MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: fightingscot14 on April 15, 2011, 05:35:04 PM
does anyone know anything about the blackburn athletic director search or basketball coach search?

I made a call to Blackburn yesterday and could find no one present in the Athletic Dept ... left a message for the SID, but it's gone unreturned....  I'm assuming the process is still ongoing.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

2 heard on the rumor mill

Blackburn made an offer a week ago, but still no announcement??

Fontbonne retains no 1 assistant....

Can anyone confirm?

Titan Q

Todd Creal picks up another Illinois all-stater, Dylan Guthrie...

Seniors from IBS "Small School" First through Fifth teams...

SMALL SCHOOL PLAYER OF THE YEAR:
AARON ARMSTEAD, 6'4", Senior, Chicago Hales Franciscan  UW-Green Bay (D1)

FIRST TEAM:
KYLE ANDERSON, 6'2", Senior, Newark  Delaware (D1)
SAM FORD, 6'2", Senior, Oregon  
JERROD GASTON, 6'2", Senior, Murphysboro  Vincennes U. (JC)
BRAD HAMILTON, 6'1", Senior, Pittsfield  
JAKOB JUNIS, 6'3", Senior, Rock Falls  North Carolina State (D1) - baseball
JOEL LEARNARD, 6'5", Senior, Catlin Salt Fork  Illinois State (D1) - baseball
TYLER MCLANE, 6'2", Senior, East Dubuque  Wayne State (D2)

SECOND TEAM:
KYLE FLOYD, 6'2", Senior, Windsor  Kaskaskia (JC)
HAYDEN HOERDEMANN, 6'3", Senior, Bloomington Central Catholic  Western Michigan (D1)
JENS KENNEDY, 6'9", Senior, Dwight  Quincy (D2)
COLLIN MINGO, 6'7", Senior, Springfield Calvary Academy  Lindenwood-Belleville (USCAA)
DYLAN OVERSTREET, 6'3", Senior, Paxton-Buckley-Loda  Illinois Wesleyan (D3)
NICK SCHUMACHER, 6'5", Senior, Teutopolis  
CONNOR WHEELER, 6'1", Senior, DuQuoin  Illinois Wesleyan (D3)

THIRD TEAM:
JOHN AVERY, 6'5", Senior, Newark
PAUL BEENE, 5'10", Senior, Chicago Leo
DEREK BOURKE, 6'2", Senior, Nokomis
DYLAN CRAIG, 6'1", Senior, Murphysboro  Illinois State (D1) - baseball
CODEY FUNK, 6'6", Senior, El Paso-Gridley  Western Illinois (D1) - football
DYLAN GUTHRIE, 6'1", Senior, Winchester West Central MacMurray (D3)
PHIL KUNZ, 6'7", Senior, Trenton Wesclin
BRAYDEN TEUSCHER, 6'2", Senior, Rockford Christian  Washington U. (D3)

FOURTH TEAM:
ANDY ADAMS, 6'1", Senior, Orion
COREY AYALA, 6'1", Senior, Metropolis Massac County
SAM BROWN, 6'2", Senior, Nashville
MATT CARLSON, 6'1", Senior, Kewanee
EANN COX, 6'2", Senior, Erie  Kirkwood Community College - baseball
MATT KRAUSE, 6'1", Senior, Deer Creek-Mackinaw  Wheaton (D3) - baseball (basketball?)
ADAM KUNKEL, 5'10", Senior, Red Bud  John A. Logan (JC) - baseball
DAN OLSON, 6'9", Senior, Cullom Tri Point
DRAKE VERMILLION, 6'8", Senior, Beardstown  Quincy (D2)
CLAYTON WHITLOCK, 6'8", Senior, Springfield Calvary Academy  MacMurray (D3)

FIFTH TEAM:
NATE DEVENNEY, Senior, Manlius Bureau Valley
JAKE DEJAEGER, 6'2", Senior, Annawan
MAURICE JOINER, 6'5", Senior, Chicago Leo
ALEX KOCH, 6'5", Senior, Chillicothe Illinois Valley Central
CALVIN LEWIS, 6'5", Senior, Toulon Stark County
MATT MASER, 6'2", Senior, Westville
KODY MICHAEL, 6'9", Senior, Forreston
MICHAEL MURRAY, 6'2", Senior, Princeton  Illinois Valley Community College
CODY OWEN, 6'1", Senior, Chrisman
TERREL WILLIAMS, 5'9", Senior, South Beloit

hopefan

Quote from: Titan Q on April 29, 2011, 05:20:03 PM
Todd Creal picks up another Illinois all-stater, Dylan Guthrie...

Thanks TQ

What's good for Mac is good for the SLIAC!!!   Way to go Coach Creal...

hopefan

Well it took a couple of phone calls, but the info is in

New Blackburn Head Men's coach is Josh Gibson, formerly holding Basketball positions at Sewanee, Murray State, Maryville St Louis (yes, I remember him), and NAIA Indiana U Southeast... 

here is his bio from the Sewanee site:

Josh Gibson returns for his third season as an assistant coach for Sewanee basketball.  He is involved in all facets of the program, serving as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator and assisting with on-court teaching and coaching, player development, and game preparation. 

