MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Unfortunately Jurlina ended up at the line at the end of a game again. Missed a 1 and 1 and UTS hits an off balance game winning 3.

Don't know how Whitworth wasn't in the double bonus after 25 minutes. UTD was shooting 2 with about 6 min left in the second half. But it never should have come to that with Whitworth blowing a huge lead. Congrats to UTD, they battled and gave themselves a chance at the end!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: playball on March 05, 2014, 12:40:13 AM
Will D3 ever get a tournament style like D1?  Financial decisions can't be his behind while the NCAA is raking in BUCKS!

Correction: D1 football and D1 men's basketball are raking in bucks thanks to fat TV contracts. It's their money, and D3 is basically their welfare case. It's hard to gripe about what you're given when you're the one with your hand out.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

playball

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 08, 2014, 10:12:45 PM
Will D3 ever get a tournament style like D1?  Financial decisions can't be his behind while the NCAA is raking in BUCKS!

Correction: D1 football and D1 men's basketball are raking in bucks thanks to fat TV contracts. It's their money, and D3 is basically their welfare case. It's hard to gripe about what you're given when you're the one with your hand out.

All are under the umbrella of the NCAA. 

A Buc Forever

Another great year for the Bucs. Huge year for WW athletics next year. The first year of Logie coaching just his guys. Also the first year of a new football coach. Basketball and football are over.  Time to go fishing. 

playball

One of the best games statistically from Farnsworth, too bad WW gave up so many FT shots.  Rough way to end a season, but technically only one team is happy at the end of the year.  Great NWC season and I'm already looking forward to next year!  Man, I wish the college sports over here we're set up more like a European club system...I could still be playing!!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: playball on March 09, 2014, 01:23:04 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 08, 2014, 10:12:45 PM

All are under the umbrella of the NCAA.

But Division III only gets 3.18% of that budget, so unless you can change the NCAA constitution, you really do need to accept reality that there isn't a lot of money to fund Division III championships.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

blackhawks4

I had all but called it a year on the ole' posting up board and had turned my attention to Mesa, where my beloved Cubbies are fine tuning their youngsters for a World Series run. But last night I got sidetracked back here after WW's OT session.

To my suprise, a month later, are we really still mocking Bridgeland being amongst the elite at our level in the country? You do remember that we're talking about a coach that inherited a 1-15 team that had been over .500 in the nwc 1 time in 20 years, right? Some things are worth repeating: A 1-15 team that had been over .500 one time in 20 years.  And now we talk about Walla Walla competing for the NWC title on a yearly basis.

If you'll recall, he also built UPS into a national contender. He's made it as far into the tourney as any of your underachieving Whitworth teams. Listen I'm not here to rub anything in, it's not my posting style. I tend to do my talking beforehand, and then praise afterwards. Butlast night, are you (expletive) kidding me?? Are you? You play against a press all conference and that's what you've got in the last 5 minutes of the game?

Whitworth fans: Excuse the analogy because this isn't meant to spark a tuition debate. You're the kid who's born into wealth, and then brags to his friends about being rich.

You should win the conference every year (facilities, tuition, reputation, academic standards). You should. Please....I'm begging you...strive for more. Be better. I'm so sick of watching you flounder in the early round of the tournaments and then praising your team for a job well done. It's not a job well done. You should be better.

And I'm sorry boys, but can we at least see Logie win with his own players? Because if you ask me, WW has gotten worse every year. What has Bridgeland ever inherited? Anybody? He built these programs on his own. And while we're on it, WW fans questioning Hayfords ability, huh? Nice. It pains me to say this, but I thought Hayford was a heck of a coach.

Nice to see a few others willing to make some predictions for next year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Whitman.

(509)Rat

I'm just glad blackhawks is sticking around. Would have thought a Bridgeland disciple would have moved on a long time ago.

playball

Quote from: blackhawks4 on March 09, 2014, 03:06:17 PM
I had all but called it a year on the ole' posting up board and had turned my attention to Mesa, where my beloved Cubbies are fine tuning their youngsters for a World Series run.

Off topic but watch out for CJ Edwards.   A great young prospect who was drafted way late (47th rd) and has over achieved.

Bridgeland also has the highest budget in the league, he should also be doing better

A Buc Forever

I had all but called it a year on the ole' posting up board and had turned my attention to Mesa, where my beloved Cubbies are fine tuning their youngsters for a World Series run. But last night I got sidetracked back here after WW's OT session.

