MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spwood

Quote from: spwood on February 24, 2018, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: magicman on February 24, 2018, 10:25:42 PM

The Pool C discussion on this board doesn't even think Hobart is getting in.  No at-large bids for the East Region...
I'll be surprised if Hobart doesn't get an at large bid. 21-5 is usually too good to be overlooked. And they will be the first team from the East Region at the table. Several sources I use both think that Hobart will get a bid.

Also not sure where you read that Hobart won't get in and no at large bids for the East Region. Here's a quote from a front page story on D3hoops that was posted late Saturday night.

Got it here....  Multi-Region topic discussion.

Quote from: Titan Q on February 25, 2018, 09:01:00 AM
My Sunday morning view.  I moved Springfield into spot #21, over Salem State, because I think Springfield will be ranked higher in the final NE ranking.

Projected In...

1. Williams (NE/NESCAC): .800 (20-5)/.595/7-4   vs Wesleyan, Sun
2. Hamilton (NE/NESCAC): .846 (22-4)/.573/6-3  done
3. UW-Platteville (CE/WIAC: .833 (20-4)/.577/4-1   done
4. Whitman (WE/NWC): .962 (25-1)/.515/4-1 done
5. Swarthmore (MA/CC): .815 (22-5)/.542/3-4   done
6. St. John's (WE/MIAC): .880 (22-3)/.524/3-2  done
7. Middlebury (NE/NESCAC): .760 (19-6).590/4-6   done
8. Wooster (GL/NCAC): .778 (21-6)/.565/4-3  done
9. Marietta (GL/OAC): .778 (21-6)/.564/4-5   done
10. New Jersey City (AT/NJAC): .731 (19-7)/.567/6-4   done
11. Emory (SO/UAA): .840 (21-4)/.530/4-2  done
12. Christopher Newport (MA/CAC): .777 (21-6)/.546/3-2   done
13. UW-Oshkosh (CE/WIAC): .741 (20-7)/.554/2-4   done
14. St. Olaf (WE/MIAC): .731 (19-7)/.544/3-2   done
15. Albright (MA/Commonwealth): .769 (20-6)/.544/3-2   done
16. Franklin and Marshall (MA/CC): .769 (20-6)/.536/3-4   done
17. LeTourneau (SO/ASC): .852 (23-4)/.511/2-2   done
18. North Central (CE/CCIW): .692 (18-8)/.563/4-5   done
19. Illinois Wesleyan (CE/CCIW): .731 (19-7)/.550/3-6   done
20. Augsburg (WE/MIAC): .741 (20-7)/.539/4-3   @ Bethel, Sun - with a win today, moves to Pool A
21. Springfield (NE/NEWMAC): .692 (18-8)/.558/4-2  done

Left at the table...
* Amherst (NE/NESCAC): .680 (17-8)/.570/4-6
* UW-River Falls (CE/WIAC): .692 (18-8)/.586/3-6   @ UW-Stevens Point, Sun
* Hobart (East/LL): .808 (21-5)/.526/1-2  done
* Loras (WE/IIAC): .731 (19-7)/.542/2-3   done
* Gwynedd Mercy (AT/CSAC): .769 (20-6)/.519/2-3  done
* Ohio Wesleyan (GL/NCAC): .679 (19-9)/.564/3-5  done
* Juniata (MA/LAND)  done
* Texas-Dallas (SO/ASC)  done

magicman

I spotted Titan Q's list earlier today and figured that was where you got your info.  I think he's wrong and Hobart gets in.

I believe that D3hoops will have a show tonight on Hoopsville where they do a projected 64 team field and where they will go. That's usually fairly accurate.

spwood

Quote from: magicman on February 25, 2018, 01:36:59 PM
I spotted Titan Q's list earlier today and figured that was where you got your info.  I think he's wrong and Hobart gets in.

I believe that D3hoops will have a show tonight on Hoopsville where they do a projected 64 team field and where they will go. That's usually fairly accurate.

My question looking at his list, though, is which team would Hobart replace?  SOS and record against ranked teams doesn't seem to compare well with the teams he has listed getting in.  Unless Win % is weighted heavily...

Bengalsrule

Congrats to Magicman and his Cards..  Going from the " outhouse" ( no playoffs last year), to the penthouse ( reg season and conference champ) in 1 year is no small task.   Here's to hoping that they make it Salem!

Go CARDS!

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on February 25, 2018, 02:27:25 AM
Quote from: AllStar on February 25, 2018, 12:08:11 AM
Congratulations, magicman!  Good luck to your Cardinals in the NCAA Tournament!

