the rankings and see no Midwest division, The sport is taking hold here in Illinois, however as even my kids high school has added it this year. I would bet in the next five years the Midwest will explode in terms of colleges that offer the sport.  Yes, the North Central, Carthage game should be a good one.
[/quote]

NCF....It works the same as basketball.  Conference strength means everything and you are still in the process of putting your conferences together when it comes to lacrosse.  Check out last year's tournament bracket.  www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/lacrosse-women/d3/2011   First round games are as ''local" as possible.  With so few conferences in the Midwest and West,  Denison and Adrian must play each other and Redlands and Occidental must do likewise.  Two one goal margins of victory.  Meanwhile  Middlebury wins 19-1.  Amherst wins 19-1 and Trinity wins 16-1.  Middlebury and Trinity advanced to the Final Four and Trinity won it all so these were very good teams, but none of them played a very good first round opponent.  They were teams that won the championship in much weaker leagues to gain an automatic berth.  When the Midwest puts together a few more competitive conferences then the best teams in the region will not have to beat each other up in the opening round.  If the same is happening in the West even better.  The bracket will have to expand and instead of the best teams in the region having to face each other in the first round they can have the same opportunity to advance as the eastern teams do that play a much lower regional seed.   
From what little I've seen Augustana, Carthage and North Central can be the nucleus of a very good conference but they won't get there just playing each other.  They should try to put Denison or Adrian on their schedule as often as possible and go east for Spring Break to play some teams they probably won't beat for a while but will learn from.  That's how it's done.  Look at last year's bracket.  Those late round teams are not facing each other for the first time.  Middlebury goes South to play either Gettysburg or Salisbury in the regular season every year.

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 19, 2013, 06:00:10 AM

NCF....It works the same as basketball.  Conference strength means everything and you are still in the process of putting your conferences together when it comes to lacrosse.  Check out last year's tournament bracket.  www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/lacrosse-women/d3/2011   First round games are as ''local" as possible.  With so few conferences in the Midwest and West,  Denison and Adrian must play each other and Redlands and Occidental must do likewise.  Two one goal margins of victory.  Meanwhile  Middlebury wins 19-1.  Amherst wins 19-1 and Trinity wins 16-1.  Middlebury and Trinity advanced to the Final Four and Trinity won it all so these were very good teams, but none of them played a very good first round opponent.  They were teams that won the championship in much weaker leagues to gain an automatic berth.  When the Midwest puts together a few more competitive conferences then the best teams in the region will not have to beat each other up in the opening round.  If the same is happening in the West even better.  The bracket will have to expand and instead of the best teams in the region having to face each other in the first round they can have the same opportunity to advance as the eastern teams do that play a much lower regional seed.   
From what little I've seen Augustana, Carthage and North Central can be the nucleus of a very good conference but they won't get there just playing each other.  They should try to put Denison or Adrian on their schedule as often as possible and go east for Spring Break to play some teams they probably won't beat for a while but will learn from.  That's how it's done.  Look at last year's bracket.  Those late round teams are not facing each other for the first time.  Middlebury goes South to play either Gettysburg or Salisbury in the regular season every year.
[/quote]
The CCIW won't have a conference for awhile, but North Central does take a spring break trip. This year they went out west to play University of Puget Sound (L 10-18), Pacific U (L 5-13) and Linfield (17-3).  I'm sure as the program gets stronger, they will venture out east to see how they match up against some of the stronger teams in the nation.

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on April 19, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

The CCIW won't have a conference for awhile, but North Central does take a spring break trip. This year they went out west to play University of Puget Sound (L 10-18), Pacific U (L 5-13) and Linfield (17-3).  I'm sure as the program gets stronger, they will venture out east to see how they match up against some of the stronger teams in the nation.

Do you know the CCIW's plans concerning lacrosse?  North Central, Carthage and Augustana are members, as you point out, but they are also presently members of the Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference as well.  There are 6 other schools that are not associated with the CCIW.  There is one other team I noticed last evening that is playing on the club level and will join next season.  I don't recall offhand who it is.  Augustana, Carthage and North Central are by far the best teams at present, which is what I was referring to as the nucleus of a new conference.  The MWLC also has a conference tournament scheduled to begin after the regular season is over.  As competitive as comparative scores show the three top teams to be with the likes of Redlands, Adrian, Denison and Occidental, to name teams that have competed in the NCAA tourney the last two years, the winner of such a conference tournament ought to be playing for an NCAA berth certainly by as soon as next season.   Redlands played in the NCAA's in what seems to be the second year of it's own conference's post-season tournament.  Anyway, it would be difficult to imagine that Augustana, Carthage and North Central are in the NWLC without the CCIW's blessing.

Mr. Ypsi

Schools are free to participate wherever they wish if the CCIW does not sponsor a sport.  Once the CCIW sponsors a sport, I believe members are required to be participants (I can't imagine why any of them would wish otherwise anyway).  There are a limited number of sports that CCIW members are required to participate in; I can't imagine Lacrosse joining that list within a generation, if ever.

I like LAX, but such 'forever' sports as swimming and wrestling have never been in that category.

Vandy74

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 20, 2013, 01:44:53 AM
Schools are free to participate wherever they wish if the CCIW does not sponsor a sport.  Once the CCIW sponsors a sport, I believe members are required to be participants (I can't imagine why any of them would wish otherwise anyway).  There are a limited number of sports that CCIW members are required to participate in; I can't imagine Lacrosse joining that list within a generation, if ever.

I like LAX, but such 'forever' sports as swimming and wrestling have never been in that category.

I expect the CCIW will leave lacrosse alone.  I see that although North Central doesn't have a men's team yet both Augustana and Carthage do.  They play in a league basically made up of the same schools the women's league includes.  Once the champions of those post season tournaments have an automatic bid to the NCAA's, which will certainly be by next season if not this one, the CCIW won't want to interfere.

It's good to hear you like LAX, Mr.Ypsi.  I'll pass the word along to Amh63.

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 20, 2013, 04:57:43 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 20, 2013, 01:44:53 AM

I expect the CCIW will leave lacrosse alone.  I see that although North Central doesn't have a men's team yet both Augustana and Carthage do.  They play in a league basically made up of the same schools the women's league includes.  Once the champions of those post season tournaments have an automatic bid to the NCAA's, which will certainly be by next season if not this one, the CCIW won't want to interfere.

It's good to hear you like LAX, Mr.Ypsi.  I'll pass the word along to Amh63.
A few years ago I might have agreed with you, but with the surge in youth lacrosse participants I could see schools with small numbers in swimming (North Central has six men and fourteen women) could easily drop the sport and add lacrosse. IWU is adding the sport for men and women next season (if I remember a previous post correctly). It might take awhile, but it is coming.

WLCALUM83

Midwest Women's Lacrosse Conference update:

Augustana, North Central, Carthage and Concordia-WI have clinched spots in the conference playoffs.

Augie is the top seed, CUW is fourth.

NCF

The Cards are back in action tomorrow against Carthage, after having their game with Dubuque postponed due to the weather.