Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Bill

Officially, UW-Superior leaves the WIAC for the UMAC in 2015-16. Except for ice hockey.

http://www.wiacsports.com/news/2014/5/7/GEN_0507142824.aspx
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Cubbieboy

DIII baseball conference & regionals should all have internet streaming (with multiple camera angles) available (or the regional should not be allowed to host)

Pat Coleman

Can't argue with that, but I'll just say that sometimes there are not multiple schools willing to even bid to host a regional. It's a pretty thankless job.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Just Bill

And it's hard to do since the semester has usually ended, so the student work force is depleted. It's also the only non-Finals site bid in Division III that is pre-determined and therefore the host school is not guaranteed to be participating.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

lefty2

When a school bids to host a baseball regional, they are bidding to host a baseball tournament - not produce a tv show. 

While not required, we provided video for every game the last two years.

As far as conference tournaments, there are many sites that don't even have internet access.

Thankfully, if a host school makes the tournament, they are guaranteed to play in their home regional.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

Ron Boerger

Well, well, the other shoe finally dropped, the SEC (and the so-called Power 5 conferences by extension) threaten the NCAA to either give them more autonomy or they'll take their ball and form a "Division IV".

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11008001/sec-ponders-potential-move-division-iv-ncaa-provide-autonomy

QuoteSEC Commissioner Mike Slive said if the Power Five conferences -- which also include the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big 12, the Power Ten and the Pac-12 -- don't get the flexibility needed to create their own bylaws, the next step would be to move to "Division IV."

"It's not something we want to do," Slive said on the final day of the SEC meetings. "We want to the ability to have autonomy in areas that has a nexus to the well-being of student athletes. I am somewhat optimistic it will pass, but if it doesn't, our league would certainly want to move to a Division IV. My colleagues, I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd be surprised if they didn't feel the same way."

I think Division Zero is a better name.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 30, 2014, 06:19:49 PM
Well, well, the other shoe finally dropped, the SEC (and the so-called Power 5 conferences by extension) threaten the NCAA to either give them more autonomy or they'll take their ball and form a "Division IV".

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11008001/sec-ponders-potential-move-division-iv-ncaa-provide-autonomy

QuoteSEC Commissioner Mike Slive said if the Power Five conferences -- which also include the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big 12, the Power Ten and the Pac-12 -- don't get the flexibility needed to create their own bylaws, the next step would be to move to "Division IV."

"It's not something we want to do," Slive said on the final day of the SEC meetings. "We want to the ability to have autonomy in areas that has a nexus to the well-being of student athletes. I am somewhat optimistic it will pass, but if it doesn't, our league would certainly want to move to a Division IV. My colleagues, I can't speak for anybody else, but I'd be surprised if they didn't feel the same way."

That's way, way more preferable than ditching the NCAA altogether.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sunny

Quote from: Hoops Fan on May 31, 2014, 04:39:42 PM

You know, if you subscribe to the theory that Division I is the "highest" form of collegiate athletics, then "Division IV" might suit those schools perfectly well ...

Ron Boerger

Initially, you may be right, but once they have their own little division how long do you think it will be until they start saying "we don't want any of our money going to any D1 schools or anyone but our division" ?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 31, 2014, 06:23:09 PM

Initially, you may be right, but once they have their own little division how long do you think it will be until they start saying "we don't want any of our money going to any D1 schools or anyone but our division" ?

A few years more than it would be if they just left the NCAA now.

sbparent

Bishopleftiesdad

I wonder if any of this is reaction to what is going on in D1 and some of the recent rulings.

Just Bill

I don't think particular piece is. That's been discussed for a long time. We'll see if it passes a vote of the full D-III membership.

jknezek

Considering the size of the ODAC in sports like men's and women's soccer I'm somewhat surprised they were a sponsoring conference for this. Already the ODAC has almost eliminated non-conf games in some sports to accommodate the membership and plays non-balanced schedules. I suppose it doesn't really matter so long as there is a conference tourney to decide the at-large, but it's going to get to the point where the ODAC will need divisions with limited crossover in some sports if they cut too many games out.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on August 11, 2014, 06:29:49 PM
I wonder if any of this is reaction to what is going on in D1 and some of the recent rulings.

I'm excited.  I thought the big conferences were going to bolt the NCAA altogether by now.  This will keep them around a little longer, but perhaps give the rest of the NCAA the push to actually figure out an alternative funding formula for the day they no longer have the March Madness cash cow.