To my suprise, a month later, are we really still mocking Bridgeland being amongst the elite at our level in the country? You do remember that we're talking about a coach that inherited a 1-15 team that had been over .500 in the nwc 1 time in 20 years, right? Some things are worth repeating: A 1-15 team that had been over .500 one time in 20 years.  And now we talk about Walla Walla competing for the NWC title on a yearly basis.

If you'll recall, he also built UPS into a national contender. He's made it as far into the tourney as any of your underachieving Whitworth teams. Listen I'm not here to rub anything in, it's not my posting style. I tend to do my talking beforehand, and then praise afterwards. Butlast night, are you (expletive) kidding me?? Are you? You play against a press all conference and that's what you've got in the last 5 minutes of the game?

Whitworth fans: Excuse the analogy because this isn't meant to spark a tuition debate. You're the kid who's born into wealth, and then brags to his friends about being rich.

You should win the conference every year (facilities, tuition, reputation, academic standards). You should. Please....I'm begging you...strive for more. Be better. I'm so sick of watching you flounder in the early round of the tournaments and then praising your team for a job well done. It's not a job well done. You should be better.

And I'm sorry boys, but can we at least see Logie win with his own players? Because if you ask me, WW has gotten worse every year. What has Bridgeland ever inherited? Anybody? He built these programs on his own. And while we're on it, WW fans questioning Hayfords ability, huh? Nice. It pains me to say this, but I thought Hayford was a heck of a coach.

Nice to see a few others willing to make some predictions for next year. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Whitman.

I have to agree that WW never does as well as I think they should in the tournament.  For example, the 2011 team losing in the Elite 8--The Mariotta coach said WW was the best Divison III team he'd ever seen.  May be true, but they lost to Wooster the next night.  I think there are several reasons for the underachievement.  You can point to issues with the team. I didn't like how much Hayford relied on isolation plays in tight games. Puts too much pressure on one guy and takes the rest of your team out of the game. You can point to how the tournament is set up. In 2011 it was the equivalent of two #1 seeds playing in the Elite 8.  Also, the top #1 seed was playing Sweet 16 and Elite 8 games on the road. This year, the #12 ranked Pirates--equivalent to a #3 seed were playing on the road in the second round. However, I am proud of how well we have performed in our conference and in non-league regular season over the last decade.

Logie will be fine next year. Maybe someone else besides WW will win league, but my prediction is WW wins it all going away next year.  From what I've seen he and Hayford have different strengths and weaknesses, but they are both high level coaches.

As for teasing about Bridgeland--we all know he can coach, but we aren't going to let anyone say he's better than our guys--especially when we keep beating him. Not to mention that WM was the only team that kept us from two consecutive perfect seasons.

As for the fact that we should win our league every year because of "facilities, tuition, reputation, academic standards" I don't get it.  Facilities?  We play in a glorified airport hangar (at least according to playball). That place was built long before I went there. Not many upgrades other than the wood floor (thankfully those rubber Tartan floors are history) and the stands.  What makes the atmosphere are the students showing up and going crazy.  I can assure you that WW has spent less on basketball facilities than any other school in the conference. I guess that big plastic curtain improves the look a lot, but what did that cost?  $5000? Tuition may be less, but not that much.  Then you mention reputation vs academic standards--I don't get this. So you are saying that we have have lower standards but a better reputation?  Whitworth does more than anyone else with less talented kids.  You don't need a better selling point than that for a college.  Bring us your low achieving high school students and we'll make them academic superstars.  This must be why U.S. News and Report keeps calling us one of the best deals in higher education.  Thanks for noticing. 

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

In the "House that Ad Built" Linfield has one of the premier basketball venues in the NWC. I'm not sure the student support is there given the lackluster attendance at home football games (assuming that students would support both sports equally). Back in the day there was a very good South 40 student section with the origin in the old Riley gym. I'd expect with some on court success students would start to show up again although at what level remains to be seen. As well, if the new coach reached out to student organizations that would help.

I attended Linfield's last home game and the thing that stood out is a need for 2-3 bigs... Guys 6'8" at least who can defend the rim, rebound and start fast breaks, and crash the offensive glass.  Our backcourt just need another year of weights and experience as they seemed to be very solid D3 athletes.  I'd expect us to be much improved next season. Still need a next level player or two on the roster to make any conference noise.

