Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Stevenson (and Hood) will leave the Capital AC to join the MAC Commonwealth in 2012-13.

Frostburg State had joined the Capital this year to keep the number of baseball playing members at 7, after Gallaudet moved to the NEAC.

Losing both schools changes several dynamics.  In baseball specifically, the CAC will have 6 members in the 2013 and 2014 seasons.  They will keep their Pool A baseball bid during that time.  By fall 2014, they will need another full member, or they will fall back into Pool B for the 2015 season.

Another thought about the Capital AC is that Wesley needs a football conference badly, and Stevenson, a football affiliate of the MAC just left the CAC as its home conference.  Where can Wesley find a football home?

CNU needs a football conference.  What does CNU think about that conference just to their north now?  Does that change anything for them?

Also posted on the baseball Pool B board...

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 05, 2011, 11:10:01 PM
Stevenson (and Hood) will leave the Capital AC to join the MAC Commonwealth in 2012-13.

Frostburg State had joined the Capital this year to keep the number of baseball playing members at 7, after Gallaudet moved to the NEAC.

Losing both schools changes several dynamics.  In baseball specifically, the CAC will have 6 members in the 2013 and 2014 seasons.  They will keep their Pool A baseball bid during that time.  By fall 2014, they will need another full member, or they will fall back into Pool B for the 2015 season.

Another thought about the Capital AC is that Wesley needs a football conference badly, and Stevenson, a football affiliate of the MAC just left the CAC as its home conference.  Where can Wesley find a football home?

CNU needs a football.  What does CNU think about that conference just to their north now?  Does that change anything for them?

Also posted on the baseball Pool B board...

I hear whispers of more conference shake ups
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

Pat Coleman

I'm sure there will be. I don't think all the dominoes have fallen in the USA South, for example.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 07, 2011, 02:41:15 PM
I'm sure there will be. I don't think all the dominoes have fallen in the USA South, for example.

I agree Pat. And maybe a school or two adding football will make things even more interesting ;)
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

bballer1280

I understand that changes will be occurring in the future for the Midwest Conference.  Does anyone have an idea how those changes will evolve in the next couple of years and beyond?

Just Bill

Quote from: bballer1280 on May 09, 2011, 10:34:10 AM
I understand that changes will be occurring in the future for the Midwest Conference.  Does anyone have an idea how those changes will evolve in the next couple of years and beyond?

Man, if I had a finger for every time I heard about changes in the Midwest Conference I could fill a pair of gloves. They have moved into the "I'll believe it when I see it" category.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

bballer1280

The only Midwest Conference re-alignment detail that has occurred that I am definitely aware of is that Cornell College has officially petitioned to join the conference beginning as early as the 2012-2013 academic year.  There application is to be reviewed and voted on by the conference during their spring meetings.  If Cornell's application is approved, that will give the conference 11 members and that is really a bad number in many ways.  So, I do believe that changes to the conference could very easily be ready to take place with the addition of Cornell and, perhaps, at least one other college.

In addition, rumors persist that the seven current Midwest Conference colleges (Beloit, Grinnell, Knox, Lake Forest, Lawrence, Monmouth, and Ripon) that are also members of the Associated Colleges of the Midwest along with Cornell (also a member of the ACM) are giving strong consideration to forming a new D-III conference.  Has anyone heard these rumors and do you have any more information to add to the discussion?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: bballer1280 on May 12, 2011, 12:08:35 PM
The only Midwest Conference re-alignment detail that has occurred that I am definitely aware of is that Cornell College has officially petitioned to join the conference beginning as early as the 2012-2013 academic year.  There application is to be reviewed and voted on by the conference during their spring meetings.  If Cornell's application is approved, that will give the conference 11 members and that is really a bad number in many ways.  So, I do believe that changes to the conference could very easily be ready to take place with the addition of Cornell and, perhaps, at least one other college.

In addition, rumors persist that the seven current Midwest Conference colleges (Beloit, Grinnell, Knox, Lake Forest, Lawrence, Monmouth, and Ripon) that are also members of the Associated Colleges of the Midwest along with Cornell (also a member of the ACM) are giving strong consideration to forming a new D-III conference.  Has anyone heard these rumors and do you have any more information to add to the discussion?

This has been the gist of the discussions that we have had on these boards before.

haterinthehouse

There needs to be a leadership program like this for small college coaches:
http://www.sportleadership.vcu.edu/villa7/index.html

cush

could be upset of the century:

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/05/12/1738180/uk-transylvania-will-renew-basketball.html

i recall depauw playing northwestern and getting blasted but this is a different level.

Pat Coleman

Chapman has joined the SCIAC, ending more than a decade of trying without success.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Should I interpret that faint "Boom!" I just heard as the sound of OxyBob putting a bullet through his head?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

dahlby

chapmanathletics.com   has the Chapman press release along with a link to the SCIAC release.

Pat Coleman

And D3sports.com has a more complete story with some perspective and answers to a couple of follow-up questions.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 12, 2011, 05:50:07 PM
And D3sports.com has a more complete story with some perspective and answers to a couple of follow-up questions.

I thought that this was an interesting point for the 2011-12 season  (emphasis added).

QuoteMembership will take effect on July 1, 2011, and in its first year, Chapman will be ineligible to qualify for league championships. During the transition period, the Panthers will be eligible to qualify solely for at-large bids (Pool C) into NCAA Championships.

Pool C?  No Pool B?  Wow.  UDallas has moved to the SCAC in 2011-12.  Pool B will be down 2.