2019 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, October 06, 2018, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Nice write up.

Also, Augustana has only played Wheaton twice this season, I believe.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 07, 2019, 11:48:50 PM
Nice write up.

Also, Augustana has only played Wheaton twice this season, I believe.

You are right, misprint there. Just fixed my post.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 07, 2019, 10:16:37 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Whitman got from Syracuse to Clinton in ninety minutes, baggage claim and all. Hancock Airport is very close to the Thruway, and, as bad as upstate winters get, it takes a tremendous snowstorm to overwhelm the Thruway's snow removal fleet. I'll bet that the Thruway was clear this week. It's about an hour from Syracuse to Clinton via the Thruway -- get off at the Westmoreland exit, take Route 233 south right to Clinton. The Hamilton campus is right off of 233. I've taken that ride before.

Every once in awhile ... I flip Albany and Syracuse in my head for travel times between Utica and those destinations. Did it again tonight.

My mother's family is Utica based, so I know the area pretty well (except for the aforementioned flip). My grandfather spent a number of years "commuting" to Albany and then when he retired from that job he spent a number of years "commuting" to Syracuse. So, I tend to flip them when thinking about the trip. That said, I've driven the Albany-Utica route ... more times than I can count and certainly remember the Syracuse-Utica route quite well.

I actually drove the Syracuse-Utica route in a massive snow storm exactly 18 years ago. My grandfather had passed and his memorial service was at Hamilton (we were staying in Utica/New Hartford, I think, not Clinton). I would normally drive up Route 12 from Binghamton (from Baltimore), but because of the storm, I stayed on the interstates. I was basically the only vehicle heading eastbound from Syracuse that night (around midnight). My timing even had the fleet of plows heading westbound.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 08, 2019, 01:07:32 AM
It doesn't surprise me that Whitman got from Syracuse to Clinton in ninety minutes, baggage claim and all. Hancock Airport is very close to the Thruway, and, as bad as upstate winters get, it takes a tremendous snowstorm to overwhelm the Thruway's snow removal fleet. I'll bet that the Thruway was clear this week. It's about an hour from Syracuse to Clinton via the Thruway -- get off at the Westmoreland exit, take Route 233 south right to Clinton. The Hamilton campus is right off of 233. I've taken that ride before.

Every once in awhile ... I flip Albany and Syracuse in my head for travel times between Utica and those destinations. Did it again tonight.

My mother's family is Utica based, so I know the area pretty well (except for the aforementioned flip). My grandfather spent a number of years "commuting" to Albany and then when he retired from that job he spent a number of years "commuting" to Syracuse. So, I tend to flip them when thinking about the trip. That said, I've driven the Albany-Utica route ... more times than I can count and certainly remember the Syracuse-Utica route quite well.

I actually drove the Syracuse-Utica route in a massive snow storm exactly 18 years ago. My grandfather had passed and his memorial service was at Hamilton (we were staying in Utica/New Hartford, I think, not Clinton). I would normally drive up Route 12 from Binghamton (from Baltimore), but because of the storm, I stayed on the interstates. I was basically the only vehicle heading eastbound from Syracuse that night (around midnight). My timing even had the fleet of plows heading westbound.

Thanks for the memories. I used to live in Plattsburgh. My dad's job was to keep the runways free of snow so that the B-52's could take off and land.

Pat Coleman

rmc1982, you totally could have gotten that point across without all the ALL CAPS and the SHOUTING.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CNU85

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 08, 2019, 11:02:31 AM
rmc1982, you totally could have gotten that point across without all the ALL CAPS and the SHOUTING.

Also - I didn't notice anyone saying they are not worthy opponents.

txg

Picking one team to win a game is not the same as saying the other team is unworthy.

Also, speaking of Quakers, Swarthmore used to be the Little Quakers long ago.  The more you know...

Gregory Sager

I love that drive up Route 12! That's a classic small-town-America drive.

Quote from: CNU85 on March 08, 2019, 10:32:15 AMThanks for the memories. I used to live in Plattsburgh. My dad's job was to keep the runways free of snow so that the B-52's could take off and land.

Your dad was a busy man for about five months a year. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

KnightSlappy

Randolph-Macon at Swarthmore certainly looks like the game of the night.
My efficiency ratings model likes Swarthmore to outscore Randolph-Macon by 0.3 points over 40 minutes, giving them a 51% chance to win!

http://tomaroonandgold.blogspot.com/p/division-iii-mens-basketball-efficiency.html

rmc1982

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers -just taking up for our ODAC teams.... I beg to differ in the picks against us but I'm a little biased. I do think that Guilford stands a better chance than my Jackets because if the rebounding but it remains to be seen if Swarthmore can take us.... if we shoot well the scales tip in our favor....
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 08, 2019, 12:46:40 PM

It really is a good drive. Slightly annoying when people are poking along. I don't want to rush the trip, but I also don't want to be dragging my feet (especially since heading north, the trip is already four to five hours old).

That said, I have noticed recently that map systems now suggest going up I 81 to Route 8 and then north. Something I've always wondered about, but never considered faster. I am sure I will test it out again - at least I hope I will (some family still lives in Remsen and extended family, even a high school classmate[!] in Clinton).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

What RMC has to watch out for is the opening minutes. They need to be ready. Swarthmore is going to come out gunning and at full speed. They have done it all year and we saw an extreme example of it against MIT. RMC cannot afford to be sluggish, not completely ready, or slightly off shooting wise in the opening ten, or so, minutes. If they aren't ready, Swarthmore could be up 15 points in a blink of an eye and the game is going to change quickly.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: rmc1982 on March 08, 2019, 12:59:29 PM
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers -just taking up for our ODAC teams.... I beg to differ in the picks against us but I'm a little biased. I do think that Guilford stands a better chance than my Jackets because if the rebounding but it remains to be seen if Swarthmore can take us.... if we shoot well the scales tip in our favor....

Tell us a little bit about your team!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Conts Fan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 08, 2019, 12:46:40 PM
Agreed...I made that trip many, many times going to school. Veering off onto 12B is even better...takes you right through Colgate (in the village of Hamilton, which frequently confused people).

BobbyO

At Carver Center. Wheaton is rumored to be bringing 400 fans. Had to move to the other end of the court. So I will be up close at the end with Augie right in front of me.