A Buc Forever

Quote from: Walla Walla Wildcat on March 11, 2014, 02:25:50 PM
I attended Linfield's last home game and the thing that stood out is a need for 2-3 bigs... Guys 6'8" at least who can defend the rim, rebound and start fast breaks, and crash the offensive glass.  Our backcourt just need another year of weights and experience as they seemed to be very solid D3 athletes.  I'd expect us to be much improved next season. Still need a next level player or two on the roster to make any conference noise.

You want two or three 6' 8" guys that can "defend the rim, rebound and start fast breaks, and crash the offensive glass".  So does every other D III team in the nation.  DIII teams need to find players that were overlooked because they play bigger than there size, are late bloomers, play smarter if they are a step slower, were overshadowed by big time stars on their high school team, come from small programs where they were missed, maybe they want to play two sports or whatever.  You aren't going to find 6' 8" guys that you don't need to develop.  None of WW's bigs came out of high school ready to play. Nate Montgomery grew a lot between the end of high school and before he started playing in college.  To expect to have 2 or 3 guys 6'8" guys on a DIII team that can contribute is not realistic. 

As for your guards, you might have one that can compete with the upper level guys in the league if he develops, but I didn't see anyone that is going to dominate Jurlina or Love any time soon.  Linfield needs a whole different level of player to be competitive in the league.  Your backcourt needs more than weights and experience.

OxyBob

I had all but called it a year on the ole' posting up board and had turned my attention to Mesa, where my beloved Cubbies are fine tuning their youngsters for a World Series run.

With baseball season upon us, it's always a good time to post this oldie but a goodie:

A man was walking along the beach when he came upon an empty corked bottle. He picked it up and pulled out the cork, and suddenly in a cloud of mist a genie appeared. "Oh, thank you for freeing me, most gracious master," exclaimed the genie. "As a token of my great appreciation, I will grant you one wish."

The man pulled a folded-up world map from his back pocket and handed it to the genie. "My wish is for peace in the Middle East."

The genie handed the map back and scoffed, "That's impossible! Not even I with my genie powers can do that! I will therefore grant you another wish."

The man thought for a moment and said, "OK, I wish to see the Chicago Cubs win the World Series."

The genie replied, "Let me see that map again."

OxyBob

Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat

We had 5-6 guys that were 6'7" to 6'8" when I was at Linfield and each was a solid contributor... granted that was in NAIA days when athletes received partial scholarships.. Joel Holland, Konrad Ross, Beau Burggraff, Todd Baker, Jasone McGary and I'm sure I'm missing a guy or two... maybe all those guys are going NAIA and the Cascade Conference where they can still get scholarship dollars... that makes sense given how it seems the Cascade has the upper hand against the NWC lately (top to bottom).

At the D3 level teams in football and basketball need to have "next level" players.. guys who would be players at the D2 level at a minimum.. not bench players.. but starters by their upper class years...  Does Linfield have any players on its roster right now that would play at a good D2 school? Probably not...

Does our current roster have some guys who will be solid NWC players?  Yes.  All conference type guys? POY players? Maybe in a few years for conference honors but not POY caliber. 

However, with that said I will stick to my guns and say that Linfield men's basketball is the sleeping giant in the NWC.  At a minimum each year we play for conference titles in 2 of the 3 major men's sports. That kind of success at some point has to translate over to basketball as the pool of athletes is similar... kids that have good enough grades to get into the school, have the financials to pay for it, and the athletic ability to play at that level. 

Each school in the NWC is different enough that there are going to be guys that wouldn't consider Whitman or Whitworth because of where they are located.  There are going to be guys that love those two schools because of their location. Same can be said for each school in the conference... a good fit at Lewis and Clark might not be a good fit at Linfield...

It would be interesting to hear what Linfield's new coach has to say about the support he has received from the administration at Linfield.  Are they giving him what he needs to be successful? I'd hope so as lack of support was one reason cited for the recent slump..

blackhawks4

A Buc, very nice rebuttal.

I too think Logie will be fine next year. Not just because it's hard to screw the WW job up, but I've seen him a handful of times now and I like him.  However, he's in a position where anything less than a conference title is a failure.

And how could one not think highly of WW? Whitworth demands respect. My goodness, they've won the nwc the last 10 yrs in a row?! But it's time to take the next step. Duke and NC don't celebrate ACC titles. It's time for a national presence.

Linfield has no excuse.

Playball, Bridgeland had the highest budget, he should be doing better. Care to elaborate? And why does Bridgeland have the highest budget?

Not bad Oxy Bob, not bad.