Thanks AllStar,

Hoping we get to host a pod. If you want to make the trip over to take in the tournament and need a place to stay you're welcome to spend the night at my house.

Wow, All Star.  That's a pretty serious offer from the Magic 1.  I've been to Plattsburgh at least 8 times and not once have I been invited to the Magic castle.  I've been in his Magic chariot a few times and even his magic music shop. But never his castle.

spwood

Raise your hand if you had Brockport getting in..... The East Committee must have dropped Hobart to third in the final regional ranking.  Anyone have the comparison of Hobart and Brockport handy?  I'm at work and can't look it up right now.

AllStar

Have a fun run in the NCAA's, magicman!  Here are the two brackets that feature SUNYAC teams:

magicman

No surprise as D3hoops #21 Plattsburgh State is chosen to host a first round pod of 4 teams in the NCAA tournament. The Cardinals will play D3hoops #22 Nichols State, from Dudley Massachusetts, winner of the Commonwealth Coast Conference 's automatic bid. Nichols was 25-3 this year and is a repeat entry into the NCAA as they were in the tournament last year.  They beat a favored Neumann team in the first round and then lost to conference foe, Endicott, who they were playing for the 4th time, (twice in the regular season, once in the conference playoffs and then in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament.)

Nichols has a big time scorer on their team, Marcos Echevarria and 4 other guys that all average double figures. They average over 91 ppg and give up 76 ppg. There should be plenty of points scored in this matchup.

The big surprise of the day and a pleasant one, was Brockport State getting an at large bid into the tournament and the Hobart Statesmen getting left at home. Apparently the national committee that awards the at large bids thought that Brockport had enough things in its favor to put them over Hobart. Brockport had a slightly higher SOS that Hobart, .529 to .524, and Hobart also had a 1-2 record against regionally ranked opponents, while the Golden Eagles were 3-3 in that category. I'm sure they also felt the head to head win of Brockport over Hobart had considerable merit.

Happy to see two YAC teams dancing. Didn't anticipate that happening after Oneonta Bulled its way into the championship game. (And yes that was a play on words there. :D)

Glad to see the Golden Eagles get another chance and I think they can win that first round game against MIT. The Brockport website will now have to redo their last write-up... This was the headline:   "SPECTACULAR SEASON ENDS WITH SEMI-FINAL LOSS" (to Oneonta).

Plattsburgh State's Tom Curle is in his 15th season as the Cardinals' head coach and this is his 8th trip to the NCAA tournament in that time. That's the best record in the East Region of any current coach. It's his 5th SUNYAC title in that time as well.     

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's unfair to Plattsburgh and to Nichols.  Plattsburgh should be playing New England College.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

spwood

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2018, 04:50:25 PM

It's unfair to Plattsburgh and to Nichols.  Plattsburgh should be playing New England College.

I wondered about this as well.  Wouldn't this have made a better (potential) second round game?

As for Brockport and Hobart, how does the regional ranking work?  Is there a committee dedicated to the East region that ranks the teams.  If so, it would seem they saw the writing on the wall with Hobart's bid and decided to put Brockport on the table first?  They both went 0-1 last week, right?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: spwood on February 26, 2018, 05:32:32 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2018, 04:50:25 PM

I wondered about this as well.  Wouldn't this have made a better (potential) second round game?

As for Brockport and Hobart, how does the regional ranking work?  Is there a committee dedicated to the East region that ranks the teams.  If so, it would seem they saw the writing on the wall with Hobart's bid and decided to put Brockport on the table first?  They both went 0-1 last week, right?

They don't get to consider "liklihood of being selected" as part of that ranking criteria.  What I believe happened is that head-to-head, Brockport has the better resume (and a win over Hobart), however, they haven't been next to each other in the rankings before this week (Plattsburgh was in between), so they weren't ever compared to each other.  Once Plattsburgh jumped to #1, then the committee looked at both schools and realized Brockport needed to be ahead.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

magicman

spwood,

I sent you a PM explaining what probably happened concerning Hobart and Brockport.  Didn't you get it?

spwood

ronk

Quote from: magicman on February 26, 2018, 07:45:06 PM
spwood,

I sent you a PM explaining what probably happened concerning Hobart and Brockport.  Didn't you get it?

Would u send it to me, also? I don't understand why they were reversed from the 3rd regional ranking when all that changed was that each lost a conference playoff game.

magicman

Quote from: ronk on February 27, 2018, 12:18:52 AM
Quote from: magicman on February 26, 2018, 07:45:06 PM
spwood,

Would u send it to me, also? I don't understand why they were reversed from the 3rd regional ranking when all that changed was that each lost a conference playoff game.

Sending you a reply in the next few minutes.