BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYBB

Chris Denorfia from Wheaton College is on the Oakland A's and contributes all the time. 

JAF

Does anyone know where Jim Dougher from Cortland State is? I think I remember him getting drafted by the Blue Jays.

StarvinMarvin

I believe he (Dougher) had a little bit of arm trouble going into camp and ended up in extended spring training.  After the draft he should be in Auburn I'm guessing.

ECSUalum

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on May 07, 2008, 06:23:24 AM
Here's the link that provides Zimmemann's  info on his first start for Harrisburg last night:

http://www.senatorsbaseball.com/2008scores/hbg5060.html

interesting to read off the Zimmermann write-up that there are no D-I baseball   programs in Wisconsin, ie U of W Madison does not have a baseball program.  Seems that  would mean D-II and D-III get most of the top players into thier programs if the kids stay in state.  Interesting!

WLCALUM, thats for posting this

ECSUalum

By the way, Joey Serfass and Ryan DiPietro have been released from Mets AA and Royals A systems, respectively this spring

Matt Cooney still with Greenvile A (Red Sox) and J Lavorgna still with Kingsport Mets Rookie League Team

mr_b

Quote from: ECSUalum on May 24, 2008, 10:40:41 AM
interesting to read off the Zimmermann write-up that there are no D-I baseball   programs in Wisconsin, ie U of W Madison does not have a baseball program.
... except for UW Milwaukee, which is a D1 program that competes in the Horizon League, along with Butler, Cleveland State, Illinois-Chicago, Youngstown, Wright State, and Valparaiso.

Falcon2720

Former 2007 Emory All-American Pitcher Jason Glushon who went undrafted is in Double-A with the Midland Rockhounds of the Texas League.

Bronko7

Quote from: mr_b on May 26, 2008, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: ECSUalum on May 24, 2008, 10:40:41 AM
interesting to read off the Zimmermann write-up that there are no D-I baseball   programs in Wisconsin, ie U of W Madison does not have a baseball program.
... except for UW Milwaukee, which is a D1 program that competes in the Horizon League, along with Butler, Cleveland State, Illinois-Chicago, Youngstown, Wright State, and Valparaiso.
Sorry but the WIAC is a better conference, top 3 of the WIAC would be the top 3 of the Horizon League. If UW-Madison had a team the WIAC big timers could start to worry a little. The fact that there are barely any respectable DII's in the state makes WI a DIII power for a while..

ECSUalum

Bronko,

I would tend to agree with your statement.  WIAC certainly is one of the strongest Conferences in the country.  I was also surprised on how big a student population some of the UW campuses have.

Amyway, great baseball talent in WI!!!

Apologize, thought UW Milwaukee was D-II

AGMAN

Nick Vera - 2007 Graduate of Trinity (TX) University - Johnson City Cardinals (St. Louis)

OshDude

Quote from: ECSUalum on May 27, 2008, 10:20:13 AM
Bronko,

I would tend to agree with your statement.  WIAC certainly is one of the strongest Conferences in the country.  I was also surprised on how big a student population some of the UW campuses have.

Oshkosh will have 13,000+ (~500 increase) next semester. Is that a lot? Lol.

ECSUalum

Quote from: OshDude on May 27, 2008, 07:05:03 PM
Bronko,

Oshdude,

Goes to show that a lot of students think they can get a great eduaction at the D-III UW campuses, and play sports in one of the premier conferences in the nation.

Sorry about UW WW in the CWS.  Will they lose many seniors next year?

mr_b

...thought UW Milwaukee was D-II
Maybe you were thinking of UW Parkside (that other school in Kenosha), which is DII.

OshDude

Quote from: ECSUalum on May 27, 2008, 07:14:21 PM
Quote from: OshDude on May 27, 2008, 07:05:03 PM
Bronko,

Oshdude,

Goes to show that a lot of students think they can get a great eduaction at the D-III UW campuses, and play sports in one of the premier conferences in the nation.

Sorry about UW WW in the CWS.  Will they lose many seniors next year?

Yeah, WW loses quite a bit next year. All but one top pitcher and four big bats will be gone. But if you followed the team at the WS, Zalnis, Munn and Donovan return on offense and Dott returns on the mound.

WW will be very good, but I think the Hawks take a step back behind Oshkosh in our conference next year. That's not me being a homer. Oshkosh should be crazy good next year, bringing back all but one player (No. 3 pitcher) from a very good team this year, and gaining an impact player who missed last year with an injury.

OshDude

Some current and former MLB players who came from what are now D-III schools. I included guys I remember off the top of my head who were not drafted. Feel free to add any I missed or any undrafted D-III MLB players.

From Baseball-reference.com, which I'm told was founded by former Lawrence University students:

CENTRAL REGION
Paul Miller, Carthage
Larry Biittner, Buena Vista
Dan Monzon, Buena Vista
Bill Sampen, MacMurray
Mike Rowland, Millikin
Bake McBride, Westminster

MID-ATLANTIC
Jeff Rineer, Franklin and Marshall
Tom Dettore, Juniata
Keith Glauber, Montclair State
Jay Aldrich, Montclair State