Prior to arriving at Sewanee, Gibson coached at several levels. His last stop before arriving on the Mountain was at Murray State University (NCAA Division I), where he served as the director of basketball operations for Coach Billy Kennedy. While at MSU in 2007-08, he was part of a staff that helped the Racers finish second in the Ohio Valley Conference and reach the OVC Tournament semifinals. 

In 2006-07, Gibson served as the lead assistant coach at Maryville University of St. Louis (NCAA Division III). While at Maryville, he helped rebuild a program that had lost seven seniors from a conference championship squad. His recruiting class served as the foundation for the team that reached the finals of the St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SLIAC) Tournament the following season.

Coach Gibson's first collegiate coaching position came at NAIA power Indiana University Southeast. In 2005-06, the Grenadiers had an outstanding season, finishing 30-4 and being ranked as high as #7 in the country. They won both the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (KIAC) regular season and tournament titles before falling to eventual NAIA Final Four participant Midwestern Nazarene (KS).

In 2005, Gibson coached "The 'Ville" AAU team at the Mid-American Sports Center in Louisville, Ky. He also possesses extensive basketball camp experience, having served as a counselor and/or director for camps at Sewanee, the University of Louisville, Murray State University, Taylor University (Ind.), and Indiana University Southeast. As a collegiate assistant, Coach Gibson has mentored twelve all-conference selections, including two All-American honorees.

Coach Gibson is a native of Murray, Ky. He graduated from Murray State University in 2003 with a B.A. in History, and again in 2005 with an M.A. in U.S. history and an M.S. in human development. He is currently working on his Ph.D. in educational counseling and leadership from the University of Louisville. Gibson is a member of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the Basketball Coaches' Association of Tennessee. Coach Gibson and his wife, Courtney, live on the mountain with their two children, Haley (3) and Noah (2).

hopefan

Have to chuckle at the new article on the Front of D3hoops... regarding Georgetown (Ky) exploring the possibility of entering D3.....   now then, Georgetown is just north of Lexington, 75 miles east of Louisville and current SLIAC member Spalding...   Wouldn't they make a fine travelling partner????

My pipe dream of an expanded SLIAC

Mac /Blackburn
Prin/Greenville
Fontbonne/Webster
Westmin/someone else out west (William Wood, William Jewell, Central Methodist)
Georgetown/Spalding

Eureka goes to MWC or NathC

Well, I can dream...... ;D ;D ;D

Pat Coleman

Georgetown would dominate the SLIAC and without football, that's not a good fit, unfortunately. The HCAC is a better fit. Maybe even the SCAC.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

haterinthehouse

I would agree, especially from an academic standpoint

hopefan

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on May 04, 2011, 01:59:57 PM
 now then, Georgetown is just north of Lexington, 75 miles east of Louisville and current SLIAC member Spalding...   Wouldn't they make a fine travelling partner????

Transylvania is in Lexington. Centre is in Danville, KY about 25 miles south of Lexington. Either makes a much more natural traveling partner for Georgetown than Spalding. It would surprise me greatly if Georgetown were to look to the SLIAC. I think Pat is right.

Gregory Sager

Georgetown appears to be downsizing its athletic budget, and its inability to compete in the upper echelon of the NAIA in the light of those cutbacks seems to be one of the primary reasons why it is contemplating moving to D3. As attractive a prospect as it would be to join an academically prestigious circuit like the SCAC, if Georgetown is serious about managing the budget it will steer clear of a conference that spans two-thirds of the nation. I'd therefore expect it to join the HCAC.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

y_jack_lok

I know this belongs on the baseball site, but for those who don't go there, just thought you'd be interested: http://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2011/regionals-day-one-wrapup

Titan Q

A couple more MacMurray commitments...

* Hunter Sutton from North Macoupin High School (Girard) -  6'5 forward who averaged 21 PPG and 8 RPG.  He was named Honorable Mention to the AP All-State Team, IBCA Second Team All-State and to the All-Star game at IWU this summer.

* Lincolnland CC transfer Brett Graven, a 2010 IBCA 3rd Team 1A/2A All State guard...played in the 2010 IBCA All-Star Game.

hopefan

It's surprising and disappointing that no other SLIAC coaches choose this site to somehow let out news regarding recruiting....  no they obviously won't post themselves, but several of the coaches know how to reach me through PMs on this site or by email, or they could just as easily get the news out by having a manager or student post... but they don't... SLIAC hoops goes blank for the offseason...  last year I even tried contacting coaches regarding recruiting, but most, if i remember right, made me wait until September or didn't even respond.  At least Fontbonne came out with a vision of a dream class... which unfortunately turned out to be a nightmare flop.  This league, which is full of good guy coaches whom I appreciate 100% during the season, seems little interested in giving their new guys offseason exposure...

Thanks TQ for keeping us up on Mac's recruiting..  add those 4 that TQ has written up, to returnees along with a hoped for reappearance of Brady Slagle, and the potential is at a high level....  I will say that Coach Creal must be a heck of a recruiter....  he starts out with an extremely positive example if recruits watch him coach.. loud, verbal, but VERY positive along with being a strict disciplinarian....  to me, Mac is a tough sell, but Coach obviously does a great job.....

ExDIIIStud

What are peoples projections for sliac teams this upcoming year? along with all-conference projections?