MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on January 16, 2017, 09:44:21 AM
Hasa

Good luck the rest of the way. Does not appear HSC will be in the conversation yet again, unless they go on an unbelievable roll the remainder of the season. Not seen them play but they must be really struggling. I wish the level of play the odac b'ball was once known for would return. Don't know if that is possible but it sure was fun watching odac advance to final four; GC, VWC, RMC & HSC, RC back in the day.
Thanks, tfa2.  My nervousness in the next 10 games begins Wednesday night at E&H.  I also wish the ODAC could return to the upper echelon, but we do seem to be in the middle of the pack at the moment.  Other than 6-0 RMC and GC, I give E&H, VWC and perhaps LC a shot at this year's title.  Things go in cycles ... I think HSC will be back!  One thing in Guilford's favor ... Coach Palombo is in his 14th season at Guilford and he's had 2 national POY's, 2 trips to the Final Four and only one losing season ... makes recruiting easier.

hasanova

When I recapped the Bridgewater at Guilford men's basketball game on 14-Janurary, I forgot to mention that former Eagles HC Bill Leatherman was in attendance.  I do not know Coach Leatherman personally, but know what he meant to BC basketball and the ODAC.  He also recruited my nephew in his Senior High School season in 2003-2004, but my nephew chose to play for both Newberry and Brevard in DII.

tigerFanAlso2

yep, Coach Palombo does make a difference. Quakers rarely beat themselves and seem to win most of the time when the talent of the opposition is as good or slightly better than what Guilford has. That is certainly a result of solid bench coaching and game control.

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on January 16, 2017, 04:08:02 PM
yep, Coach Palombo does make a difference. Quakers rarely beat themselves and seem to win most of the time when the talent of the opposition is as good or slightly better than what Guilford has. That is certainly a result of solid bench coaching and game control.
Thanks and I agree ... I think his teams are well coached and cohesive.

DeWayneCarter

Haven't seen anyone mention the VWC/Lynchburg game but Zack Burnett is a PLAYER. Could have had 40+ vs VWC if he didn't miss free throws and a couple threes didn't rim out.

And it seems as if VWC is starting to get some production from guys other than Khory Moore. Sophomore Keijon Honore came off the bench and had 29 points on 10-12 shooting for the Marlins. Freshman big man Lamont Stewart had 8 and 6 in 13 minutes. He has the potential to be a player. Strong kid who can step out and hit the 3. If they can continue to get production from those two guys, I think that will help VWC be less dependent on Moore and will help them be a more dangerous team come ODAC Tourney time

tigerFanAlso2

Not making excuses because I know better, HSC is in a 10 game stretch and only two games at Fleet.
Pretty bad scheduling/pretty bad playing

hasanova

Quote from: DeWayneCarter on January 17, 2017, 10:57:04 AM
Haven't seen anyone mention the VWC/Lynchburg game but Zack Burnett is a PLAYER. Could have had 40+ vs VWC if he didn't miss free throws and a couple threes didn't rim out.

And it seems as if VWC is starting to get some production from guys other than Khory Moore. Sophomore Keijon Honore came off the bench and had 29 points on 10-12 shooting for the Marlins. Freshman big man Lamont Stewart had 8 and 6 in 13 minutes. He has the potential to be a player. Strong kid who can step out and hit the 3. If they can continue to get production from those two guys, I think that will help VWC be less dependent on Moore and will help them be a more dangerous team come ODAC Tourney time
Looked up the LC/VWC box ... 37 for Burnett ... real strong!

y_jack_lok

Not sure why there is no video link available for tonight's R-MC at SU game. I'm pretty sure I watched a game broadcast from SU two seasons ago.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 18, 2017, 04:00:04 PM
Not sure why there is no video link available for tonight's R-MC at SU game. I'm pretty sure I watched a game broadcast from SU two seasons ago.
It should be there ... I watched GC at SU earlier this season. 

CMR

There is video, but it's not very good, bad angle, looks like a high school gym.

hasanova

Quote from: CMR on January 18, 2017, 07:28:42 PM
There is video, but it's not very good, bad angle, looks like a high school gym.
Never been inside, but know it's one of the smallest gyms in the ODAC ... just ahead of Randolph probably.

hasanova

The E&H announcers keep saying it's a media timeout.  If you only have one broadcast outlet, wouldn't it be a medium timeout?  :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hasanova on January 18, 2017, 09:27:24 PM
The E&H announcers keep saying it's a media timeout.  If you only have one broadcast outlet, wouldn't it be a medium timeout?  :)

Yeah, but how many listeners know Latin? ;D

You'd confuse the hell outa NFL fans if you said stadia instead of stadiums!  (And, no doubt, confuse the hell out of most NFL broadcasters too! :D)

hasanova

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 18, 2017, 09:46:19 PM
Quote from: hasanova on January 18, 2017, 09:27:24 PM

Yeah, but how many listeners know Latin? ;D

You'd confuse the hell outa NFL fans if you said stadia instead of stadiums!  (And, no doubt, confuse the hell out of most NFL broadcasters too! :D)
Well, it was played in a gymnasium.  :)  I confuse the infernum out of most people, so nothing new there.  lol  I come, I jaw, I confuse.

hasanova

Final Guilford 76, Emory & Henry 59 in Emory, VA

Several pleasant surprises for the Quakers tonight at E&H:

Wasps only scored 59
Guilford shot over 50% (27 of 53)
Quakers shot a respectable 8 of 18 on 3FG's
Quakers shot a phenomenal (for them) 14 of 15 on FTs
GC only committed 9 fouls
GC outrebounded the taller Wasps 37-20

I was worried about this game ... it had "trap" written all over it, but the Quakers had a great 2nd half.

Guilford (14-2, 7-0) hosts HSC on Saturday and E&H (10-6, 4-3) travels to Bridgewater.